Three Cheers for Sir Michael Rose

At last, if a little late, an honest General!!

General Sir Michael today calls for T Bliar to be impeached over his 'illegal' sending of the Armed Forces to war in Iraq.

Sir Michael also expressed surprise and dismay that senior officers didn't resign rather than carry out his illegal orders.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sorry, were you asking for integrity, moral courage and a decent set of values from senior officers???? You mean the people who want sell us up the river the moment they become Generals in Whitehall (or is the new rank called New Labour/Neue Arbeit politician?).

Surely not, go to your room and think about what you just said....stupid boy!

Queensman, where did you see Gen'l Mikes story?

Yes, interesting interview on Today programme this morning.

Apparently this originated in the Mail on Sunday, preparatory to a Ch 4 programme this Friday.

http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1006396

Whether one agrees with him or not, Gen Sir Michael has been consistent in voicing concerns over the readiness to go to war from Kosovo onwards.

MadJack said:
Queensman, where did you see Gen'l Mikes story?
He was interviewed on the Today programme, Radio 4, just before the 0800hrs news bulletin, the news then carried the story.

It was very refreshing to hear such candid criticisim on this morning's 'Today' programme. I am afraid as a genral rule resignation is very rarely seen as the honorable thing to do any more. A shame since I am quite sure that any General that had resigned would have found a decent job elsewhere.

All currently serving generals seem far too interested in politics and very rarely have the moral courage to speak out.

A National Defence Association candidate surely?

Has anyone heard/seen a response from our Glorious Leader or one of his lickspittles?

What's it to be:

1. Deny everything.
2. Rubbish the good name of Sir Michael and spin against him.
3. Say nothing, and hope it'll go away or stay hidden by the pillow, sorry, Back biting going on in the Liberal party.

Queensman said:
Has anyone heard/seen a response from our Glorious Leader or one of his lickspittles?

What's it to be:

1. Deny everything.
2. Rubbish the good name of Sir Michael and spin against him.
3. Say nothing, and hope it'll go away or stay hidden by the pillow, sorry, Back biting going on in the Liberal party.
A combination of all three but in a different order
1. Say nothing, and hope it'll go away or stay hidden by the pillow, sorry, Back biting going on in the Liberal party
2. Deny everything.
3. Rubbish the good name of Sir Michael and spin against him.

No 1 perhaps accompanied by some big manafactured announcement to bump it out of the headlines.

Teflon Tony will survive. Cnut.

General Rose is not the only retried senior officer to have grave reservations about the conduct of this dreadful war. On the 1 May 05 the, then, CDS - Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, questioned the legality of the conflict and admitted that he had never seen the Attorney Generals advice. He was concerned about possible ICC judgements and he rather candidly notes that 'If my soldiers went to jail and I did, some other people would go with me... [Observer: the PM and the Attorney General ?]... bloody right !"

General Rose' comments are far from unique amongst the serving officer corps too. Over the last year I have noticed a discernible hardening of attitudes over the way that our lives were put at risk on the basis of what was obviously at the time 'dodgy' information but which was spun to ensure that our US allies did not do it alone - thus accommodating a neo-con movement in the US administration that has been advancing ideas such as this for years.

The trouble with Senior Officers is they became senior by developing acute political antenna, not by stating their minds, and once on the greasy pole they don’t want to get off. CNS, Admiral West, leaves the service soon and I will be interested to see if he makes any observations about the war. He has in the past been indiscreet with some of his comments to the media and has upset the Politicians. It would be nice for a recent Senior Officer to speak out - that way their comments cannot be 'rubbished' by No10 by saying that he is long retired - as they did with General Rose.

There is much more to this story and I hope for the sake of our people who have died and of their families that it comes out at a proper enquiry. Good luck to Reg Keys and the other families who are pushing for this. I know that there are many in uniform who feel the same but who are unable to publicly say so. The PMs recent photo call in Iraq was sickening. If he is that interested in the Forces he would do well to stop stupid PR stunts and instead focus on being honest with us and sorting out the kit that still bedevils us all.

Well done to ARRSE for giving people a voice.

Soory to sound cynical and pee on your collective fireworks, but isn't he retired?
and some time ago as well?

Once again, the shimpfing only starts when the pension/directorship/book deal is safe.

Postie said:
It was very refreshing to hear such candid criticisim on this morning's 'Today' programme. I am afraid as a genral rule resignation is very rarely seen as the honorable thing to do any more. A shame since I am quite sure that any General that had resigned would have found a decent job elsewhere.

All currently serving generals seem far too interested in politics and very rarely have the moral courage to speak out.
I heard the interview as well but I wonder is his criticism of the generals valid?

I can't remember who was CDS at the time of the war but didn't he get a note from the attorney general confirming it was a legal war? If so, what more can the CDS do? He's not a legal expert and can't make his own judgement on the legality of the war.

Tricam.