Threads, Survivors, Cold War turns hot what-if drama's

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Corpraider, Aug 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Threads, Survivors, Cold War turns hot what-if drama documentaries

Bearing in mind all the relevations concerning British Civil defence measures during the
    Cold War. Have their been any interesting new books, TV drama-documentaries or
    'Cold War turns hot' drama's ( in the pipeline ) about World War III breaking
    out during the Cold War, with the UK being threatened by Soviet ICBM missile

As it would be interesting to see a drama-documentary of the Royal Observer Corps
    in action during the Cold War. Reporting nuclear detonation's from their lonely
    3 man bunkers, back to ROC Sector HQ and of course the Regional Seats
    of Government, swinging into action from the various Council office bunkers, as
    the British government and cabinet, retire to Turnstile ( Corsham Bunker )
    as the first of many Cold War ( COBRA ) meetings convenes underground.

Then ( of course ) you have the Patrick Allen, Protect & Survive broadcasts on
    the BBC, as the Beeb retires to their Cold War nuclear bunker at Wood Norton
    in Worcestershire, to initiate the Wartime Broadcasting Service.

Would be great to see a 'what if' drama-documentary ( using recently realesed
    archive material ) about a Cold War turned hot - filming in both US, British,
    West German and various East German and Soviet Bunkers as World War III
    How long can NATO survive the Soviet onslaught ? how quickly will the
    NATO Reforger missions, reinforce beleagured NATO forces in Western Europe
    and how long will the Royal Observer Corps remain operational ?
  2. During one particular meeting of the Royal Observer Corps it was pointed out by one attendees that most of them wouldn't turn up, because they would be too busy looking after their families. It was basically a shit idea.

The 'what if' scenario would be loads of civvies taking a phone call, then saying 'bugger that ol' boy, I'm off to Scarborough.'.
  3. Most of the ROC I met were billy no mates so the idea of having a captive audience of at least two other people was their Idea of heaven.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I believe ther was an Australian documentary about this, Mad Max I think it was called.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

what if ? suppose they came at the weekend when we were all pissed and the pads were all out shopping . Cor don't bear thinking about .
  6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

tru bruv, I should have said in Holland or Denmark and pissed .
  7. That was a documentary? I thought it was a fly on the wall cop show, it almost had me transferring down under.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
  8. Ted Allbeury wrote a novel, All our Tomorrows that is about the Russian "invasion" of the UK (more an invitation to take over as the UK government fails to control civil unrest)
  9. It was about as accurate as any other Mel Gibson movie: Braveheart, the Patriot etc. except since the Brits were all wiped out in the nuclear exchange, he wasn't able to blame them for anything....
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Can we lock this thread before it gets invaded by the Never Did Much medal campaign come down with mass PTSD?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I just spent the last 45-odd minutes watching The War Game. Rather gripping, gritty stuff and very pro CND - so one can understand why the Government forbade its broadcast. 'Threads' may have been better made, but War games, shot in monochrome, is rather good. Especially with troops with SLRs and Police with No 1 Mk III and No 4 Mk1 Lee enfields. And loads of Enfield pistos. I wonder where these are stored now?
  12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There was a British documentary in the early 1980's by the current affairs programme QED called 'A Guide To Armageddon'. It hypothesized what the effects of a single nuclear bomb going off above London would have as well as the aftermaths. I was just a kid at the time and it scared the living crap out of me.

Edited to add: What do you know, it's now on YouTube!
  13. Remeber the royal observour corps attempting to poach stabs seemed even more pointless and a lot less fun.
    Sitting in a bunker for the weekend pretending to count rems.
    About 3 good size nukes could toyally **** the uk and te russians would e lobbing about a thousand at us:(