Thousands Of Troops Will Miss Out On Election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Apr 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/General-Election-Tens-Of-Thousands-Of-Military-Men-And-Women-Will-Note-Have-A-Vote/Article/201003415589997?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15589997_General_Election%3A_Tens_Of_Thousands_Of_Military_Men_And_Women_Will_Note_Have_A_Vote

"Latest figures from the Government's Defence Analytical Services show that more than 34,000 full-time members of the Armed Forces are not registered to vote.

That is 19% of the services, almost one in five of those in uniform - their votes that could be pivotal in a tight contest."

I always voted by proxy - so what is the score here?

2. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

3. Probably because voting by proxy is not an option for some of us. I would like a system in place to ensure that my vote counts. However in an age of secure comm's, email and the web we still haver a postal system imposed on us that guarantees no chance of getting the necessary paperwork to you in time for it to be sent back to make the count.

4. applied for my paperwork 2 months ago, when it arrived it stated because I am in HM forces I must vote via proxy, even though I own my own home, the whole voting system is massively out dated anyway