Three Brigadiers in three months - sacked or suspended…

Proff3RTR

War Hero
What happens to these blokes now then?

Are there 3 brigadiers just cutting about somewhere and still drawing a wage?
In short, yes, they will surface again somewhere.

He harangued my syndicate for 40 minutes about staff work and left us with a closely typed memorandum regarding vehicle husbandry that he'd written as a CO and another when he was a Bde Comd.

I still have them somewhere - they were quite good actually!
Any chance you could post them here?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

CC_TA

LE
I've never seen the need to shout in an office environment (I would assume they were in such, as a chair was thrown).

Spirit =/= unnecessary swearing or throwing office furniture(the only 'necessary' swearing, I would opine, would be if providing aggressive/immediate direction in contact/exercise. Even then, it would be debateable).

If I haven't told at least five people to fu{k off, called 10 people cu^ts and thrown several hammers around in a day then I'm probably on leave. I do enjoy when I get several woooperts a week popping into the workshop for a brew, some top level sweary-rants and some constructive deconstruction.

We aren't a huggy happy-clapper community. If people haven't got the onions to put up with some fruity language or respond in turn with a quality 5 star kunty comebacks then maybe this ain't the right job for them.

If I haven't told at least five people to fu{k off, called 10 people cu^ts and thrown several hammers around in a day then I'm probably on leave. I do enjoy when I get several woooperts a week popping into the workshop for a brew, some top level sweary-rants and some constructive deconstruction.

We aren't a huggy happy-clapper community. If people haven't got the onions to put up with some fruity language or respond in turn with a quality 5 star kunty comebacks then maybe this ain't the right job for them.
"So, what part of the prison system in north Korea do you work? :salut:

More than likely more sinned against than sinner.
You may well be right
I suspect his intentions were good but his manner of operating wasn't

We had a family friend who was a Beefeater, he did make mention of the 'Spanish Practices' which were carried out by only a small number of the Beefeaters and who were resented by quite a few of the others. Some of the extreme scams as reported very likely never happened, but those that did were enough to cause unease. It is to the General's credit that he tried to address the problem.

His downfall was maybe that he forgot that he was a civvie in charge of other civvies who were basically tour guides' that were living in 'a close-knit community with its fair share of petty jealousies and rumour'**

Civvie street is a different country, they do things differently there', as someone might have paraphrased, and, acting the way he did, to put it kindly, by 'letting off steam', wasn't going to work in the same way it might have done in Army life. There is a maxim that 'people who have the power to get the last laugh, usually make use that facility'.
It seems that, from the outcome of the tribunal that there was a sustainable case against him for instant dismissal and so he went; those who could have stopped his going, opted not to do so.

** evidence given at the industrial tribunal on behalf of Historic Royal Palaces by Gen Cima's deputy and successor. From what our friend told us, petty is probably an understatement,

If a 1* cannot control their temper, and instead has a hissy fit and throws chairs around an office, maybe that ain't the right job for them either.

CC_TA

LE
If a 1* cannot control their temper, and instead has a hissy fit and throws chairs around an office, maybe that ain't the right job for them either.
I'd rather some grown up threw a chair/radio/barrage of inappropriate insults at me instead of bottling it all up and taking it home with them or worse still taking it to the dark place.

Plus it would it would give me a chance to throw back some better insults followed by a brew/fag/Snickers at the mardy twat.

I just remembered it as a pithy phrase . . . I did not realise that it was actually recognised as “a Principle" . . .

"The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another".

Exactly.

This is the guy that has think rationally and project an air of calm confidence after 72 hours without sleep. He might have to do this at a point when one battle group is surrounded, another is barely managing a fighting withdrawal, the enemy is smashing everything that moves with air, arty and nerve gas, there are heliborne troops landing in the rear, comms are patchy, and the resupplies aren't coming forwards.

