Three Peaks Challenge

A few of the lads are doing the Three Peaks Challenge in June in aid of the ABF and a few local charities.
Any body done it? Any good advice regarding prep? Any views?

Get seriously fit and you will have to run up aswell as down.

The_Duke

LE
NINJA69,

Best advice - make sure you have a good support team and drivers. I took a team of 4, and we self drove. To be honest, it was getting dangerous by the end. The climbs were not too bad, but trying to navigate and drive in between them got a bit knackering.

Enjoy Sca Fell by torchlight!

the best advice i can offer would echo the dukes words, make sure everyone is super keen to join you, help and support you. the only way you will do the challenge in 24 hours will be to have the help and support of a good medic and admin team good luck... when are you doing it?

The_Vet said:
Run, Oh dear!
looks like your gonna have to pull your tripe out on this one, living like a lord is taken its toll...i'd blame you pti!

u looked fat on the tv on saturday too....likable titties are for winners

The_Duke said:
NINJA69,

Best advice - make sure you have a good support team and drivers. I took a team of 4, and we self drove. To be honest, it was getting dangerous by the end. The climbs were not too bad, but trying to navigate and drive in between them got a bit knackering.

Enjoy Sca Fell by torchlight! second that one my unit did it 2 years ago its a hard one Sca fell is the worst one make sure u have a couple of drivers/ HQ team to back u up

Moving_Taget_survivor thanks for the info.

I have just come back off the biggest hill nearest to my house spending a couple of hours training and have just raided all the food in the house, so we will have to take numerous scabby horses on the trip.

We have got some support from our unit but we have got corpoate sponsorship for most of the things we need.
We are not trying to set any kind of records but we wont be hanging around, we have got a couple of drivers and we have all started to train.
(THE_VET you have started to train)?

Thanks for the advice guys.

PFT, What you on about? I would still kick your puny butt, THE GUT IS GOING, YOUR GINGER PYABS ARE HERE FOR GOOD :D

Moving_Target_Survivor (MTS)

The PM that you sent me was good but if there is more then pass the info, Why PM it? is it sensitive material? others who are doing it will want the same info, spread the wealth.
Paddy, when you die on the hills we can all eat you, me thinks there is enough to go around.

P.S. All, THE_VET looks like paddy out of emmerdale and his picture.

Posted this elsewhere...

Ive done it twice. Once as driver / admin and once walking.

I would advise a sensible trustworthy driver, who can be relied upon, he should be doubled up and provide admin for the walkers ( cook, map reading etc).

The walk I believe is a good hard test of endurance and in a lot of ways I believe would be a good replacement for the CFT, it SHOULD be achievable I believe by about 70% of squaddies (walking only, no need to run or climb).

Timings, if I remeber correctly are roughly.
Walk Ben Nevis 5 Hours
Drive to Scafell Pike 5 1/2 Hours (time starts)
Walk Scafell Pike 4 Hours
Drive to Snowdon 4 1/2 Hours
Walk Snowdon 4 Hours ( time stops at train station)
Total 23 Hours

This gives an hour spare, the traffic can be a problem, as can the light. The Fire Brigade challenge rules insist on 10 Hours minimun driving.
They also have a challenge called the 'platinum challenge' which is to complete the event in under 17 1/2 Hours. That is HARD and a good achievement.

Hope this helps.

Head torches - good for moral and easier than torches.

Not done any of the three peaks by torchlight (two by day) but have found that headtorches really reduce the strain.

Pack weight as well - share kit, only take what you need up. Run down Snowdon last summer and to be honest it's a pretty easy jog as long as you know when it's stupid to run as you'll turn your ankle over.

Latest Threads