THREE SCORE AND TEN. NOW WHAT?

Enjoy your twilight years waiting for that knock on the door and the investigation of "historical" offences.
Sadly been there and done that mate, with no consequences at the time, but you are right the barstewards are still lurking in the woodwork.

When someone gets to the age of 70, as I have, it gives a kind of perspective,

Like not worrying any more about long-term issues, such as - will Global Warming result in the melting of the Earth's polar ice-caps, resulting in sea-level rises of 10 metres by 2100, with consequent flooding of major coastal cities.

Or - on a grander scale, what will humanity eventually achieve. Will we destroy ourselves, or go on to conquer the entire Universe. And what will the ultimate destiny of the Universe itself be - to fade out into an ever-expanding vacuity. Or collapse, then rebound into a new "Big Bang", followed by an endlessly repeated cycle of such pulsations.

None of that need trouble us - once we're dead. When you, as an individual, die and cease to exist, so, from your perspective, does the entire Universe cease to exist. What arguments can be proposed to deny this obvious truism?
Hmmn...pass the port and the Webley stuff there mate.

Had a good 34 fight run as an amateur boxer, watching the modern mixed stuff has no appeal for me, there was respect in the boxing ring in the day and that seems not to be the norm' now.
I tip my hat to you again. The old timers are often the better fighters, and I've been dropped a few times by martial artists in their 60s.

Niamac

GCM
Life's too short to drink bad wine or to waste it on the ungrateful. Keep going and cherish friends.

A thoroughly well liked and respected bloke too, don't forget that Grandad

You could always cheer up?

Seriously mate, fair play for surviving all that, and I don't just mean the yellow Handbags and scummy Detmold bars
Thanks for that mucker, always cheerful that stems from being a part of the brilliant regiment as was, that we both enjoyed. I deny all knowledge on the location of any bars in Detmold your worship.

70? Look forward to shitting yourself. Horlicks and err.... shitting yourself.

That should cover it.
I managed to do that last night and I'm nowhere near 70 nor drinking Horlicks.

Sadly been there and done that mate, with no consequences at the time, but you are right the barstewards are still lurking in the woodwork.
I think we all have a bit of that lurking in the shadows just waiting for the Emperor to push it into the light.

Three score years and ten? Bloody whinging kids.

Wake up, wiggle fingers and toes, if it all works, leap gaily from yer pit and get on with it. I expect your only regret is not having been in the 11th!

69 this year the amount of times I wanted a 69 in my younger years ehhh. good times still to come, excuse the freudian slip but I sometimes think of my mortality but most of the time just enjoy life and very glad I made it to this age. One of my grandads, his son my mums brother and my dad only made it to 36 . my mum was ecstatic when I and my brother made it past 36

Well it has been a roller coaster getting this far, the big 70 looms just 2 months away.

Glasgow born RAF pad brat, grammar school education, then to spite the old man into the army, did the 22 years during which had a lot of fun, AAC air crewman for 2 years.
Attempted "them", got an invite to attend at Brecon, politely declined as pre selection in the jungle convinced me that the fleshpots of Singapore and Hong Kong held more attraction for a then 21 year old.

All the way up in RAC from recce troop driver ............S/Sgt troop leader on the Chieftain oil slicks. regimental gunnery boss, then SSM of a sabre squadron.
Finish off as the badge away from the regiment, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Civvie street , bloody hell a year as an op's manager for a big company, surrounded by yes men who could not make an instant decision, due to a blame culture that saw heads roll every Monday.
Endless power point meetings, non of which gave solutions to every day on the ground problems, dear god put me back on the tank park.

Enough, decided to go my own way, over the next 10 years starting at the proverbial kitchen table managed to build a network of contacts and contracts which eventually having been on 24/7, minimum wage and having a very understanding bank manager,( when there was such a thing ) I was made an offer not to be refused by one of the big boys in the game.

Yahoo, mortgage ,albeit very small paid off, his and hers new motors, no kids so no expense there, bucket list from cruises to business class flights.

Got the golf handicap to 10, new house by the sea, at the age of 53 the big C strikes, got through it with some damage physical and mental, but hey two aspirin and back on parade two years later ish'.
Going good then out of nowhere a blood clot , heart attack , no blocked arteries so where the hell did that come from? Another 12 months rehab' screwed the handicap a bit.
Decided to do some voluntary stuff, medical first responder, great stuff, got involved in training young un's who had screwed up school, to catch up and learn a trade( lock and safe) brilliant 12 months on one girl and two lads get accepted for engineering apprenticeships.

Banged on a bit, so what now? the bones are knackered the brain thankfully so far is good, can still find the way back from the pub.

