Thousands plan to leave police service

ericthellama

War Hero
From the BBC this morning. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29802602#

"More than 5,000 police officers in England and Wales are planning to leave the service in the next two years, a Police Federation survey suggests. Of the 32,000 officers who responded, 94% said they believed morale in the service was low or very low."

"The survey, which was released to BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast, found 94% of officers believe morale in the service was low, compared with 62% in the armed forces, who were asked the same question."

I know several Police Officers, and without exception, at an operational level they are all overstretched, and are all just counting the days before they can retire. Mostly, they are desperate to get away from the day-to-day contact they have with Joe Public.

I suspect that apart from being asked to do more with less (sound familiar?), there is a backdrop of scapegoating in the media that is eroding their position in society. Some of it is deserved, but they do seem to be the first ones at the end of the medias pointy finger. If we've already lost about 15,000 over recent cuts, are we going to see a crisis in Policing in the next couple of years? I reckon so.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just how much of this natural wastage and also what are the recruitment figures? Very one-sided reporting.

ericthellama

War Hero
From a quick Google :

Forces need to save £2.4bn by the end of the current spending review period (March 2015). HMIC found that forces have plans in place to save £2.1bn of this. £233m of the £302m outstanding gap is accounted for by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS).

Between March 2010 and March 2015, forces plan to cut the frontline total workforce (officers and staff) by 6% (8,100), and non-frontline functions by 33% (20,300) – although these percentages mask variation between forces, with one cutting by as much as 19%, and another planning a 9% increase.

Source: HMIC report 'Policing in Austerity - one year on' - July 2012

From the BBC : The number of young police officers in England and Wales has fallen by nearly 50% in two years.
There were 9,088 officers aged under 26 in 2009-10 but only 4,758 in 2011-12, figures obtained by the BBC

You're right of course, a lot of it will be natural wastage, since a couple I know are approaching their retirement point. Some of this might be disgruntled officers reacting negatively to the cuts, but that level of morale can only be concerning. Also, given the bleating this week about the poor relationship young people have with the Police, I get the impression that it's no longer seen as a 'blue chip' profession.

Interesting as 7 years ago you you couldn'rt get into the Hampshire Constabulary for love nor money unless you were black or chinese.
Not my racism, that was the policy as they were underrepresented in the service.
The Transport Police were the same. Had guys joining surrounding counties because of the lack of jobs.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I know several Police Officers, and without exception, at an operational level they are all overstretched, and are all just counting the days before they can retire. Mostly, they are desperate to get away from the day-to-day contact they have with Joe Public.

How can they expect to police effectively if they dont have this? Surely its expected when you join??

This is a growing problem in many areas of frontline public service.Think Policing, Teaching, Nursing, General Practice, Armed forces. Pay and conditions, including pensions, have been steadily eroded, while workload has risen dramatically. When this is combined with the Jeremy Kyle fodder/chavpop/I know my rights culture, and the inability/lack of will of the justice system to effectively punish/deter those who abuse/assault public servants, is it really a surprise that people want out.

New recruits will keep applying, as they don't yet know how far the day to day realities of most public sector jobs are from their preconceived ideas.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
This is a growing problem in many areas of frontline public service.Think Policing, Teaching, Nursing, General Practice, Armed forces. Pay and conditions, including pensions, have been steadily eroded, while workload has risen dramatically. When this is combined with the Jeremy Kyle fodder/chavpop/I know my rights culture, and the inability/lack of will of the justice system to effectively punish those who abuse/assault public servants, is it really a surprise that people want out.

New recruits will keep applying, as they don't yet know how far the day to day realities of most public sector jobs are from their preconceived ideas.
Quite and anyone young and sensible can go abroad with those skills for much better TACOS. I'm being pestered by nursing agencies at the minute offering double and more than my NHS work.

My son applies to join the Met. Good lad, got the gcse's and confident manner will get him through the interview. Then, "Please note: to be offered a place on the training course, you must have successfully attained the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing (CKP) qualification.". Oh, well that's paid for training isn't it? No. You have to pay for it. around £800. But isn't it reimbursed if successful? No. So I pay £800 to apply for a job in the Met. Yes. So you get stiffed even before you get in. :cool:

My son applies to join the Met. Good lad, got the gcse's and confident manner will get him through the interview. Then, "Please note: to be offered a place on the training course, you must have successfully attained the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing (CKP) qualification.". Oh, well that's paid for training isn't it? No. You have to pay for it. around £800. But isn't it reimbursed if successful? No. So I pay £800 to apply for a job in the Met. Yes. So you get stiffed even before you get in. :cool:

...............which is why many potential candidates took the Special route and then opting to get in as many monthly shifts as they could.

Interesting as 7 years ago you you couldn'rt get into the Hampshire Constabulary for love nor money unless you were black or chinese.
Not my racism, that was the policy as they were underrepresented in the service.
The Transport Police were the same. Had guys joining surrounding counties because of the lack of jobs.

Sounds familiar to the Fire Brigade a few years back, when I was leaving the Army. I applied to a few brigades in the North East. Couldn't even get on an open day.

Heap of shite, glad I was never successful.

Quite and anyone young and sensible can go abroad with those skills for much better TACOS. I'm being pestered by nursing agencies at the minute offering double and more than my NHS work.

You're quite right. Much as it will be a heartbreaker, I won't try to dissuade my offspring from looking abroad for work when the time comes.

My son applied when he left the forces a few years ago and was more or less told there was no chance of joining in the foreseeable future. He was advised to become a special for a few years and reapply. It would appear that unless you are from a ethnic minority group or LGBT you have little chance of being recruited.
The serving Police I do know are, in the main, not very happy in the job, where whole swathes of pc, cultural awareness, human rights, poor leadership/management and politically motivated targets, override old fashioned, villain nicking, common sense policing. Many of these say they would leave as soon as it was financially expedient.
It does not bode well for our future security.

My son applied when he left the forces a few years ago and was more or less told there was no chance of joining in the foreseeable future.
The serving Police I do know are, in the main, not very happy in the job, where whole swathes of pc, cultural awareness, human rights, poor leadership/management and politically motivated targets, override old fashioned, villain nicking, common sense policing. Many of these say they would leave as soon as it was financially expedient.
It does not bode well for our future security.

That's the same story my plod mate tells me.

NSP

LE
With the apparent colour- and sexuality-bar is there not some lawyer somewhere eager for a class action, since as far as I know the laws on discrimination quite rightly make all discrimination illegal - including that against white and straight people???

With the apparent colour- and sexuality-bar is there not some lawyer somewhere eager for a class action, since as far as I know the laws on discrimination quite rightly make all discrimination illegal - including that against white and straight people???

That's a joke yes? These groups lawyers would have all the right (race/gay) cards and sue you should you dare champion any white heterosexuals.
http://www.nbpa.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Police_Association

Couple of my friends morale has just taken a hit, once again at short notice their rest days have been cancelled due to extra staffing needed for an "unforseen event".
Their bosses realised yesterday that "Mischief night" and Bonfire night has "suddenly" appeared.
I know Mischief night is a newish phenomenon but Bonfire night catching them by surprise? It only been 400ish years of November 5ths. So you can see how it came out of nowhere.

Then theres the "We are not figures lead" but figures are low what are you doing about it?

My son applied when he left the forces a few years ago and was more or less told there was no chance of joining in the foreseeable future. He was advised to become a special for a few years and reapply. It would appear that unless you are from a ethnic minority group or LGBT you have little chance of being recruited.
Th.
An old collegue of mine from the Specials applied for a job at HQ and put Bisexual on her application form & even updated her Faceburk page to reflect this so she could at least tick one box on the quotas form.

The Wiz

Clanker
Public sector, it's a bit sh!t isn't it? I've been in public sector for 15 years now (Army, NHS, a bit of DWP thrown in there). Had enough of it tbqfh. Going to hope I get made redundant, pick up redundancy, pay off flat and set up by myself.

Latest Threads