Throwing a Sicky

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by JuniorBod, Aug 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Again i submit this for your humble opinions

What is the deal with sickies nowadays????

Bod reports sick today, signed off for three days - no probs with that siht happens.

However due to go on leave AD Fri (third day of Biff Chit) - do they need to report sick again to be cleared prior to to proceeding on leave?? being of the older generation I was always under the impression that you couldnt go on leave if you were sick and needed to be seen by a doctor before you could proceed on leave. Is this still the case?????

As an aside the individual in question has just pulled the 40th sickie this year, if this was a civil servant i could instigate restoring efficiency measures, i have suggested the Line Manager meets with the MO to ensure thta we are providing sufficient 'duty of care' checking to make sure there are no underlying factors.

But as ever open to your sugestions / wisdom.

JB

2. Sorry but regardless of whether the individual is a lazy malingerer or not you have absolutely no right to medical information concerning them. It's private and confidential and of no concern to you. Yes there are skiving ******* about but it's high time unqualified interferers stop thinking they can micro manage every aspect of soldiers lives. The day the petty individuals quit prying then the Army will be a better and more productive organisation. Also people need to stop using "duty of care " as an excuse to be analy retentive (Sorry! micro rant over)

3. You have a right for the Line Manager to discuss issues with the Doctor re their absence, but not factors specific to the individual i.e. you could phrase questions such as: is there any way in which the individuals illness(es) is/are caused by their occupational environment. If they say no then you are limited by medical condfidentiality. If the answer is yes the doctor should be requested to call in external expertise i.e. an Occ Health Doc/Nurse or the local Env Health Team, these have less restricted access to Med Info relevent to the case. I am not entirely sure but I believe you can seek guidance from the military equivilant on the EMAS (employment medical advisory service), best way is to approach your local Div Med branch for guidance. Hope this helps.

4. I would have thought that he needs to see the MO, before proceeding on leave. I left ages ago, so times might have changed. Who signed the biff chit. Forty sickies in one year should attract the attention of the MO, unless he has not being seeing him and he's been chittied up by the RMA/CMT. A quiet word in his shell like woun't go amiss, just you and him, then put it up the chain of command. Something needs to be done with this waste of fresh air.IMHO.

5. Woofy

didnt want medical info...want to know if they can go straight on leave without coming off the sick

JB

6. Sorry but regardless of whether the individual is a lazy malingerer or not you have absolutely no right to medical information concerning them. It's private and confidential and of no concern to you. Yes there are skiving ******* about but it's high time unqualified interferers stop thinking they can micro manage every aspect of soldiers lives. The day the petty individuals quit prying then the Army will be a better and more productive organisation. Also people need to stop using "duty of care " as an excuse to be analy retentive (Sorry! micro rant over)

Wooah WOOFY!! A bit of a defensive rant here.. I agree that medical matters should be in confidence, but if an individual is unable to carry out his duty then his 'line manager' has every right to know whether his problems are genuine or not. If they are, then perhaps they should be dealt with. I suggest that if a SOLDIER (who must be a fit individual by definition of his chosen profession) has been sick 40 times in a year, then he has got a genuine problem that should be addressed. Nothing to do with 'prying', as you put it, but effective management of the TEAM, of which each individual is an important part.

7. To the best of my knowledge, being on a B disposal does not prevent a soldier from taking leave.

The more important issue is this individual going sick many times (is 40 an actual figure, or an approximate exaggeration for effect?). Ours is a physically demanding employment and those who lack the physical robustness to be effective soldiers should not be in the job. Likewise, those who lack the mental robustness (and so "throw sickies" on a regular basis) should not be in the job.

Either way his conduct and effectiveness should come under review.

Whilst a person cannot be denied promotion due to fitness state, if a person's lack of fitness means that they have been unable to demonstrate a suitability for promotion, you are perfectly entitled to say so and withhold recommendation.

More practically, you can have a word with the MO.

As an adjt I often used to call up the doc when I knew a potential malingerer was going sick and to ask him to brief me on how genuine he believed the complaint was. The doc was up to speed on the implications to a soldier for malingering and used to explain the points to a soldier he thought was pulling the wool.

Finally, one can - of course - speak to the soldier and remind him/her about things like loyalty, discipline and selfless commitment. If you can show failure in these areas, then you may have grounds for a 3MWO or a Formal Warning (AGAI67) followed swiftly by a kick onto civvie street.

IF

8. 40 days is actual days off this year

the area of concern for me is if the soldier is sick enough to be bedded down in MQ, then they are too sick to proceed directly on leave without a review, even if the review only confirms that they are fit to go on leave. what happens if there is no review, they bugger off to outer mongolia fall sick on leave and snuff it due to local med facilities ineptitude. Im sure someone would pose the question why were they on leave without med review to give them the all clear. as ever im sure it would be our hoops in the firing line

9. any views from any medicos who may be in the know

10. The chit will specify whether the individual requires a review or not. If no review is specified, then he can do whatever he likes. As his employer, it is perfectly appropriate for you request a chat with the MO to discuss your concerns, I am sure you will not be the first boss to see him about a malingering subordinate. The Doc will know how to go about things. On another note, many young lads who decide to end it all by stringing themselves up in the drying room with their girlfriend's underwear are often found, retrospectively, to have been serial sickies, always a different and non-descript complaint. Perhaps if their MOs and bosses like you, had shown concern at an earlier stage they might have worked things out. So regardless of whether he's a troubled soldier or a malingering c*nt, if you get together with the MO you should be able to sort him out between you. Good luck!

11. I am always bamboozled bt this type of case.

I think some people forget we are supposed to be SOLDIERS!!!!!

Soldiers are not - Fat, Lazy Cnuts who cannot pass BFT's (sorry BPFA's)

Or who report for sick parade 40 times in one year!!

Get this guy out, use F-Med7

12. An Out-patient Record? Might have your work cut out there mate!:lol: