Thread Expiration

Cheers ladies & gents.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated (the constructive ones).

I realise this isn't the Moneysavingexpert forums and we don't just simply ask questions. I just saw the concept and wondered if it had any merit here.

Having read the feedback so far, it seems the merits of such a mechanism are far outstripped by the merits of open and ongoing discussion.

@Sixty before the usual suspects demonstrate how unbothered they are, I'm happy for this one to be locked if you are?

Sirs,

I am a big fan of 'weeding' and keeping things in order, a symptom of my OCD I don't mind admitting.

I would be in favour of completely deleting threads that have ground to a halt and warrant no further comment. There maybe exceptions to the rule such as the DIY Thread as created @MrBane that will always be a constant source of mirth, laughs and giggles on a Winter's day.

There are also those threads that some members may have started under the influence of something or other, (we know who we/they are) and really do nobody any favours, these should be deleted never to see the light of day again.

I can think of at least one example of one of mine that was a complete waste of rations and pixel space.

May I humbly suggest that members contact you or @Sixty via PM and request such threads be removed.

This would at least reduce the number that would require locking by your good selves.

TIA

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If I recall, BCO is fairly adamant that nothing gets deleted. Unlike MS or other forums, ARRSE comes in some ways closer to a historical archive than other forums.

I would also be strongly against any locking of threads other than those identified as pure oxygen thievery. We have a strong community with a common bond which many other sites don't have, and as people join the site, old threads may be of relevance to them and they may have something to contribute.

Even at that, the fact a thread from 2009 about snow is showing on latest threads shows the timeless value of the site.

Bare in mind as well that if you were to decide a thread had run its course and lock it or delete it, someone would just start another when the need arose, duplicating content almost.

I think ARRSE stands head and shoulders above the rest and the threads should be retained and accessible with the ability to add to.

ETA: See? This thread had ran it's course and is now alive and kicking. The irony. :)

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
If I recall, BCO is fairly adamant that nothing gets deleted. Unlike MS or other forums, ARRSE comes in some ways closer to a historical archive than other forums.

I would also be strongly against any locking of threads other than those identified as pure oxygen thievery. We have a strong community with a common bond which many other sites don't have, and as people join the site, old threads may be of relevance to them and they may have something to contribute.

Even at that, the fact a thread from 2009 about snow is showing on latest threads shows the timeless value of the site.

Bare in mind as well that if you were to decide a thread had run its course and lock it or delete it, someone would just start another when the need arose, duplicating content almost.

I think ARRSE stands head and shoulders above the rest and the threads should be retained and accessible with the ability to add to.

ETA: See? This thread had ran it's course and is now alive and kicking. The irony. :)
I totally agree mate.

We will keep on binning the useless/drunken threads as and when they get started obviously, but in the main we should not be hiding/binning old threads just for the sake of it.

Ooohh get you all of a sudden. Nobody hears anything from you for yonks and now you are here full of ideas.

Haven't you got some perfectly good wood that needs destroying somewhere ;-);-);-)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ooohh get you all of a sudden. Nobody hears anything from you for yonks and now you are here full of ideas.

Haven't you got some perfectly good wood that needs destroying somewhere ;-);-);-)
I've had a bit of a respite lately, so making the most of it as it won't last!

This seems as good a place as any. Any chance of a brief summary of what happened to the Awol thread? I saw some tit had emailed newspapers and then went out for the weekend. I get back in tonight and it's vanished.

Aquavite

Old-Salt
This seems as good a place as any. Any chance of a brief summary of what happened to the Awol thread? I saw some tit had emailed newspapers and then went out for the weekend. I get back in tonight and it's vanished.
Theres always some nob that's wants 15 mins of fame, fcuking chavs.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Theres always some nob that's wants 15 mins of fame, fcuking chavs.
facebook idiots, i recall that i had advised against it several times, even in closed groups, some idiot will always link something on to some other idiot and it goes viral
mmeeee mmeee look at mee
oh and leather clad twat was involved

Aquavite

Old-Salt
facebook idiots, i recall that i had advised against it several times, even in closed groups, some idiot will always link something on to some other idiot and it goes viral
mmeeee mmeee look at mee
The prick with the pitiful bling medal rack?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
mmeeee mmeee look at mee
The prick with the pitiful bling medal rack?
The thread about the sad blood biker with the tin rack> He had nothing what-so-ever at all to do with the Awol thread or having it removed folks.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
It will all become clear once we finish what we started old boy. Nothing can be made public just yet, for obvious reasons...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
It will all become clear once we finish what we started old boy. Nothing can be made public just yet, for obvious reasons...

il_794xN.3342604434_8fsi.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The new member biker, ex 9 Sqn?
not sure, I remember he had to pull his thread
some people get carried away with things, often with all the best will in the world, perhaps not knowing the full story they allow less scrupulous individuals to slide in who merely see it as a revenue stream

Aquavite

Old-Salt
not sure, I remember he had to pull his thread
some people get carried away with things, often with all the best will in the world, perhaps not knowing the full story they allow less scrupulous individuals to slide in who merely see it as a revenue stream
Yeah, fair one. I'd just like to say at this juncture; "Facebook Wnakers"

Latest Threads