Tick Bites

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cyclic, Feb 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im interested in anything you've been taught in dealing with these dangerous bloodsucking little fkucers ,keeping them off you and treating bites etc ?

Attached Files:

• tick.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
  2. Try a little bit of mozzie rep or cover the area with vaseline...
  3. The biggest danger is Lymes disease, the best way is to make sure that you lower legs are covered by using gaiters, and good walking trousers. If you do get a tick then hairspray will suffocate it or you can get a special tick removal tool, when you remove them make sure you get it all out or the head can break off and go septic.

As far as I am aware there is no repellent for these just being sensible when out walking, areas with high concentrations of sheep and deer seem to have higher instances of ticks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. All I know is that you have to make sure that you get the head out!I´m not too bothered about them because I keep my anti tick vaccination up to date.
  5. You can vaccinate against Lymes disease ?
  6. You can vaccinate against tick-borne encephalitis, not too sure about Lymes.
  7. Ticks are utter baskets. You can get covered in them in what seems like minutes. Both my lower legs are still covered in the marks they leave behind.

Deet doesn't seem to put them off. There is something called Permethrin, which you basically soak your boots / trousers in from the knee down, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I used to soak my legs in TCP, or Vodka, which made me smell like a Bialystok whore but it seemed to help a bit.

How can anyone believe in a God that thought it a Good Idea to add ticks to His masterpiece of creation?
  8. They really are the most pointless evil little b`stards.
  9. Absolute plagues of them on my last project in Thailand (No sucking jokes from the cheap seats perleease). We used to cover up, but the temperature was around 34C, so in the end, simple tick removal tools were bought from a pharmacy for about 50p each.

The only problem with covering a tick with Vaseline or hair spray is that you may provoke the thing into regurgitating its stomach contents into the wound it made for the purpose of sucking blood, same thing can happen if you squeeze them or burn them with a cigarette.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I still get gip from them to this day, 2 years after visiting Tick Land.

It's pointless saying avoid the areas where they hang out, because you can't. But they seem to like places where there's livestock about, so don't do what I did and go and pat the horse, rotting away in a field. Cos in five minutes, they'll be more of them on you than on the nag.

Dunno what the current army advice is, tbh.
  11. Not sure about Lymes disease,but you can get a vaccination against tick born diseases if you are in a "high risk area"or you are at risk of picking the little sods up,both of which apply to me!
    Sorry should have said that I´m in the Fatherland
  12. I get the little fcukers on me in southern Spain , usually lying around in the undergrowth waiting for wild boar, the consequences of Lymes or the likes are quite worrying.
  13. I don't think there is any really. We get told that all training areas have a tick risk and thats about it, although I suppose its taken for granted that everyone will be wearing boots and trousers on exercise.
  15. Are you sure??