That would have been a likely scenario if BAOR had gone to war. The future could be even more challenging.

chimera

LE
You may well be right
I suspect his intentions were good but his manner of operating wasn't

We had a family friend who was a Beefeater, he did make mention of the 'Spanish Practices' which were carried out by only a small number of the Beefeaters and who were resented by quite a few of the others. Some of the extreme scams as reported very likely never happened, but those that did were enough to cause unease. It is to the General's credit that he tried to address the problem.

His downfall was maybe that he forgot that he was a civvie in charge of other civvies who were basically tour guides' that were living in 'a close-knit community with its fair share of petty jealousies and rumour'**

Civvie street is a different country, they do things differently there', as someone might have paraphrased, and, acting the way he did, to put it kindly, by 'letting off steam', wasn't going to work in the same way it might have done in Army life. There is a maxim that 'people who have the power to get the last laugh, usually make use that facility'.
It seems that, from the outcome of the tribunal that there was a sustainable case against him for instant dismissal and so he went; those who could have stopped his going, opted not to do so.

** evidence given at the industrial tribunal on behalf of Historic Royal Palaces by Gen Cima's deputy and successor. From what our friend told us, petty is probably an understatement,
See my red highlight. In other words:those who could have (and should have) supported what he was trying to do, but either didn't have the moral courage to do so, or had their own private agendas to follow (i.e. don't rock the Royal boat,or maybe they had theor own little scams going on). I agree that this was "civvie street", but then again it wasn't: Yeoman Warders are ex military. This was, to all intents and purposes, a military system, in which a protected clique were taking the piss.

Worth remembering I’m talking about ancient history - Op HAVEN was the N Iraq cleanup and Kurdish relief op that the booties, smarting from not having been involved in the last war we actually won, bullied their way into. Frankly, they were rubbish as an HQ and that was purely down to the toxic commanders. They were only there because MOD took pity on them after GW1 and they pursued a humanitarian aid mission with a desire to ‘flush out’ Iraqis (who’d already surrendered). The ‘WE’VE HAD A CONTACT!’ moment in the Bde HQ was an interesting example of how the NS/MS/AS moment can never just be an accusation levelled at the Army.

Amazingly, I enjoyed Op HAVEN, it’s not often you get sent to break a strike with a briefcase full of $Ks….

Well doesn’t that make me feel f*cking old :) :)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Exactly.

This is the guy that has think rationally and project an air of calm confidence after 72 hours without sleep. He might have to do this at a point when one battle group is surrounded, another is barely managing a fighting withdrawal, the enemy is smashing everything that moves with air, arty and nerve gas, there are heliborne troops landing in the rear, comms are patchy, and the resupplies aren't coming forwards.

That would have been a likely scenario if BAOR had gone to war. The future could be even more challenging.
Hey, don’t fret, some people on here think that it’s preferable to meet that challenge by going into melt down, losing control and confirming to all concerned that the bloke in charge is a dick.

Comd 7X seems to have behaved in Place A (minor problem on exercise) as if he was in Place B (about to be overrun by 3SA). I’m sure his OJARs said he was a bloody good egg though, so that’s OK.

Don't the inadequate, insecure lifers just hate that. as evidenced by the postings of some of our more average ex-half colonels and majors on here. However some of few intelligent ones who haven't jumped ship by then know how to benefit from the diversity it brings, but that does take some flexibility in mindset. There is an ex-Gds/them 3* who was an exemplar of this on ops.

Not only ancient but inadequate and insecure now, can’t a bloke catch a break, fick mein alt stiefel ^~

In my defence I have to work on the glorious computer system that is JAMES
I take it back. Not murdering anyone during the working day is a testament to the character of anyone using JAMES all day.

when you sack an RSM,where do they go? is there some kind of system to absorb the involuntarily posted?
They go to Glasgow to administer all the WO1 pensions that have been awarded to 22-year Pte Soldiers.

Last edited:
Not only ancient but inadequate and insecure now, can’t a bloke catch a break, fick mein alt stiefel ^~
If it helps, you’re not as ancient as me, so leave your boots alone! :grin:

At least 1 of the officers in question has a nice little number in the same rank in NW London, but obviously that can’t be right because the Daily Mail says different ^~

Latest Threads