Three US Carrier Groups To Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Mar 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. USS Theodore Roosevelt, USS Carl Vinson, and a third carrier, name not specified, are headed for the Mediterranean, according to "IndiaDaily," in a story by Sudhir Chadda.

"Converging U.S. Navy aircraft carrier groups in Middle East send strong message to Iran and Syria"
    http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/1877.asp

2. I'm sorry , didn't Bush 43/44 announce yesterday he was going to offer the Iranians all sorts of incentives to play ball?

3. incentive.

4. Today the Iranians said "they would never give up their nuclear fuel problem". Makes negotiating difficult if the other side doesnt want to play ball. Anyway looks like the Iranian's have more immediate trouble with their population.

The administration says that Syria must withdraw its army and intel personnel from Lebanon before Lebanese elections.

The French Navy have the A608 Var off the coast of Lebanon. The Var has the ability to support up to 200 commandoes.

5. I'd say that three carriers were a pretty good incentive.

I'm all for taking a potential nuke capability off of a potential user of said capability before it becomes one, lets just hope he has a better plan than he did with the "liberation" of Iraq.

6. Now can I get this straight, exactly which country is it that is led by a bunch of right wing religious fundementalists, where you can't get promoted beyond about Col in its military if your agnostic/atheist; where supportres of the government party in the military openly tout their political allegiences, and where those who support the main opposition say nothing because they know it will adversly affect their career and which also has several thousand nuclear weapons?

7. I can't see the UK playing if Dubya decides to pick a fight with Iran or Syria. The public backlash would unseat Bliar if he is still around. If 2million cannot stop Bliar going to war by marching in London, many of them will find other ways of expressing their displeasure.

8. Bush frightens me. I do wonder if he is an escaped puppet from Spitting Image who is just running wild.
    Once it was WMD then when none where found it became Installing Democracy in Mid East good line that.
    Now Syria and Iran, will Blur be daft enouh to follow ? heven help us.
    jon

9. Actually we have been blessed to have GW. At critical periods in US history
    we have had a President that actually led - FDR, Reagan and Bush II all three 2 term Presidents [FDR had 3].

10. 8O

Sorry T6 couldn't resist :D . You did leave JFK out though?

11. I dont think JFK was in office long enough. He was off to a good start with the Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam. Had he had 2 term's I might have added him to the others.

12. There is a very large ASW ex planned for the Med.

13. Timing is everything. 8)

14. Ten NATO nations will provide six submarines, ten maritime patrol aircraft and 16 surface ships to take part in NOBLE MARLIN 05 (NM 05), the world’s largest anti-submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise from 03 to 16 March 2005.

The exercise will take place in the Ionian Sea to the Southeast of Sicily. Forces are provided by Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

World’s Largest Annual Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercise
    NATO
    Feb 28, 2005, 12:23

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_002204.shtml