Three Brigadiers in three months - sacked or suspended…

Oh come on. Of those in the services I would wager less than 5% have killed someone, and about 80% have never given it any really serious thought. As for the chance of being killed themselves, even fewer. The notion that the services is staffed by steely eyed killers is utter bunkum.
I said "being prepared" !!

If it has not been thought about, on the ranges, during NBC training, in first-aid lessons . . . someone has not been paying attention, and must be seriously deficient in personal awareness . . . and of questionable committment !!

Some of the services . . . SOME . . . are undoubtedly "steely eyed killers". No-one suggested ALL servicemen were.

You seem determined to ignore the suggestion, that servicemen and their officers/VSO, are "different" to the normal civilian . . . that they are not "normal" . . . and will probably display different (or exaggerated) personal traits, to those of ordinary folk.

It was well known at the time, and shows what happens when you try to rock the boat around the "men in the suits" that lurk around the Royal Household. I knew a couple of people directly involved in the saga, and it is pretty much accepted that Cima was stitched up like a kipper.

PS - my name is not Cima!
I have known him for approaching 40 years and was privileged to twice serve under his command.

He wasn’t stitched by the suits, he was stitched by the Constable. At the heart of it was the Constable’s desire to live in The Queens House, which was traditionally the Governor’s residence.

A 4* bully. Who’d have guessed?

He was the ultimate unconventional soldier, so rather bizarre he made it to the top of a conventional army. Granted he was part of a Green Mafia gang who seemed to dominate the army at the time.
An RAOC S/SGT Staff clerk told me in the early eighties though that Kitson would never make it right to the top as he was too political. I think he meant due to the books he wrote on counter insurgency - Bunch of Fives. If you remember there had been a lot of talk of a military coup in the press during the mid seventies during the reign of Harold Wilson. Mountbatten and General Walter Walker of Borneo Confrontation fame. Frank had been quite controversial during his time in Belfast and is still on an IRA death list I think. He was held in some suspicion by elements of the political class.

Worth remembering I’m talking about ancient history - Op HAVEN was the N Iraq cleanup and Kurdish relief op that the booties, smarting from not having been involved in the last war we actually won, bullied their way into. Frankly, they were rubbish as an HQ and that was purely down to the toxic commanders. They were only there because MOD took pity on them after GW1 and they pursued a humanitarian aid mission with a desire to ‘flush out’ Iraqis (who’d already surrendered). The ‘WE’VE HAD A CONTACT!’ moment in the Bde HQ was an interesting example of how the NS/MS/AS moment can never just be an accusation levelled at the Army.

Amazingly, I enjoyed Op HAVEN, it’s not often you get sent to break a strike with a briefcase full of $Ks….
Wasn't aN RM Brigadier, 3 Cdo Brigade RM sacked in Afghanistan in 2002 during 45 Cdo RM's tour? It never quite came out in the press why he was removed but he looked like a decent bloke.

Wasn't aN RM Brigadier, 3 Cdo Brigade RM sacked in Afghanistan in 2002 during 45 Cdo RM's tour? It never quite came out in the press why he was removed but he looked like a decent bloke.

Roger Lane.

'The Ministry of Defence today announced a replacement for the Royal Marines commander in Afghanistan - just one day after the defence secretary, Geoff Hoon, pledged his "complete support" to man currently in the post, Brigadier Roger Lane.

'Brigadier Jim Dutton will take over command of the 1,000 royal marines in 3 Commando Brigade when Brig Lane returns from his mission to hunt down remaining al Qaida and Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

'The replacement of Brig Lane - who will be reassigned to unspecified staff duties - comes amid claims that he has mishandled operations, lost the confidence of his men and infuriated British and US officials.'

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
So much revealed in only three sentences, that indicate you do not know how a lot of "Reservists" (TA), regard their commitment and responsibilities.
If any of the rumours are true, you're going to love universal TACOS, no changes to RFA96(I.e. no wider employment protection, nor compulsion to release for activity, etc), and greater UK Ops liability then

QRK2

LE
; as long as you're enjoying it, you can overlook, forgive, and chortle at what passes for regular professionalism

Don't the inadequate, insecure lifers just hate that. as evidenced by the postings of some of our more average ex-half colonels and majors on here. However some of few intelligent ones who haven't jumped ship by then know how to benefit from the diversity it brings, but that does take some flexibility in mindset. There is an ex-Gds/them 3* who was an exemplar of this on ops.

Last edited:

Alamo

LE
You seem determined to ignore the suggestion, that servicemen and their officers/VSO, are "different" to the normal civilian . . . that they are not "normal" . . . and will probably display different (or exaggerated) personal traits, to those of ordinary folk.
Funnily enough, prior to my retirement I would have agreed that they were. Since I’ve been released back into the wild I’ve come to realise more and more that they’re not too different at all really.

All walks of life have twats, the military one allows some of them to hide behind a rank system. And that’s just not (senior) officers, but also junior ranks who frequently behave like utter twats knowing that their chain of command will pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
This would be a good start for many senior officers:

Funnily enough, prior to my retirement I would have agreed that they were. Since I’ve been released back into the wild I’ve come to realise more and more that they’re not too different at all really.

All walks of life have twats, the military one allows some of them to hide behind a rank system. And that’s just not (senior) officers, but also junior ranks who frequently behave like utter twats knowing that their chain of command will pick up the pieces.

I concluded that the RAN was a sheltered workshop for many of our long term inhabitants. There was no way some of them could dress or feed themselves without direction and supervision.

QRK2

LE
I concluded that the RAN was a sheltered workshop for many of our long term inhabitants. There was no way some of them could dress or feed themselves without direction and supervision.

A friend of my wife's was married to an chap who got out at Maj (despite having pinked) and became a housemaster and subsequently headmaster at boarding schools. Shortly after he retired said wives met and Mrs ex head recounted his reaction to being told that something had broken in the house they had just brought.

"Give maintenance a call"

"Darling, you are maintenance now"

Wee Hawken

War Hero
That may be true, but I don’t think it is. I’ve seen many more reservists’ careers ended by regulars, some rightly, some undoubtedly wrongly.
Indeed - but it's more about the impact. I have been able to speak more, er, freely than some of my regular counterparts, as it matters little to me if I get a sh1tty OJAR or worse.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I think @Bubbles_Barker’s question was about Langley Sharp, author of the leadership book. If so, he is serving in The Parachute Regiment.

Keith Cima was a Sapper.
Nah, it was just a reference to chippy Gunners, could just as easily have been Signals!

Latest Threads