Three on control orders abscond

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Three Men do a Bunk

2. Had Labour actually been tough on terrorist filth they'd have been locked up and couldn't have buggered off.

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Am I reading this right? (apologies if not). People with no criminal convictions whatsoever can be required to report to a police station/monitoring company every day on the the basis of a suspicion? Without trial?

4. That is correct Sixty.

Before the courts decided it was illegal this government held people in prison without charge as well. It was because the lawlords decided against the government that control orders were brought out.

5. Just ask around the council offices, theyve all probably been given free housing and extra benefits. Im quite suprised they havent been found a job gardening to enable them an easier chance to get hold of some fertilizer :wink: :wink:

If they do catch them I would get them to move in with Shami Chakrabarti

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights group Liberty, said the control order regime compromised security and fairness.

"Innocent people are punished without trial and the potentially less innocent easily escape," she said.

Im sure he wouldnt mnd INNOCENT men moving in with him :twisted:

6. Sixty

Jebus. That's scary. If they had grounds to subject them to control orders then taking them to court with their evidence would make sense then? (and the fact they might have fcuked off may have made that the sensible option). Either convict or not.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Firstly Ms Chakrabati is a 'she'.

Secondly, she did point out (as quoted by you above) that one of the problems with the Control Order regime was that it would allow guilty people to escape.

Not her biggest fan, but it seems that she had a point.

8. Indeed. Makes you wonder who is the biggest threat to British society, its sense of values, and its chosen way of life. :x

10. These arent law abiding citizens your talking about, they are suspect terrorists who have weasel lawyers. I hope you havent got your political head on tonight SVEN and going to stick up for this scum. :evil:

11. Easy one to answer, the terrorist and their supporters are the biggest threat.

12. sorry my bratty fingers slipped on the s :oops: I wonder if her views would change if she was a casualty of terrorism.

13. Er.... happens all the time mate... it's called being on bail! When on bail from police or more usually from a court, you're technically innocent (unconvicted - awaiting trial) and will have certain restrictions - Bail conditions- imposed upon you e.g. report to local certain times each day or on certain days (mon, wed, fri etc), must live and sleep each night at a specified address, abide by a curfew (1900-0700 or 2200 - 0600 especially good for burglars!) and/or wear a tag that alerts a security company when you breach these rules, who then tell the old bill who then come and nick you.

Great in theory, bag o balls in practice... tags dont work or constantly go off when not in breach, non tagged curfew subjuects have to be checked by police (ties up cops and people just disappear)

Prison is far far more secure.

14. Hi Dub, you're still not geting a fiver... :wink:

15. Sixty