Threats to the UK in 2020

What threats to the UK are possibles for 2020?

There is always the chance of an Islamist inspired outrage resulting in death and injury to the public. XRW terrorism would seem to be focussed in individual outrages, not "spectaculars". It seems as if Republican terrorists are getting more active (@LEGZ30 would you be able to comment?)

We do seem to be letting foreign powers ( possibly potentially hostile) take control of parts of our CNI, or place their kit and equipment in same - Huawei and 5G, for example. Plus the recently agreed sale of Chobham, albeit to a US VC firm. Best friends maybe, but why has HMG not revealed the restricted covenants required for approval of the sale? Because they are weak and don't restrict access to foreign powers post sale?

Is HMG sufficiently aware of the long term threat this could represent, or is the free market King?

I fully expect an Islamist outrage. But what other threats?

What threats to the UK are possibles for 2020?

There is always the chance of an Islamist inspired outrage resulting in death and injury to the public. XRW terrorism would seem to be focussed in individual outrages, not "spectaculars". It seems as if Republican terrorists are getting more active (@LEGZ30 would you be able to comment?)

We do seem to be letting foreign powers ( possibly potentially hostile) take control of parts of our CNI, or place their kit and equipment in same - Huawei and 5G, for example. Plus the recently agreed sale of Chobham, albeit to a US VC firm. Best friends maybe, but why has HMG not revealed the restricted covenants required for approval of the sale? Because they are weak and don't restrict access to foreign powers post sale?

Is HMG sufficiently aware of the long term threat this could represent, or is the free market King?

I fully expect an Islamist outrage. But what other threats?
According to the publically released figures 25% of Prevent referrals are now related to XRW threats, which is a significant increase. Whether that equates to likelihood of anything happening or not is debatable but whatever risk there previously was has risen recently.

Yokel

LE
Tensions in the Arabian/Persian Gulf will continue to pose a risk of conflict spreading as well as a direct threat to oil shipping.

Tensions between NATO and Russia under the Putin regime will continue and the post Cold War peace will continue to break down into a violent one.

International and domestic terrorism will continue to be a constant problem.

D

Deleted 24582

According to the publically released figures 25% of Prevent referrals are now related to XRW threats, which is a significant increase. Whether that equates to likelihood of anything happening or not is debatable but whatever risk there previously was has risen recently.
Shouldn’t you also include the XLW in that potential threat category. You had a major political party lose an election, and many are going to be feeling desperate.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Probable - 1) irish republicans stepping up a gear as Brexit gets closer to completion. 2) SNP stiring it up. Having lived in Jockland during the last referendum I saw how bitter and nasty it got at times so if Boris just ignores the SNP cries for indyref2 then I can see some people taking it to extremes

Potential - public disorder if elements of the remain community try to stop brexit via parliamentary schenanigans or the legal system

Possible - big cutbacks in environmental health etc budgets during the autserity cuts will come home to roost so odds on for a public health scare - foot & mouth / bird flu / e-coli outbreak

4(T)

LE
Possibly a heavy bias in those figures based on malicious reporting, though, as "XRW" is commonly used by the XLW to describe anyone who does not share their viewpoint.

Internally - I am more concerned with the Climate Change extinction lot.
Externally - A new IS is a knocking bet, that is already showing a few roots popping up.
Gamble - I expect venezuela to seriously flair up and possibly much of south america.

Shouldn’t you also include the XLW in that potential threat category. You had a major political party lose an election, and many are going to be feeling desperate.
No, despite what some would have you believe, there is no recent history of "XLW" terrorism in the UK and they mostly protest by the medium of painting themselves, eating lentils and dancing...

Possibly a heavy bias in those figures based on malicious reporting, though, as "XRW" is commonly used by the XLW to describe anyone who does not share their viewpoint.
Not really; maybe one for another thread?

With the counter that "XLW" is a near fictional grouping used by the Right to describe people who aren't total Fascists?

You get the picture.

D

Deleted 24582

Not really; maybe one for another thread?

With the counter that "XLW" is a near fictional grouping used by the Right to describe people who aren't total Fascists?

You get the picture.
The UKIP would be viewed in some circles as a lefty party.

You do have ANTIFA in the UK correct?

The UKIP would be viewed in some circles as a lefty party.

You do have ANTIFA in the UK correct?
Not really, and not really.

UKIP tend to attract the right wing types.

No, despite what some would have you believe, there is no recent history of "XLW" terrorism in the UK and they mostly protest by the medium of painting themselves, eating lentils and dancing...
The IRA was XLW terrorism

Going by the behaviour of the Corbyn fan club over the last week or so I'd say Momentum, frustrated remainers and other extreme lefty types will present a threat to certain parts of the UK in the form of anti-Boris/Tory protests that get out of hand. Other than that the same old threats have never gone away.

Please keep the Brexit / Corbyn / Momentum /Remainer digs in one of the billion or so Brexit threads.

D

Deleted 24582

Not really, and not really.

UKIP tend to attract the right wing types.
Different political beliefs across different Spectrums BB.

Remember I am tainted and see UKIP as something akin to RINO’s.

Should we add your environmentalist types who shut down airports on the list?

Ecoterrorism ?
Perhaps a splinter group from the extinction rebellion circles may decide more direct action should be taken against fossil fuel burning facilities ?

Apologies if there’s any confusion, was using XRW purely as shorthand for right wing, it’s my language (and I’m not XLW either!).

SNP stiring it up. Having lived in Jockland during the last referendum I saw how bitter and nasty it got at times so if Boris just ignores the SNP cries for indyref2 then I can see some people taking it to extremes
I don't think we need to worry there, after all in 1746 we did ok ! They weren't all forked up on Bucky's and Meth then either :winkrazz:

Ecoterrorism ?
Perhaps a splinter group from the extinction rebellion circles may decide more direct action should be taken against fossil fuel burning facilities ?
Would love to know how they would equate releasing all the gases in an explosion with their green footprint...

Latest Threads