Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thread notifications

Chef

LE
I still have to look at each one to get the notification cancelled.

Bad CO

Admin
Surely that is how it is supposed to work?

Alerts only get cancelled when (a) you view the item, or (b) click on mark all read? When else do you think they should be cancelled?

Alerts only get cancelled when (a) you view the item, or (b) click on mark all read? When else do you think they should be cancelled?

I think what he means is, up until last week, once you clicked on the little bell icon once, the notification number icon would disappear. Now it stays until you have clicked on each individual notification.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think what he means is, up until last week, once you clicked on the little bell icon once, the notification number icon would disappear. Now it stays until you have clicked on each individual notification.
Precisely this.

And if you don't scroll all the way down then they stay forever.

But there have also been repeat notifications, too.

So, if someone likes something and you click on it, it goes. But if several other people like that same post, it's included again in the list of likes.

A lot has changed and it's making navigation/responding very difficult.

I don't think it's a site-side issue. I've not had any problems - after clicking the bell button the alert flag disappears when the list displays.

This is on Android and Linux, Opera and Firefox.

Don't change it, it's finally working properly.

Cold_Collation could also unwatch the threads that he clearly doesn't want to watch.

Precisely this.

And if you don't scroll all the way down then they stay forever.

But there have also been repeat notifications, too.

So, if someone likes something and you click on it, it goes. But if several other people like that same post, it's included again in the list of likes.

A lot has changed and it's making navigation/responding very difficult.
Welcome to the brand new world. I'm not taking a dig at the grown ups here, I've found the same thing happens with my email account whenever the powers that be decide to upgrade. One time I couldn't find my contact list. Before, there it was, then WTF is it? I found it eventually, but more by luck than knowhow. ABC as we used to say, I'm afraid.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't change it, it's finally working properly.

Cold_Collation could also unwatch the threads that he clearly doesn't want to watch.
No, it's not - I'm still only able to cancel notifications by clicking on every single one.

And no, it's not about me not watching threads. It's just about not having to click on every single bloody one.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
If I get multiple notifications saying I've been quoted/liked etc they all go at once once I've either marked them as read, or looked at the post. The fact that it tells me about a thread I've got on my watch list that doesn't go away until I've opened it is great. I watch a few threads. Sometimes there are many posts to catch up on. At least now I'm reminded that my other watched threads are waiting for my attention suits me fine, as otherwise I'd forget (yes, I have memory problems...)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If I get multiple notifications saying I've been quoted/liked etc they all go at once once I've either marked them as read, or looked at the post. The fact that it tells me about a thread I've got on my watch list that doesn't go away until I've opened it is great. I watch a few threads. Sometimes there are many posts to catch up on. At least now I'm reminded that my other watched threads are waiting for my attention suits me fine, as otherwise I'd forget (yes, I have memory problems...)
Okay, but that's not happening in Safari - not in my experience.

I preferred it when as soon as you clicked the bell icon the count reset to zero. Now I have to scroll and click an extra action.

However, it's not my train set.

Latest Threads