Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thread adapter

I have tried the usual suspects but to no avail, so am asking for some help.

My kayak has a moulded in m6 x 18 threaded section for camera attachment.

I own a number of action cameras, one of which is waterproof without a box and has a 1/4" tripod screw hole.

I cannot find an adapter to take one to the other anywhere! Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

I may supplement the adapter with a shock absorbing bobbin, but will see how I go on that one!

If you can wait a little while, you can get one from Hong Kong

I've also picked up a few assortments of cheap action camera accessory sets.
These can give the option for some DIY modifications, and can be supplemented by mouldable PolyMorph plastic.
(However I've not been making anything that would need to be trusted to survive kayaking etc)

Truxx

LE
I have tried the usual suspects but to no avail, so am asking for some help.

My kayak has a moulded in m6 x 18 threaded section for camera attachment.

I own a number of action cameras, one of which is waterproof without a box and has a 1/4" tripod screw hole.

I cannot find an adapter to take one to the other anywhere! Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

I may supplement the adapter with a shock absorbing bobbin, but will see how I go on that one!
I can turn you some up. They would add maybe 3/4 inch of height because there is not enough room the thread the outside of a 6mm sleeve with its inside threaded to 1/4 (what thread by the way?) But could do some little extensions witham6 make at one end and a 1/4 female at the other with either a knurled or hex outer. PM me.

ETA read the brief truxx..... We need a Male Male but will the two ends need to turn independently to mount the camera?

Do you have a mounting plate for the cameras? Can you bolt it to the kayak with an M6 bolt?

I can turn you some up. They would add maybe 3/4 inch of height because there is not enough room the thread the outside of a 6mm sleeve with its inside threaded to 1/4 (what thread by the way?) But could do some little extensions witham6 make at one end and a 1/4 female at the other with either a knurled or hex outer. PM me.
1/4 -20 unc is the standard.

Adding height is not a problem, if anything a bonus as the camera will get less splash. PM inbound shortly.

Eta read the reply properly.

Fair point on spinning - hadn't really thought that through! In essence I need the camera to end up facing forward. But I'm not sure where the threads start. I can check the cameras easily as they are here, the kayak however is in the garage I rent about a mile away.

I'd hoped to avoid adding extra plates and stuff, but I may have to. Bugger.
I have a selection of self adhesive/strap-on mounts which could conceivably be drilled for a bolt. Or maybe braze an M6 and a 1/4 whit bolt together, any garage with a MIG or gas welder could probably do it.

The threaded ends of a stud wouldn’t need to rotate independently if you have locknuts on one or both ends

Truxx

LE
1/4 -20 unc is the standard.

Adding height is not a problem, if anything a bonus as the camera will get less splash. PM inbound shortly.

Eta read the reply properly.

Fair point on spinning - hadn't really thought that through! In essence I need the camera to end up facing forward. But I'm not sure where the threads start. I can check the cameras easily as they are here, the kayak however is in the garage I rent about a mile away.
you could do woth a little awivel on the middle that can be locked out at whatever position you want. What about tilting fore and aft, or are you just going to let the camera look parallel with the kayak?

Truxx

LE
A quick look on amazon reveals a ball head camera clamp that could easily be adapted by drilling a 6 mm hole in the bottom "foot" and simply attaching that to the kayak with a suitable length probably 10 or 15mm machine screw. Job jobbed.

you could do woth a little awivel on the middle that can be locked out at whatever position you want. What about tilting fore and aft, or are you just going to let the camera look parallel with the kayak?
Parallel should work...

I'll have a look at those Amazon ones. Cheers folks

Truxx

LE
I agree, but the markings are what I quoted to avoid error!
And under 1/2 inch, unless you're working somewhere on something very exotic, they are interchangeable as the slight difference in thread form is insignificant from a practical point of view.

Latest Threads