Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Thread Expiration

Rishi Sunak

ADC
DirtyBAT
Evening ladies & gents,

A rare weekend post from me.

Something I've considered in the past and been meaning to bring it up - and I was tempted to raise this with the other moderators first but I thought this was worth a wider opinion...

Any of you who may have been on forums such as MoneySavingExpert and certain car repair forums will have noticed a common theme - at the bottom there's a "no longer open for replies" thread lock.

Example:

Now this is usually in response to a question which has since had a resolution. But looking at some threads which have opened on a topical debate, I've often found that after 20 or so pages the discussion is invariably no longer on topic and is simply serving to promote an argument between two or three members.

I know the moderators usually close threads which have gone this way, but we don't close all of them and a lot of time only tend to react when a report or three are raised (as we don't have the time to read all the threads).

What's your thoughts on the idea?

Evening ladies & gents,

A rare weekend post from me.

Something I've considered in the past and been meaning to bring it up - and I was tempted to raise this with the other moderators first but I thought this was worth a wider opinion...

Any of you who may have been on forums such as MoneySavingExpert and certain car repair forums will have noticed a common theme - at the bottom there's a "no longer open for replies" thread lock.

Example:

Now this is usually in response to a question which has since had a resolution. But looking at some threads which have opened on a topical debate, I've often found that after 20 or so pages the discussion is invariably no longer on topic and is simply serving to promote an argument between two or three members.

I know the moderators usually close threads which have gone this way, but we don't close all of them and a lot of time only tend to react when a report or three are raised (as we don't have the time to read all the threads).

What's your thoughts on the idea?

Personally I feel that they should stay open and let a moderator decide if they really need to be locked due to the antics of children posters

Sometimes threads are reserec...ressere... brought back from the dead which saves another thread on the same issue being created.

Or you could just restrict Bravo_Bravo and Stacker to the NAAFI/ARRSEhole.

That’ll cut moderation by 90%.

I'm not a huge fan of making things personal on here - as you'll find most of us have other members who dislike us for one reason or another.

Unfortunately, threads in the NAAFI and the Hole still attract a large number of reports.

I'm generally against it - it goes against the purpose of having forums really. If a thread is relevant enough to restart conversation, then what is wrong with that (irrespective of how much drift has taken place).

To look at it another way, why not simply delete old threads if the attitude is "it's old so it's irrelevant and no-one should be able to comment further" as a matter of course.

@Boris_Johnson Fair idea for some threads and some posters, I have started many a thread which bubbles along nicely dies off and only pops up by someone referencing it, even though it has likely reached its natural conclusion, and would benefit from being closed but then pinned for archive reference purposes.

Some threads however despite the crayoning at times by some, have to be temporarily locked and cleaned up, which while understanding what a mahhosive pain it is for the mods to do.

There are some bad actors who would reliesh having more leverage in some threads that already report threads hoping to see them "no longer open for replies" and thread lock, and in their minds to have them spirited away...

Not sure about thread expiry and locking, but I'd suggest that for CA, if a thread hasn't been active for say 30 days, it should automatically be moved from that forum to another, subject-relevant, forum.

E2A: bolded for the hard of comprehending.

Last edited: