Thug jailed for fatal cowardly attack on soldier.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jibman, Aug 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A man has been jailed for killing a soldier from Pembrokeshire in a "cowardly and unprovoked attack" outside a Newcastle nightclub.

Michael Ridley assaulted Staff Sgt Chris Chacksfield, 31, outside Babylon 90 in Newgate Street on 31 May.

The 22-year-old, from Newcastle, was jailed for five years after admitting manslaughter and grievous bodily harm.

Adele, the 32-year-old wife of Staff Sgt Chacksfiel, from Haverfordwest, was also injured in the incident.

Newcastle Crown Court had earlier heard the soldier was staying at Albermarle Barracks in Northumberland at the time of the attack. He had been allowed a night off to spend time with his wife.

Sgt Chris Chacksfield's widow Adele described her late husband as a "gentle giant" who was passionate about life
    Staff Sgt Chacksfield, a father-of-one, was taken to hospital after the attack, but died from head injuries three days later.

His wife was released after treatment.

Police said the soldier of the 14th Signal Regiment (Electronic Warfare), who was with colleagues at the time of the incident, had not been in uniform at the time and was not believed to have been targeted because of his occupation.

After sentencing, Det Ch Insp Steve Binks, of Northumbria Police, said: "Chris Chacksfield died following a cowardly and unprovoked attack by a stranger.

"Ridley's actions on that night have devastated a family, robbed a little girl of her father and taken away a distinguished military career. It's a tragic and senseless waste.

"Nothing can make up for Chris's death, but I hope the outcome of this investigation will give some sense of closure to his family and help them to start to move on with their lives.

"I would like to pay tribute to Adele Chacksfield, who, despite also being injured in this incident, has shown great courage and dignity throughout the investigation and judicial process."

The court was told Staff Sgt Chacksfield met his wife, who is a British Army nurse, while on active service.

The prosecution said amateur boxer Ridley, of Sceptre Place, Newcastle, landed a ferocious punch on the soldier after they apparently bumped into each other.

Some witnesses said a single blow felled the couple, who had been walking arm-in-arm through the city centre.

The soldier's widow Adele described him as a "gentle giant" who cared deeply for his family.

She said she could not remember anything about Ridley's attack, but added that prison was "the best place for him".

Judge Esmond Faulks told Ridley: "This was a dreadful tragedy brought about by your behaviour."

After he was arrested, police found testosterone used by body builders at Ridley's home.

2. A whole 5 years, wow! Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime...... I take it there will be an appeal on the leniency of this sentence?

3. Sad waste of a good life, taken by a low life. 5 years? Just doesn't seem fair does it.

4. On the same day, another bloke gets 8 years for hanging onto a stolen book.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

5. So he'll be 24 or 25 when he's released? Because he'll only do have that minus any remand time already served. F***ing lovely.

6. Pathetic. The scumbag will be out in 2 - 3 years.

What's the maximum sentence for Manslaughter?

7. 8 years I think,the sentence is pathetic.

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Can be Life according to here: HM Prison Service - Life Sentenced Prisoners

Discretionary for those over the age of 21

9. What did Cameron say about Broken Britain again? Does he have the bo11ocks to do anything about it? Does he f***.

10. Meet the new boss. Just as big a cnut as the old boss...

11. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its not Cameron. Its the judges. Bunch of left wing cunts the lot of them.

12. I must say it seems a ridiculously short sentence, especially as he had trained as a boxer. In my day that would have been worth five years on a GBH.

13. Very true,I know one of the boxers in our club went down for an attack in a club but that was over 20 years ago,maybe the rules for sentencing have changed.

14. Poor show indeed.

'You are a menace to society as a young man, try again when you are middle aged, 20 years, best of luck, march out.'

But blaming Cameron is just plain stupid.

When I say stupid, I mean as thick as mince.

15. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

5 sodding years?

That's the same as a basic mandatory Firearms Offence; ie me being caught by the plod walking down the street with a slightly over-sprung air rifle.

Utter fucking crap!