Thousands of Afghanistan troops face missing election vote

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Apr 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Below is an article from yesterday's Independent about service voting from Afghanistan. The article quotes ARRSE so I trust the Independent won't mind us quoting their article in full.

I dont have figures yet but the estimate of thousands of the 9,500 force missing out on their vote - for one reason or another - is likely to be correct.

Couple of quick comments: The special arrangements for handling postal votes from Afghanistan have not been hurriedly made in the past month as some might think from the article; we want something far more radical but we still hope that this one-off exercise will enable more troops to vote than would have managed without it. We do not know how many have registered using the special registration form, but anecdotal reports so far from BAFF members in theatre is that availability of the form has been good.

The advice throughout has been to consider using a proxy vote if you can, but recognising that a proxy is not an option for many, hence these special arrangements to give people a much better chance than before (but no guarantee) of successfully voting by post. These arrangements do nothing, of course, to help service voters in Germany, Cyprus etc or at sea.

WEB SOURCE

2. Let’s hope some of the postal votes from Afghanistan get back in time to count.

Shame about those in Cyprus, Falklands, Iraq, Belize, Germany etc…trying to vote by post………

3. And those of us on 3 week exercises over the election period so no chance of using postal vote or voting in person even though we are in the UK. What % of UK Armed Forces will actually be able to vote - once the overseas posted, operational, UK based but exercising are taken into account?

4. I'm sure during the elections in 1945 the final announcements couldn't be made until all the service votes were in. This must have been a monumental exercise when you consider how we were scattered across the globe in huge numbers unlike today. Call me Mr Cynical!

5. Indeed, and there was a time that postal services were available on any exercise. It would be useful to hear from anyone in uniform directly affected by this or any similar problem - internet access permitting!

I think reserve forces units are expected not to initiate training activities which might interfere with voting.

6. In 1945 I think there was emergency legislation to delay the final count of ballots by three weeks to ensure most votes from overseas were counted.

Quite a simple solution really…………

7. That's right. The period for getting in the votes was extended to allow this to happen. It helped that the forces had available logistic and transport resources following Victory in Europe.

8. Come on - there has been more than enough time for people to set up a proxy vote. If people are not interested enough to do this, then they are not interested enough in voting. There is also a degree of CoC responsibility to ensure this is highlighted and I think that the CoC have done their bit. There are many ways an individual can enfanchise themselves. If they chose not to, then that is their faullt.

9. Wooger,

Not everyone has a proxy. Many of the allies our troops serve alongside in Afghanistan have no problem facilitating the secret votes of their service personnel. Speaking to those from other nations it is an anathema that we are advised to vote by proxy once we step off UK soil.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

In this day and age we should have a way where a soldier can walk into a location and register a vote by elictronic mail
    An officer can be present and each soldier already has a unique number that will identify him it shouldn't be hard

If we can move heaven and earth to make sure Afghans and Iraqi's can not only vote in their homeland but in Leeds, Birmingham and London we should be making sure the people who are defending the so called democracy in those countries are alowed a democtratic vote in their own country

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I've seen, in Afghanistan, the preparations and systems used by both the USA and Canada to allow ALL their Service personnel to vote while in Theatre. ISTR that the Canadians did it over the course of a few days, to allow those on Ops to rotate in - not rocket science.

I presume the only reason we do not do this is because of Cost? For it is entirely possible - indeed relatively straightforward.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Or they don't want thousands of Bill Oddies voting against the Goverment of the day
    Remember what happened to Churchill

13. the_boy_syrup

Not only did the Iraqi’s arrange this year for their citizens to vote at polling stations in UK, for their national elections in Iraq, they arranged their Out-of-country Voting Programme to include an estimated 1.4 million nationals living in 16 different countries. They improved on the system used in the 2005 elections by allowing both registration and voting on the same day.

Quite amazing really ……….

14. It looks increasingly likely (though by no means a certainty) that I will be back in the UK in time to vote. At the time I was deployed, over six months ago, the General Election was likely to be after after my unit returned - due to an extension of our deployment, most of my colleagues, even if registered for a postal vote, will be completely unable to exercise that right. As for Proxy voting, yes, it's an option, but not a particularly attractive one for many. Who do you get to cast your vote? So many of my friends are divorced that there is no wife or long-term partner to do this for them, and due to the nature of our employment, friends and family often do not live in the constituency where we are registered to vote. For me, it's not too big a deal, as I don't think that my vote would count for too much, considering the constituency in which I live, and the way I would be likely to vote. To put it another way, If my sitting MP did not keep his seat, regardless of any other results, it would be the main story in every paper.

15. My very first post on ARRSE back in November last year:

Recently I wrote the following letter which was published in the Shropshire Star:
    Soldiers don't ordinarily do politics, but it's abundantly clear now that having committed our forces to two major overseas conflicts, the government wilfully ignored military advice and wittingly neglected their medical, equipment, helicopters and troop reinforcement needs. Many a funeral cortege through Wootton Bassett might have been avoided, but for this wicked recklessness. There has never been a better argument for the radical simplification of voting procedures for the armed forces and their dependants. We've had quite enough flannel about how things are fine when actually, they're far from it. The fact is, that the ability of service personnel to register their votes is seriously impeded by bureaucracy. Equality and diversity legislation ensures that other sections of society receive fair consideration of their needs, so must our troops. Their special role, the sacrifices expected of them and the nomadic lifestyle imposed upon them by operational requirements should entitle them to special voting arrangements and the unique privilige of being able to vote for any party or candidate, in any ward they choose, anywhere in the UK. The ramifications of that would be considerable and would make any future government think twice before sending our forces to war.

Today, the Independent published an article which reported that Lib Dem peer, Lord Roberts was raising the issue of the Government's scandalous failure to help the Forces exercise their democratic right to vote after it emerged that about 60,000 or one third are unregistered.

Mithering your MP about this issue is dead easy. Google him or her and send an e mail or a bluey demanding better voting priviliges. Get your friends and family to do it too. You deserve easier voting rights, but you have to fight for them and it won't half put the frighteners on Westminster!