Thousands of police to lose jobs as forces feel the pinch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times:

Thousands of police to lose jobs as forces feel the pinch

Chief constables fear crimewave as recession bites

Large numbers of police forces are planning to cut thousands of officers despite the threat of a recession-driven surge in crime and disorder.
    Representatives from dozens of police forces contacted by The Times last night gave a grim picture of falling numbers and “significant and painful” cuts.

One of Britain’s most experienced chief constables said that forces were being dangerously weakened at a time when a strong police force could be essential to “hold the line”. Timothy Brain, Chief Constable of Gloucestershire since 2001, said: “There is a risk of increased crime and disorder as a result of the effect of recession and many police forces will be made weaker as a result of the latest grant and council tax settlements.”

Dorset said it would be cutting 50 officers while neighbouring Hampshire will lose more than 100.

Humberside Police has a five-year plan to replace 300 police officers with civilian staff and in Durham numbers have dropped by 120 in the past three years with further cuts expected.

Some 80 officer positions are expected to go in Gwent, North Yorkshire has dropped by 120 in the past two years and South Yorkshire Police cut 82 officers last year. Surrey is bracing itself for “significant and painful cuts” with the loss of 144 officers and staff.

More at:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5793087.ece

2. When you reduce police numbers you increase the pressure on those that remain with the inevitable result that the attrition rate increases as officers leave through ill health, frustration, retirement and natural wastage and so the cycle continues.
    It always annoys me how many councils slash police budgets whilst continuing to support niche causes and junkets for the councillors. It is about time that councils give the police the budgets and resources they so desperately need.

3. All on full pensions,I suppose?

4. So what about those plastic community support officers? I thought part of the arguement for them was the training aspect. So why not get rid of 200 of them rather than 100 proper effective police officers? Unless this is just the Chief constables taking the opportunity to justify offloading deadwood.

5. I wonder if the police have heard of "manning control"? They could save a bomb on salaries and pensions and buy hodloads of PCSOs with the dividend.

Yeah? you and whose police "service"?

6. Scare mongering to remind the political class of the value of the police or prescience?

SUMMER OF RAGE CLICKY

It would seem odd indeed to cut back on front line staff with this in the pipeline should it prove to be true.

The obvious upside of this being that we can spend the entire summer,feet up in front of the telly drinking cold beer,while we watch 100's of policing hobbyists getting a hiding on our streets. :D

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What's your point? I doubt if many of those let go will be too happy about it.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

April is going to be fun then. The coming train wreck that this bunch of idiots are leading the economy into civil unrest is just a matter of time. The G20 will just be the excuse.

With proposed police cutbacks and the Army in Afghanistan, who's going to protect London?

As has been suggested, get some beer in and turn on CNN.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I have to say, in my area, how could we tell if they lost their jobs. Speed cameras will still be there, and platic plod still bimbling about, shopping or gossiping.

10. Direct result of the shite funding formula used by our glorious Government coupled with serious flaws in the way the Police forces are obliged to operate thanks to constant political meddling

Not a new issue, same thing happened in 2007 & 2008 over funding shortfalls

11. I don't care if we have no police as long as at least 40% of my council tac goes on sickness leave, junkets and pensions indexed link, scum for the use of Council workers perks don't get touched.

Dave

12. How much of this is down to the police going through the pain of having to justify police officers performing duties that do not necessarily require the holding of a warrant card.

The forces went through similar pain, if this post holder is never going to deploy, why should they be a serving member?

It looks good on paper, provides a nice statistic (All members of the armed forces are available for deployment / We now have a higher proportion of police officers out on the street) but does not allow for any flexibility and limits the ability to surge in emergencies.

It could actually be effective as long as the political masters think it through, allow for unforeseen events and plan it properly. Oh dear.

13. Err... Call me a cynical old f***witt... but would reducing the number of police on the streets necessarily lead to an increase in crime ... or perhaps a reduction??

Essex Copper Arrested Over Uefa Cup Riots

14. I find this report, and it's timing a little bit whiffy.

West Midlands Police have just announced they will have a shortfall of some 200 Officers thanks to retirement, as all the Coppers who joined in the boom times of the 70's leave. I am very sure WMP weren't the only big recruiters in the 70's.

So why are they saying they're going to have to lay Cops off, when one of the largest forces is saying "Help we need more Coppers"?

15. Because, following their very own Comprehensive Spending Review the central funding is variable and based on statistics that I would not wipe my arrse on. At the same time the funding they can get from local authorities is effectively capped so they are expected to make "efficiency savings".

Surrey Police for example have to find 50% of their funding from local sources compared to a national average of 22% despite being the "best performing" (whatever that means) force in England. Surrey councils will not wear big increases so result is cuts.

It really is bollox and nobody should be surprised by this because 80% of the Police budget is consumed by manpower costs. Not difficult to work out what those "efficiency savings" must turn out to be, is it?

"Over the last ten years the proportion of total police funding raised through precept on council tax has risen from 13.0% in 1997-98 to 21.5% in 2006-07. The Government has made clear that it expects council tax increases for 2007-08 onward not to exceed 5% per annum. We recommend that the Government should look again at the specific question of whether it is appropriate for police precept to remain effectively capped at 5% in line with other local authority budget increase limits. The Government should commission research into the reasons behind the considerable disparity in the amount of police precept raised by different forces, and what might be done to reduce this.

We conclude that if the CSR settlement is as tight as seems likely, police authorities will need to work closely with forces to identify where there are less urgent programmes or activities which could be scaled back or postponed if need be. Any new initiatives from the centre should take full account of local funding implications.

The Government maintains that any shortfall in the funding settlement will need to be met by increased efficiencies, either cash-releasing or capacity-building. We conclude that the Government must be specific and realistic about the scale and nature of efficiencies it expects the police to make. "

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.com/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmhaff/553/55302.htm