Thumb Knife Question

Anyone ever heard of an issued knife designated as a "thumb knife"?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The black bag issue Gerber is openable with a thumb. Maybe you mean that.

I was issued two types of ceramic knife. One could be opened one handed using the thumb (the other was a small backup).

They are very limited use though.

ACAB

LE
The Yanks issued a 'Benchmade Presidio' thumb operated flick knife. It was worn clipped to the thigh rig and was used to cut open body armour to treat wounded personnel.

benchmade-5000sbk-presidio-auto-axis-new[1].jpg

It is VERY feckin sharp.

That blade is longer than the thickness of body armour.

What could possibly go wrong in the hands of a spam?

Ta lads.

A boxhead asked they had a squaddie engineer type with them and he had what he told them was an issue knife and it is called a thumb knife. Personally I reckon he might have been having a little joke.

The Yanks issued a 'Benchmade Presidio' thumb operated flick knife. It was worn clipped to the thigh rig and was used to cut open body armour to treat wounded personnel.

View attachment 188895

Which begs the question: Why not issue them with hook knives so they can't self harm?

It is VERY feckin sharp.

Those cousins like these bear clawish chibs for some reason.

sarclopsmine.jpg

I won one of these at a bike rally in the early 90s, it has lived in a drawer ever since. I can think of no possible use for it that my opinel wouldn't do better.

uc2028mc.jpg

Mine is the same as this.

The black bag issue Gerber is openable with a thumb. Maybe you mean that.

Any idea what the model name was?

FEASG

LE
Somewhere I have a small blade that could be what you’re asking about. When I was given it I was told it was a copy of something SOE (or it could be OSS) were issued. It is about 5 cm long with a double sided blade with a flat tang that you would hold between Thumb and fore finger. It came with a canvas sheath that (I’m told) was designed to be sewn into clothing. If I can find the bloody thing I will put a picture up. STOP just seen JP630's post that the bugger.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The current model Swiss Army Knife is a one handed opener/lock knife. Possibly what was meant? The German Army use them as well.

Attachments

• knife.png
    knife.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 100

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
just did a google images search for thumb knife , what in jaysuses name wouds you want one of they for /
they ony have one serious use and should all be melted down and turend into childreds playgrounds. I cant beleive the gron men would what such an item . this day and age to.

Never seen them issued, but here are a few examples:
Thumb.jpg

Thumb2.jpg

Thumb3.jpg

I used to have one as part of my tool kit and it was quite useful on the odd occasion. I don't like to use it now as I have a bit of arthritis in my thumb joints. So I now have a small flick knife in my tool kit that works very well.

The blade pops out and locks in a fraction of a second at the press of a button. It's blade is razor sharp too so it's ideal for the odd occasion when you are hanging on with one hand trying to stop yourself sliding down a muddy slope in the p issing rain and setting a blade charge or disruptor on something.

I have to lock the bloody thing in the safe when not using it though and I have to remember to take it out of my kit and leave it behind when I come to the UK.

Latest Threads