Thread Expiration

Evening ladies & gents,

A rare weekend post from me.

Something I've considered in the past and been meaning to bring it up - and I was tempted to raise this with the other moderators first but I thought this was worth a wider opinion...

Any of you who may have been on forums such as MoneySavingExpert and certain car repair forums will have noticed a common theme - at the bottom there's a "no longer open for replies" thread lock.

Example:

Now this is usually in response to a question which has since had a resolution. But looking at some threads which have opened on a topical debate, I've often found that after 20 or so pages the discussion is invariably no longer on topic and is simply serving to promote an argument between two or three members.

I know the moderators usually close threads which have gone this way, but we don't close all of them and a lot of time only tend to react when a report or three are raised (as we don't have the time to read all the threads).

What's your thoughts on the idea?
The simple way to stop the tedious turds trolling is to make the Ignore function two way.

If tedious turd A can't see the posts of tedious turd B, and vice versa, neither would be able to follow each other around like a tedious turd.

I can't believe this hasn't been suggested before...

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
The ignore function is for weak willed individuals who can't just ignore what is posted.

Awol

LE
I don’t see any problem with thread drift. Arrse is much more that a resource about how to build a bed block in Basic and the more it behaves like real life, the better for us all.

The way that members will natter and allow the thread to wander miles from the original subject is no bad thing. It reflects very accurately how a real conversation would flow around a pub table and it would a real pity if that natural, enjoyable chat would be binned, just to please someone’s eagerness to keep things tidy and in little labelled virtual boxes (this last bit not referring to the OP).

Imagine a hypothetical thread is started about the French Navy losing a boat. The initial responses will be sincere with ‘best wishes to all’ etc, then, once it’s announced that all involved are safe, there will be ten pages of the obligatory píss taking of the French, then thread drift into how the French letter got its name, then contraception for a bit, then after another twenty pages of nonsense, and then reports of the boat in question being salvaged and then it will die a natural death....... until the Frogs lose another boat and the thread is resurrected.

Thread drift hurts no one, costs peanuts in bandwidth and is enjoyed by all involved. If it becomes frowned upon, then IMHO it will damage the site.

I don’t see any problem with thread drift. Arrse is much more that a resource about how to build a bed block in Basic and the more it behaves like real life, the better for us all.

The way that members will natter and allow the thread to wander miles from the original subject is no bad thing. It reflects very accurately how a real conversation would flow around a pub table and it would a real pity if that natural, enjoyable chat would be binned, just to please someone’s eagerness to keep things tidy and in little labelled virtual boxes (this last bit not referring to the OP).

Imagine a hypothetical thread is started about the French Navy losing a boat. The initial responses will be sincere with ‘best wishes to all’ etc, then, once it’s announced that all involved are safe, there will be ten pages of the obligatory píss taking of the French, then thread drift into how the French letter got its name, then contraception for a bit, then after another twenty pages of nonsense, and then reports of the boat in question being salvaged and then it will die a natural death....... until the Frogs lose another boat and the thread is resurrected.

Thread drift hurts no one, costs peanuts in bandwidth and is enjoyed by all involved. If it becomes frowned upon, then IMHO it will damage the site.
I seem to recall that many years ago, the BBC was supposed to inform, educate and entertain. We can get all of that on one thread on ARRSE.

The ignore function is for weak willed individuals who can't just ignore what is posted.

The Ignore function allows for lossless compression of threads. More people should use it.

Spouting off about who you are ignoring is weak.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Cheers ladies & gents.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated (the constructive ones).

I realise this isn't the Moneysavingexpert forums and we don't just simply ask questions. I just saw the concept and wondered if it had any merit here.

Having read the feedback so far, it seems the merits of such a mechanism are far outstripped by the merits of open and ongoing discussion.

@Sixty before the usual suspects demonstrate how unbothered they are, I'm happy for this one to be locked if you are?

wolfgang

Old-Salt
The simple way to stop the tedious turds trolling is to make the Ignore function two way.

If tedious turd A can't see the posts of tedious turd B, and vice versa, neither would be able to follow each other around like a tedious turd.

Alternatively the tedious turds could just stop trolling.
However this would require a level of self-awareness,self-control and maturity which they seem incapable of.

It's awesome when mods intervene in a cnut off and tell the protagonists to cool their jets, and are roundly applauded.

By the bellends they're moderating.

Who clearly have no self awareness that they are actually the cnuts of the piece.

wolfgang

Old-Salt
It's awesome when mods intervene in a cnut off and tell the protagonists to cool their jets, and are roundly applauded.

By the bellends they're moderating.

Who clearly have no self awareness that they are actually the cnuts of the piece.
Agreed.I may have been too subtle.

Would it not be possible to place an electronic lock on the members having a bitchfest, so that threads can stay open for intelligent replies
also if a thread has had no life for a year, why not consider either deleting it to save shelf space, or send it to a special place where it can be recovered if neccesary
Are we getting short of "shelf space" ?!

Where would be this "special place" respository; how would folk know what was in there; who/how would manage it ?

Sounds a bit complicated, elaborate. Why not just leave the thread sitting quietly in its original forum, until someone uses the search function ?

As wot @Kirkz said ;) .

Arse_Bandit

War Hero

That could work, but wouldn't you just see loads of empty threads with no comments apart from a tiny handful of crayoners?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think this thread reached its expiration date. :)

Latest Threads