Three Peakers blamed for shocking state of Scafell Pike (Lake District)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pandaplodder, Jul 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Wasdale Mountain Rescue Teams Facebook page today:

This doesn't surprise me, I lived most of the last decade up in the Lake District (I know Snowdonia is just as bad) and the mess and rubbish left behind by hill walkers was sickening but it was always worse when a three peaks type event was held (a lot are badly organised).

What's even worse is when something goes wrong its unpaid volunteers in the Mountain Rescue Teams that have to sort it out, even though the MRT's are charities they never seem to benefit from three peaks type events anyway.

If your planning such an event please take heed about the damage being done.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Also plan to bung some cash to the local MRT?
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

all the open spaces are like that now thanks to chavvy families day trippin. how can they complain of urine smells in this weather?

snipers on the fells for littering - its the only way.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Come to Scotland, with the Open Access laws you can spread your shite and rubbish pretty much where you want now.

Why carry your empty cans and bottle down the hill when you can leave them at the top. Soon the cairns will be built with lager tins rather than stones on some routes.

As for the amount of Lidl bags left on the shores of some of the lochs, they make great nests for the ducks.

5. Roseberry Topping outside Redcar is like that as well, I went for a trek up there a few months back and it was covered in litter dropping chav families from middlesbrough out for the day in "wor countryside like". Its not the highest or most challenging climb, but its alright and the views are good from the top. It was amusing sat on the peak watching sweaty inappropriately dressed chavettes trying to get up it in heels and skirts
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Is there a piss house on the summit of Scafell now?.Wasdale head now resembles a Butlins camp,there was even one lass complaining she couldn't get a proper picture on her idiot lantern.Further to G-G's snipers add Gympys in S.F to mop up the stragglers fleeing off the fells.
  7. It's because we give them motability cars.
  8. Grumblegrunt

what they should do is place wardens in the car parks, if you do not have any litter on you then you get fined 50 quid. or offer free car parking for every bin bag full they bring back.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Who's we?.
  10. You are right 2/51 The bastards are everywhere, someone said snipers were the answer well, I have the time if someone can lend me a rifle.
  11. It's annoying as $%#^ that idiots can't be bothered to pack out their gash, even on a mole hill like Sca Fell.
    I often pick up others sweet wrappers and drink bottles on the way back to road ends on hill walks down here.
    Not too bad in National parks as it takes a bit of effort to get there and out into the good stuff, but the hills closer to home do get their share of lazy inconsiderate twunts who probably go to work and say they had a lovely time in the hills over the weekend.
    Forgetting to mention the crap they left behind.
  12. Grumblegrunt

I went though a phase of picking up cans on my cycle to and from work 20 years ago, we aren't talking housing estates but 14 miles of country lanes and outer ring road.

I used to average one bin bag of squashed cans every two months. I gave them to charity but if they did the deposit scheme they have in the states I could have made a few bob.
  13. The lads that did the RAF MR Everest expedition a few years back said the base camp area was an absolute shit house.

Its beyond me why people that are keen to go on the hill, and to remote places could even contemplate not taking their crap home. I hate these people with a deep and abiding hatred.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Grumblegrunt

mind you we can talk, how many training areas did we dig holes for gash only to dig up the last lot.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. That should help a few lads from the infantry out with a bit of honest labour once the redundancies come into effect.

I reckon you could be onto something there.
    • Like Like x 1