Thunderbirds Are Go!

Also in for nomination for the worst travesty portrayed in film is the new battle of britain movie with tom 'I'm not short' cruise as an american voulanteer pilot who leads all the poor lonely brits to certain victory!
(the real life man the character is based on died[unfortunately] on his third sortie with no kills)

This proves the american dream: not anyone can make it, but
ANYONE IN THE U.S. CAN MAKE IT UP!

Next it will be jonny depp setting sail from dover to discover austrailia and america on his saturday morning boating trip around the bay! 8O

Only 8 American pilots took part in the Battle of Britain, and one of them was killed. There were actually more Irish pilots in the battle than American.

Fair play to all the Spams who pretended to be Canadians in the Battle of Britain and who were later lumped together in the Eagle Squadron (read Tumult in the Clouds by James A Goodson), but here's another instance of Hollywood rewriting history to suit them.
Europeans are increasingly portrayed as the bad guys (Die Hard etc) while plucky Yanks save the world.
In the book of the Blackhawk Down incident, the Rangers had several Friendly Fire incidents with the Delta operators, but the film version by Ridley Scott made no mention of this.
Is it any wonder that young Americans have no grasp of history when the movies regularly misrepresent the truth in so blatant a manner? And is it any wonder that the descendants of those who did the real fighting have such a problem with it?
George III - Best King they ever had...

V

vespa

agreed. there was a film i think called U571 where the yanks discovered the enigma machine and single handedly saved the free world (again :roll: ) even tho they were late for the war as usual.
we actually get the enigma machine shortly before the war broke out but it took us a while to figure it out

Re 'Black Hawk Down', one or two of the leading characters are played by British actors. I don't know what that says about the casting of 'heroes' in these things; I haven't seen 'Master and Commander' yet (my favourite novel in my favourite canon) but the thought of an Aussie playing Jack Aubrey - and of a lanky, good-looking streak of p playing Maturin - really does put me off the idea.

But for real rewriting of history according to the opinion of the directors, the film of 'Bloody Sunday' which has largely been accepted by US audiences as historically accurate, probably because they used hand-held cameras a la 'Blair Witch Project' for the action sequences, takes the Gold Medal.

Good thing Lord of the Rings wasn't real history, I suppose. Or was it..............?

Arkady said:
Is it any wonder that young Americans have no grasp of history when the movies regularly misrepresent the truth in so blatant a manner?
Sadder yet that the majority of my fellow countrymen, base their education on what they see on TV 8O

guess it's easier to see it on the tellie and think it's fact then to go out and research it.

vespa said:
agreed. there was a film i think called U571 where the yanks discovered the enigma machine and single handedly saved the free world (again :roll: ) even tho they were late for the war as usual.
we actually get the enigma machine shortly before the war broke out but it took us a while to figure it out
the UK film release had a caveat strapped on to the end of the movie stating the real facts and naming the two RN blokes who died during the machines capture.
Naturally, the US film release omitted this as it prtrasyed the plucky Brits in rather a different light - ie not really needing rescuing just yet ta v much...

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you want to wind up a spam about historical fact, just remind him that more Brits fought and died at the Alamo than Texans - oh, and Davy Crockett begged for his life (unsuccessfully).

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you want to wind up a spam about historical fact, just remind him that more Brits fought and died at the Alamo than Texans - oh, and Davy Crockett begged for his life (unsuccessfully).

And if you really want to tick them off, tell them that the American War of Independance was technically a civil war, as they were British at the time.

napier said:
Heard you the first time, you don't need to repeat yourself.

Actually, if you want to wind up a TEXAN, then you can say that. Personally, couldn't care fecking less.

Arkady said:
vespa said:
the UK film release had a caveat strapped on to the end of the movie stating the real facts and naming the two RN blokes who died during the machines capture.
Naturally, the US film release omitted this as it prtrasyed the plucky Brits in rather a different light - ie not really needing rescuing just yet ta v much...
The US release did include the caveat at the end. And we've been over this before. Try and come up with something else to bitch about.

I tell you, if you guys spent less time pointing fingers at the US, you might actually be able to elect a politician that was worth a shite.

I tell you, if you guys spent less time pointing fingers at the US, you might actually be able to elect a politician that was worth a shite.

at least we have a reason then for electing a useless politican

But on that logic is bubblehead trying to infer that if the Yanks werent busy rewriting history they wouldnt have elected George- I cant string two words together-Bush :?:

Bubblehead - Come back when more than 40% of the electorate bother to turn out and vote. Bush was shoehorned in with possible the lowest margin in the lowest voter turnout ever. If you dicount the Florida poll he shouldn't even be in office.
Call yourselves a Democracy? Half your population can't even be bothered to get off thier fat arses and vote and the other half probably couldn't spell the word.
One of these days we'll just reclaim the Colonies back and do the job properly...

It isn't even as straightforward as that Ark. The "first past the post" system we have means whoever gets the most votes wins. In the US the votes that are cast elect a popular decision which the electoral college of each state is free to ignore. It is the number of votes you receive from the electoral college which elects you President, not the number of votes from the people. That was the crux of the argument in Florida in 2000. By tradition the electoral colleges do not ignore the "will of the people" and vote with the popular election adding the votes of that state (the bigger the state the more the votes in the EC). The Bush legal challenge was to force the electoral college to vote Bush even though he lost the popular vote because a number of the ballots were technically void/spoiled. Bush's legal team argued that Florida had to include a number of spoils that would have otherwise been Bush votes (the pregnant chad issue of the bit of paper you are supposed to puch out into a hole dangling through the paper) to the exclusion of Gore votes that had been dissalowed for the same reason. The legal argument had nothing to do with the popular vote but which way Florida would declare.

That being said, does Blair have a mandate when only 32% of those eligible turned out to vote, of which he got roughly 60%. Blair took office with about 19% of those over 18 and not inside or insane voting for him.

Call yourselves a Democracy?
Actually, we don't. Democracy is an over- and mis-used term. The government of the US is actually a republic. Pretty much for the reason that woopert stated. And what woopert said about the EC agreeing with the popular vote is true also. There has been one (maybe two) other time that this wasn't the case.

But, for the life of me, I can't remember when it was...and really can't be bothered to go and look.

Started reading about a thunderbirds movie. Ended up at politics and voting. ........so, what's the film like then?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Provost Films, Music and All Things Artsy 0
RNMAMULL The NAAFI Bar 5