Summary, ok for money, no debt, still pretty switched on mentally struggling to find some thing to motivate me to keep being involved, so at three score and ten am I now redundant in real terms?
bearing your soul on arrse will cleanse you and make you a better man
find yourself a nubile 18yr old to wine dine and 69, blow the cash on a sports car and drink bollinger.
either that or enjoy the life you have had the experience and give yourself a pat on the back for doing well!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Time for a younger wife and kids:omfg:

69 this year the amount of times I wanted a 69 in my younger years ehhh. good times still to come, excuse the freudian slip but I sometimes think of my mortality but most of the time just enjoy life and very glad I made it to this age. One of my grandads, his son my mums brother and my dad only made it to 36 . my mum was ecstatic when I and my brother made it past 36

Me too, retired 3 years ago, after 50 years on site, and in the mob as a tradesmen, I worked harder on the family pile since retirement, than I ever did on the precious weekends I got at home, the garden helps, as do my books and scribbling for the local rag, both of these pursuits keep the old brain cells ticking over. Unlike your family mine have the good fortune of long lives, mum and dad are both alive, just, 87 & 92 respectively, so if the DNA is inherited I hope to check out at 107, drunk, being chased by a jealous husband.

But for now I will enjoy the years left, doing as I dam well please, army and state pension, and a small personal pension, is sufficient, mortgage paid, kids all flown away, house painted and refurbished to within an inch of its life, new motor last year, and the kids bought the memsahib and I a years season tickets for the national trust, brilliant, the history of merrie England laid out in front of your very eyes, something the septic's would give their right arm for ( When not shooting up schools, shopping malls etc) worth a day out, all white hair and veracious veins, and not a noisy kid in sight.

No more rolling out at dark O'clock in the morning, now, about 08.00, a long leisurely breakfast, slow read of the papers, peruse Arrse for an hour or so, then into the village by bus, pick up the Metro free paper, old farts pass saves me a few quid,, mooch about, have a coffee in the local café, nip into the cigar shop for my daily cheroot, pop into the charity shop, I've bought some wonderful books, and all cheap as chips, then a slow walk back along the tranquil towpath of the rural canal that passes but yards from our front door, about 1.5 miles.

Its a hard life, I think I can adapt to the rigors of retirement, its nice to be able to not to have to look at the price of something small and innocuous that takes your fancy, like the panama hat I got, ready for the summer months. Message to all you old campaigners out there, when your time comes, embrace it with both arms, its bloody wonderful, the alternative is misery and total oblivion.

Last edited:
Well done sir for a life well lived.

My t'pennoth would be to go back into the voluntary service route. There's a whole world waiting for your mentorship and advice. Also have a think about public speaking, maybe start with WI groups, schools, colleges etc. People would would give you an ear and take on board some of life's lessons you've learned over your years.

Well it has been a roller coaster getting this far, the big 70 looms just 2 months away.

Glasgow born RAF pad brat, grammar school education, then to spite the old man into the army, did the 22 years during which had a lot of fun, AAC air crewman for 2 years.
Attempted "them", got an invite to attend at Brecon, politely declined as pre selection in the jungle convinced me that the fleshpots of Singapore and Hong Kong held more attraction for a then 21 year old.

All the way up in RAC from recce troop driver ............S/Sgt troop leader on the Chieftain oil slicks. regimental gunnery boss, then SSM of a sabre squadron.
Finish off as the badge away from the regiment, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Civvie street , bloody hell a year as an op's manager for a big company, surrounded by yes men who could not make an instant decision, due to a blame culture that saw heads roll every Monday.
Endless power point meetings, non of which gave solutions to every day on the ground problems, dear god put me back on the tank park.

Enough, decided to go my own way, over the next 10 years starting at the proverbial kitchen table managed to build a network of contacts and contracts which eventually having been on 24/7, minimum wage and having a very understanding bank manager,( when there was such a thing ) I was made an offer not to be refused by one of the big boys in the game.

Yahoo, mortgage ,albeit very small paid off, his and hers new motors, no kids so no expense there, bucket list from cruises to business class flights.

Got the golf handicap to 10, new house by the sea, at the age of 53 the big C strikes, got through it with some damage physical and mental, but hey two aspirin and back on parade two years later ish'.
Going good then out of nowhere a blood clot , heart attack , no blocked arteries so where the hell did that come from? Another 12 months rehab' screwed the handicap a bit.
Decided to do some voluntary stuff, medical first responder, great stuff, got involved in training young un's who had screwed up school, to catch up and learn a trade( lock and safe) brilliant 12 months on one girl and two lads get accepted for engineering apprenticeships.

Banged on a bit, so what now? the bones are knackered the brain thankfully so far is good, can still find the way back from the pub.

Summary, ok for money, no debt, still pretty switched on mentally struggling to find some thing to motivate me to keep being involved, so at three score and ten am I now redundant in real terms?
Volunteer work. Keeps you active. Gets you meeting people and gives you a reason to get up in the morning.

Three score years and ten? Bloody whinging kids.

Wake up, wiggle fingers and toes, if it all works, leap gaily from yer pit and get on with it. I expect your only regret is not having been in the 11th![/QUOTE]

I certainly was, 11th signal regiment. Catterick, the worlds bigest above ground open sewer.

Latest Threads