Threat of poor end of year appraisal

#1
Having just received a memo from the OC about the current predicament we face...all the usual stuff, stick together, pull through as a team, come out of it stronger, etc, etc, etc.....he ended it with a veiled threat of receiving a poor end of year report if an individuals attendance dropped of over the coming months.

So is he right or is he wrong? Should someone receive a poor end of year for not turning up when they don't get paid or is attendance regardless of pay everything?
 
#2
Well.... Ask him if thats the best method of motivation that Sandhurst and Staff College(?) provided him with. It's either that or he has a number of problem children. (and is still a poor leader).
 
#3
If he has to make veiled threats to maintain attendance, he needs to have a long look in the mirror and ask himself a few questions. ( Not seven, either. )
 
#4
Bravo_Bravo said:
( Not seven, either. )
:)

I'm afraid that "shape up or ship out" is the only form of motivation many in the CoC have in their toolbox. How many new COs have you heard say on appointment "I want all the deadwood cleared out" only to then complain about lack of numbers? Get enough of them appointed in a row and you can soon reduce a Bn to Pl. :(
 
#6
Without approving of your CoC's motivational technique, you are actually required to include (SJAR at least, couldn't find it in the OJAR section) a statement about attendance for TA soldiers. 2D.15.06 if you want to look.

Doesn't mean you get a bad report, just one that says you are a bad attender (or a bounty scrounger or you must clearly hate your wife :) )
 
#9
Just ask yourself which job pays the mortgage and worry accordingly. Also, sometimes it's easy to misread tone in written comms and he may not have meant it as you read it - or maybe he really is a tool. Either way expecting soldiers to turn up unpaid as though nothing has happened is taking the p!ss. Particularly if you lose money by turning down overtime or if your travel is pricy.
 
#10
I guess that civvy policy also applies to the TA?:

No one should get a poor annual appraisal.

There should be nothing negative in an annual appraisal.

Any problems with the employee's work, behaviour, attendance, etc. should be managed (and a solution found) at the time ...... and have been addressed prior to the annual appraisal.
 
#11
Fallschirmjager said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
he needs to have a long look in the mirror and ask himself a few questions. ( Not seven, either. )
Why does he need a mirror to ask himself questions?
So he can pretend he has a friend. I often do this; but dressed in womens clothing so I can imagine I'm talking to a live female, without having to pay.
 

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#12
Bravo_Bravo said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
he needs to have a long look in the mirror and ask himself a few questions. ( Not seven, either. )
Why does he need a mirror to ask himself questions?
So he can pretend he has a friend. I often do this; but dressed in womens clothing so I can imagine I'm talking to a live female, without having to pay.
Many a true word said in jest . .. ..
 
#13
Says the man whose proudest boast on Facebook is that he ate an entire jar of sweets in less than a week...

Enjoy your surprise CFT tonight!
 

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#14
Hit a nerve ?
 
#16
to paraphrase one of the bde comd's - no one at any rank is to be coerced into turning up under "it is your duty", to do that is morally wrong.
 
#17
It could be that the CO meant anyone who had areas for development on their MPAR would need to attend to show how they were reaching their objectives. If they don't do so an S/OJAR with deficiencies pointed out is entirely reasonable...
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#18
bovvy said:
I guess that civvy policy also applies to the TA?:

No one should get a poor annual appraisal.

There should be nothing negative in an annual appraisal.

Any problems with the employee's work, behaviour, attendance, etc. should be managed (and a solution found) at the time ...... and have been addressed prior to the annual appraisal.
Obviously your location block is correct.

An appraisal should most certainly contain something negative, if the performance warrants it.

Failed to parade a number of times because too pished to get out of bed (for example) warrants a mention because it points to the reliability and judgement of the person being reported on, no matter if it has been remedied since.

For the OP, if the soldiers has failed to attend for training for which was scheduled and paid, then it can be reported on. failed to attend for a freebie? Not a chance.
 
#19
bovvy said:
I guess that civvy policy also applies to the TA?:

No one should get a poor annual appraisal.

.
I dunno who you work for but any civvy company I've been with has been pretty savage with poor performance - to the point where some folk did not make it to their next AR....

(Mine were, of course, all glowing.... :D )
 
#20
One_of_the_strange said:
Just ask yourself which job pays the mortgage and worry accordingly. Also, sometimes it's easy to misread tone in written comms and he may not have meant it as you read it - or maybe he really is a tool. Either way expecting soldiers to turn up unpaid as though nothing has happened is taking the p!ss. Particularly if you lose money by turning down overtime or if your travel is pricy.
My sentiments exactly, though I've been around long enough to know better, just hope the youngsters don't concern themselves too much with it.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads