Thread deleted...

...could whoever deleted it please provide an explanation? PM if need be.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Is there any clue as to which thread you're talking about?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
@Sixty: I'm presuming it was the one referring to an on-going paedophilia trial in Liverpool.

...could whoever deleted it please provide an explanation? PM if need be.
To provide you with an answer, a thread about an active prosecution could breach the Sub Judice rules and therefore the site owners (and posters) could be held for contempt of court. I would imagine it's safer to delete it than to run the risk of posts breaching the rules.

How dare anyone have a debate on any wrongdoings committed by our ethnic brethren. Would it have been binned if the perpetrators were white English citizens?

So people that have **** all to do with the case are not allowed to talk about it?

Not if it may influence the decision of the Jury. Members of a jury could log onto Arrse during a break in court, read the posts and be swayed by them.

it also protects the prosecution case from a defence cry of foul "how can my client possible have a fair trial with all this posted about him on the internet."

Not if it may influence the decision of the Jury. Members of a jury could log onto Arrse during a break in court, read the posts and be swayed by them.

it also protects the prosecution case from a defence cry of foul "how can my client possible have a fair trial with all this posted about him on the internet."
So the jury cant look at a newspaper or watch the news?

How dare anyone have a debate on any wrongdoings committed by our ethnic brethren. Would it have been binned if the perpetrators were white English citizens?

I just recieved a 4 point infraction for Islamophobic drivel off that thread.....
Not that I'm sure what the 4 points bit means!

I think I'm supposed to apologise or some such, I'm not quite so sure why.

I just recieved a 4 point infraction for Islamophobic drivel off that thread.....
Not that I'm sure what the 4 points bit means!

I think I'm supposed to apologise or some such, I'm not quite so sure why.
I only had a post deleted. I thought I'd been quite polite, but hey ho.

So the jury cant look at a newspaper or watch the news?
As I understand it, the press are allowed to report on what was said but not say anything that could sway the jury either way - ie 'the prosecution allege that Mr A did this on this date' or 'Mr A claims that his accuser is lying racist' - but they can't give a definite opinion on it (ie, they can't say Mr A is a filthy child rapist until he's found guilty).

My Uncle Cyclic has been banned for life , poor chap , Im his nephew down here in Aussie so G`day to you all .

Yes they can read newspapers etc however depending on how well reported the case is they may be asked before the trial whether they've read anything about it and if they have they may not be selected for that jury. They may also get a warning from the trial judge not to read anything that may influence them during the trial.

The media are bound by the same rules, however they do often sail close to them. In the interet/smart phone age it's getting much harder to regulate sub judice. For example, we could all sit in a pub and chat about a case and that would never be contempt of court (as long as we're not part of the case) as the jury would never hear our discussion. Today with on line chats, faceache etc it is much more difficult to prevent juries being influenced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
too_old_for_this The NAAFI Bar 1
S ARRSE: Site Issues 7
M Royal Signals 49