Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Threads not being bookmarked after commenting

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I've noticed a change in the last few months which is really irritating.

ARRSE used to have a system that worked like this:

Say I'm reading page 220 of a 500 post thread. I have been working all the way through (DARTT?) and I see a post which requires my input, or I feel obliged to put my tuppence worth in.

I then post and after posting, I can continue reading the thread and a little banner that comes up saying something like: "There are new replies, do you wish to see them?" If I click on it, it takes me to the latest posts, but if I don't, I can just carry on plodding through the thread.

Now, the system appears to be that as soon as I post, it doesn't return me to where I was reading, it sends me to the end of the thread, to show me what I've just posted.

This, I'm sure you agree, is a right ballsache to navigate your way back to where you were. Fine, if it's a three page thread, not great if it's 500.

Any ideas?

Joe_Private

On ROPS
On ROPs

Say I'm reading page 220 of a 500 post thread. I have been working all the way through (DARTT?) and I see a post which requires my input, or I feel obliged to put my tuppence worth in.

I then post and after posting, I can continue reading the thread and a little banner that comes up saying something like: "There are new replies, do you wish to see them?" If I click on it, it takes me to the latest posts, but if I don't, I can just carry on plodding through the thread.

Now, the system appears to be that as soon as I post, it doesn't return me to where I was reading, it sends me to the end of the thread, to show me what I've just posted.

This, I'm sure you agree, is a right ballsache to navigate your way back to where you were. Fine, if it's a three page thread, not great if it's 500.

Any ideas?
Do what I do. I always assume that if there are multiple posts after the one that I'm thinking of replying to, someone else is likely to have made the very same point as I wish to. I therefore annotate the post I am thinking of replying to with a 'like' or other appropriate icon, and move on, that way, I can discover whether or not the point has been adequately aired and debated in my absence. If it has, then fine, no further action necessary. If it hasn't, the 'like' acts as a bookmark.

There is also an added bonus in that, if it's a 'dislike' or 'dumb' that you've used, often by the time you get to the end of the thread, you discover that the poster is so upset that you've downrated their post with nary an explanation that they are furiously hammering at their keyboard, or clicking on "the mong buttons".

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Do what I do. I always assume that if there are multiple posts after the one that I'm thinking of replying to, someone else is likely to have made the very same point as I wish to. I therefore annotate the post I am thinking of replying to with a 'like' or other appropriate icon, and move on, that way, I can discover whether or not the point has been adequately aired and debated in my absence. If it has, then fine, no further action necessary. If it hasn't, the 'like' acts as a bookmark.

There is also an added bonus in that, if it's a 'dislike' or 'dumb' that you've used, often by the time you get to the end of the thread, you discover that the poster is so upset that you've downrated their post with nary an explanation that they are furiously hammering at their keyboard, or clicking on "the mong buttons".

True enough and I did wonder if it was the intention to make people read all the way through the thread before commenting, but where's the fun in that?

NSP

LE
If you quote someone then you can click on their username with the upward-pointing arrow in a circle next to it in the part of your post that is the quote and it takes you back to the post you replied to.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve also noted that notifications for threads commented on drop out far more regularly and quickly.

In fact, notifications seem to have been out of synch quite markedly in recent weeks.

Awol

LE

Any ideas?
The back arrow?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Any ideas?
Here's an idea, click on the page index at the top of the page. A little box will pop up, click on the highlighted number and type in the page number required and it will take you back to that page. yes, it can be a PITA, but not as much as trying to click the back arrow 220 times!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Either middle click or right click on the reply button and select "open in new tab", create your reply, post it, then you can close that browser tab and go back to the original tab and pick up where you left off. This is web browsing, obvs, but the same priciple applies to mobile browsers.