Three decades ago on this day, the Bell-Boeing V-22 took flight

It was today 3 decades ago, that the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey first flew ....and then SecDef Dick Cheney canned the program only for the George Bush Administration revived it. Think this prototype resides in the American Helicopter Museum in West Chester, PA. Shame the army pulled out of the original JVX program...

Cheers

(Images courtesy of Bell)

D8A22634-A038-4DA5-93B4-99C52F92BCE1.jpeg

0B4F7B35-915C-45A8-9D59-5AD796F66112.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Saw a pair of them flying over my house a year or two back.

It was dusk and they were all lit up.

Genuinely thought I was seeing an alien spacecraft for a few seconds.

Mental looking things.

I've flown in them several times, the transition between the VTOL take off, and forward flight is a sensation best described as "odd".

Last edited:
I've flown in them several times, the transition between the VTOL take off, and forward flight is sensation best described as "odd".
Any particular lucky mascots you take on board with you? Because if it was me, I'd be pushing the safe take-off limit weight with the number of worry beads I'd have draped on me.

Any particular lucky mascots you take on board with you? Because if it was me, I'd be pushing the safe take-off limit weight with the number of worry beads I'd have draped on me.
Before every flight mate.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've flown in them several times, the transition between the VTOL take off, and forward flight is sensation best described as "odd".
'Clonk'...

The V-22’s poor safety reputation is largely due to several high-profile, fatal accidents during developmental and early operational flying; it was, let’s remember, essentially a new class of aircraft.

Although there have been more recent crashes, it’s safety record is now approaching that of conventional helicopters as hours build. Certainly, the USAF CV-22 operators I’ve spoken to are confident in its ability to get them home.

I can certainly however verify the odd sensation of sitting in the back of a USMC MV-22 and accelerating from a slow rolling taking off to 200 kts of forward flight!

Regards,
MM

I was doing a tailwheel conversion course at Arlington Municipal Airport, near Fort Worth, Texas and Bell has a factory there, where "green" airframes were completed. I was on the approach to land when my instructor pointed at a canvas covered pile outside one of the Bell hangars. "that's one of the prototypes of the V22". It had rolled over when hover taxying. Even so, they were very impressive to see, accelerating away in normal winged flight.