Thousands of police accused of corruption – just 13 convicted

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bushmills, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The new head of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has questioned the ability of forces to investigate their own officers for corruption after it emerged that more than 8,500 allegations of wrongdoing resulted in just 13 criminal convictions.

Officers – including some from the most senior ranks – were accused of crimes including rape, the misuse of corporate credit cards and perverting the course of justice, but most cases were not substantiated and only a tiny fraction ever came to court.

Dame Anne Owers said that there was scepticism about the extent to which police officers could investigate colleagues' alleged crimes, and she demanded more resources to supervise inquiries to ensure confidence in the system. "The public is understandably doubtful about the extent to which, in this particular instance, the police can investigate themselves," she said in a report by the IPCC.

She concluded that the corruption identified over the three years to 2011 was not endemic or widespread. But she accepted that it was "corrosive of the public trust that is at the heart of policing" with the number of cases increasing.

"A serious focus on tackling police corruption is important, not just because it unearths unethical police behaviour, but because of the role it plays in wider public trust," said Dame Anne, a former inspector of prisons.

The report was published just after it was announced that the IPCC – which looks into allegations of police misconduct and deaths in custody – will itself be put under the spotlight by a powerful parliamentary committee amid concerns over its record. Its investigation teams include former police officers and the Home Affairs Select Committee will assess whether it is able to carry out impartial inquiries.

The IPCC corruption report was ordered by the Home Secretary, Theresa May, because of concerns in the light of the phone-hacking scandal and the role of private investigators. The commission said that it looked at a total of 104 cases and referred less than half of those to prosecutors. It resulted in court cases involving 18 officers, with 13 of them convicted.

The highest ranking officer convicted was Ali Dizaei, the former Metropolitan Police commander, who was sacked this month after his release from prison after serving a three-year term for misconduct in public office and perverting the course of justice.

He was found guilty of framing a man in a dispute over an unpaid bill for work on his personal website in what the court heard was a "wholesale abuse of power". The report also highlighted the case of the former chief constable of North Yorkshire, Grahame Maxwell, who narrowly avoided the sack after helping a member of his family to get a job.

An examination of the cases found that substance abuse, links with criminals and dissatisfaction at work all increased the vulnerability of officers to corruption and needed to be addressed.

Policing has been punctuated by scandals over the past four decades that led to notorious miscarriages of justice including the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six.

Deputy Chief Constable Bernard Lawson, of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said: "This report again recognises that corruption is neither endemic nor widespread in the police service. However, the actions of a few corrupt officers can corrode the great work of so many working hard daily to protect the public."
    Thousands of police accused of corruption
  2. Its hardly news.

Plod round here are a law unto themselves, especially when it comes to domestics, if you've done wrong or not.

Complaints get nowhere, CCTV has a nasty habit of disappearing round here too.

3. pebbles please explain how they are a "Law unto themselves". Taking into account the national guidelines for dealing with domestics how can one officer never mind an entire force be outside what is deemed nationally exceptable.

Do you think officers go to an incident where one party makes an allegation of assault and they just make it up??

bushmills I see you have another anti police post are we to get the idea you don't like plod??
  4. Policemen must get an awful lot of unfounded/malicious accusations made against them; if they're not up to no good then they'll be cleared - perhaps it's time for a national agency coming under the control of the Ministry of Justice, to carry out investigations that are less likely to lead to accusations of connivance.

Caesar's wife and all that.
  5. On the contrary, my grand dad, dad, two brothers and a sister, and about 10 cousins are serving or retired coppers.

I have worked in law enforcement,compliance and audit for various government agencies.

I just don't like bad plod and 13 convictions from 8500 complaints does not ring true to me.

Does it ring true for you?
  6. Use of excessive force, getting witness's to change statements, charging people despite what the evidence points to, harassment at places of work, failing to disclose evidence, making malicious mis-statements, arresting people for made up 'breach of bail', unlawful surveillance.

Regularly, cases put forward get dropped on the day of the trial after the victim has spent months on remand.
  7. The IPCC are anything but Independent. Like a room inspection in basic they MUST find something wrong to justify their existence.

Funnily enough policing being a confrontational job leads to lots of situations where people aren't happy at being nicked or being told 'no' so they think "right I'll have him" and complain. Often about utter shite. The IPCC must follow them up and surprise surprise most turn out to be bullshit.

If they're looking for corruption it wont be found in the street level coppers, they wanna look higher up at allocation of contracts for services and procurement. Plus the senior ranks cosying up to politicians, think tanks and the media.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Er, speaking as someone who has lots of experience in this dept, I call *coughbullshitcough*

The police don't decide on charges, the CPS do.

Statement are amended when witnesses ask them to be, and quite frankly in many years coppering I've never ever seen what you describe
  9. 8500 'complaints' not actual offences or even charges. Just people, the majority of which will be people with grudges against plod, who have complained.

Compare the conviction rate of ordinary cases to the amount of calls received by police and 13 is very high.
  10. The frontline coppers are largely decent blokes, especially the ex-mob guys. Its the ******* in the background who send division to do the dirty work that bring about a bad perception of the service.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. According to the IPCC website there are actually about 60,000 allegations against coppers a year. I wonder where the 8500 figure came from?

Annual police complaints statistics
  12. I agree, I am just questioning the statistics.
  13. Been duffing the mrs up have we?

"baked bean tin labels face FCUKING OUT when when they're in the cupboard love!!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I was just thinking that myself.
  15. It's a thought, just a thought, but, based on the magna carta/habeas corpus and the bill or rights, if only 13 were convicted, then the rest were and are ****ing innocent!
    • Like Like x 2