THREE SCORE AND TEN. NOW WHAT?

Well it has been a roller coaster getting this far, the big 70 looms just 2 months away.

Glasgow born RAF pad brat, grammar school education, then to spite the old man into the army, did the 22 years during which had a lot of fun, AAC air crewman for 2 years.
Attempted "them", got an invite to attend at Brecon, politely declined as pre selection in the jungle convinced me that the fleshpots of Singapore and Hong Kong held more attraction for a then 21 year old.

All the way up in RAC from recce troop driver ............S/Sgt troop leader on the Chieftain oil slicks. regimental gunnery boss, then SSM of a sabre squadron.
Finish off as the badge away from the regiment, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Civvie street , bloody hell a year as an op's manager for a big company, surrounded by yes men who could not make an instant decision, due to a blame culture that saw heads roll every Monday.
Endless power point meetings, non of which gave solutions to every day on the ground problems, dear god put me back on the tank park.

Enough, decided to go my own way, over the next 10 years starting at the proverbial kitchen table managed to build a network of contacts and contracts which eventually having been on 24/7, minimum wage and having a very understanding bank manager,( when there was such a thing ) I was made an offer not to be refused by one of the big boys in the game.

Yahoo, mortgage ,albeit very small paid off, his and hers new motors, no kids so no expense there, bucket list from cruises to business class flights.

Got the golf handicap to 10, new house by the sea, at the age of 53 the big C strikes, got through it with some damage physical and mental, but hey two aspirin and back on parade two years later ish'.
Going good then out of nowhere a blood clot , heart attack , no blocked arteries so where the hell did that come from? Another 12 months rehab' screwed the handicap a bit.
Decided to do some voluntary stuff, medical first responder, great stuff, got involved in training young un's who had screwed up school, to catch up and learn a trade( lock and safe) brilliant 12 months on one girl and two lads get accepted for engineering apprenticeships.

Banged on a bit, so what now? the bones are knackered the brain thankfully so far is good, can still find the way back from the pub.

Summary, ok for money, no debt, still pretty switched on mentally struggling to find some thing to motivate me to keep being involved, so at three score and ten am I now redundant in real terms?

Last edited:

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well it has been a roller coaster getting this far, the big 70 looms just 2 months away.

Glasgow born RAF pad brat, grammar school education, then to spite the old man into the army, did the 22 years during which had a lot of fun, AAC air crewman for 2 years.
Attempted "them", got an invite to attend at Brecon, politely declined as pre selection in the jungle convinced me that the fleshpots of Singapore and Hong Kong held more attraction for a then 21 year old.

All the way up in RAC from recce troop driver ............S/Sgt troop leader on the Chieftain oil slicks. regimental gunnery boss, then SSM of a sabre squadron.

Civvie street , bloody hell a year as an op's manager for a big security company, surrounded by yes men who could not make an instant decision, due to a blame culture that saw heads roll every Monday.
Endless power point meetings, non of which gave solutions to every day on the ground problems, dear god put me back on the tank park.

Enough, decided to go my own way, over the next 10 years starting at the proverbial kitchen table managed to build a network of contacts and contracts which eventually having been on 24/7, minimum wage and having a very understanding bank manager,( when there was such a thing ) I was made an offer not to be refused by one of the big boys in the game.

Yahoo, mortgage ,albeit very small paid off, his and hers new motors, no kids so no expense there, bucket list from cruises to business class flights.

Got the golf handicap to 10, new house by the sea, at the age of 53 the big C strikes, got through it with some damage physical and mental, but hey two aspirin and back on parade two years later ish'.
Going good then out of nowhere a blood clot , heart attack , no blocked arteries so where the hell did that come from? Another 12 months rehab' screwed the handicap a bit.
Decided to do some voluntary stuff, medical first responder, great stuff, got involved in training young un's who had screwed up school, to catch up and learn a trade( lock and safe) brilliant 12 months on one girl and two lads get accepted for engineering apprenticeships.

Banged on a bit, so what now? the bones are knackered the brain thankfully so far is good, can still find the way back from the pub.

Summary, ok for money, no debt, still pretty switched on mentally struggling to find some thing to motivate me to keep being involved, so at three score and ten am I now redundant in real terms?
Cocaine and hookers?

A life well lived btw

You’ve crammed a lot in so far and it sounds like you’ve been in the wars health wise. Count your blessings and “Carry on Sergeant Major” for at least another 20 years or so.

Civvie street , bloody hell a year as an op's manager for a big security company, surrounded by yes men who could not make an instant decision, due to a blame culture that saw heads roll every Monday.

Yes.

70? Look forward to shitting yourself. Horlicks and err.... shitting yourself.

That should cover it.

A thoroughly well liked and respected bloke too, don't forget that Grandad

You could always cheer up?

Seriously mate, fair play for surviving all that, and I don't just mean the yellow Handbags and scummy Detmold bars

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Sprog.

Which RAC regt out of interest? Tank regt or Cavalry?

ETA.

Well done by the way.:highfive:

That's one hell of a life you've lived. Mine pales in comparison.

Have you thought about learning Krav Maga and taking up cage fighting as a hobby?
Had a good 34 fight run as an amateur boxer, watching the modern mixed stuff has no appeal for me, there was respect in the boxing ring in the day and that seems not to be the norm' now.

A thoroughly well liked and respected bloke too, don't forget that Grandad

You could always cheer up?

Seriously mate, fair play for surviving all that, and I don't just mean the yellow Handbags and scummy Detmold bars
Always cheerful mucker, part and parcel of the brilliant regimental spirit we shared. You take care out there. Young sprogs harrumph!

When someone gets to the age of 70, as I have, it gives a kind of perspective,

Like not worrying any more about long-term issues, such as - will Global Warming result in the melting of the Earth's polar ice-caps, resulting in sea-level rises of 10 metres by 2100, with consequent flooding of major coastal cities.

Or - on a grander scale, what will humanity eventually achieve. Will we destroy ourselves, or go on to conquer the entire Universe. And what will the ultimate destiny of the Universe itself be - to fade out into an ever-expanding vacuity. Or collapse, then rebound into a new "Big Bang", followed by an endlessly repeated cycle of such pulsations.

None of that need trouble us - once we're dead. When you, as an individual, die and cease to exist, so, from your perspective, does the entire Universe cease to exist. What arguments can be proposed to deny this obvious truism?

Latest Threads