Threads

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BedIn, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just watched "Threads" (on DVD) for the first time in about 25 years.

It's still every bit as grim.

They were the days when we really had something to worry about.

2. I watched it following a thread here about the Cold War. Grim? Understatement. At least it isn't just the Ruskies with The Bomb now.

3. I first watched it when I was 13. It gave me nightmares.

4. I got a hard on when the fat bird negotiated some 'affection' for a few rats to eat. She didn't look like she was exactly starving, the whore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm impressed.

It takes a disciplined man to rub one out to Threads.

Couldn't they have stuck a few gags in? You know, a fart gag or a few pratfalls.

But oh, no. It's all rotting corpses, cataracts and deformed babies.

6. And squaddies looting prawn cocktail crisps. "I fookin' 'ate prawn cocktail."

The scariest thing about it was the thought of giving traffic wardens SLRs.

7. What was good to see was the subbie wearing a Mk 2 NBC suit and a Service Dress forage cap. The world may be ending, but there are standards to maintain.

Broadly speaking, though, dire.

It did remind me of the nagging threat of nuclear holocaust during my youth and early teens. No wonder people listened to Culture Club and watched Magnum and The Dukes of Hazard.

• Like Like x 2
  8. A quality film, I like the fact it has no hopefull cheery message to tell, give it to Holywood and they think that post appocolypse we'll be driving round in beach buggies and dressing like we're at Glastonbury. Nope not a bit of it, as a side, does anyone else get wood when the woman pisses herself?

9. Brilliant film, factlet, there was nearly an hour of footage cut from it.

Would love to see a "director's cut".

10. Theres a good description of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

B
    ut I have to say that the description of post nuclear attack Sheffield is very reminiscent (apart from the radiation levels which may have been higher then) of the Sheffield I left behind in 1968 when I joined 't army.

11. I can remember watching it when first broadcast, and afterwards leafing through the Civil Defence handbook, Protect and Survive, which advised protecting yourself from a multi-megaton thermonuclear device by painting your windows white and hiding under the table. I think that was actually scarier than the film; it was clear that the civilian population was not only unprotected but entirely surplus to requirements.

12. As was the army (and crabs) in BAOR, or rather, we were just cannon fodder.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Farmers had a different booklet than Protect and Survive (as I seem to remember) it was clear they were of more (obvious)interest and I always wonder they would've become armed encamptments akin to iron age hill forts.
    Indeed NORMAL civilians would've just been a pain in the arse that were expected to quietly die off (probably digging their own mass grave for a few tins of corned beef first).

14. Whilst on the subject, does anyone remember this and its like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMdnod8VPI

Look at the others as well. The most chilling thing is the jingle at the end.

On the nuke fodder subject, I remember the personnel dosimeters couldn't be read by the individual. You had to hand it in for reading, when presumably they would then give you a fixed smile, say "that all looks fine", put you back on stag and then cross you off the ration role.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was only 16 at the time so most of my thoughts were about my home, friends and family. The plan was that if we got enough time we would drive to Plymouth, and be assured of a relatively painless death in the first few seconds.

I do manage a wry chuckle when I hear youngsters going on about the possibility of being blown to bits by Achmed Jihad and his Incredible Exploding Underpants though.