Thousands expected to honour TA

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Car parking charges are to be suspended in a Surrey town to encourage as many people as possible to cheer Territorial Army (TA) troops on a centenary parade.

Soldiers based in Redhill and Reigate will march through Reigate before a reception at the town hall on 10 May.

"I would like to see as many people as possible lining the route to give the troops the recognition they deserve," said Mayor Dorothy Ross-Tomlin.

"We are expecting thousands of people to come to cheer the troops on."

The TA launched celebrations across the UK on 1 April to mark its centenary.

Surrey's tribute to the soldiers kicked off in Guildford on 5 April, when more than 200 members of the TA marched through the town, watched by hundreds of onlookers.

Surrey has five TA units, based in Farnham, Camberley, Redhill, Reigate and Chertsey.

Peacekeeping overseas

Troops from 150 Recovery Company Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, based in Redhill, and 2 Field Troop 579 Field Squadron, based in Reigate, will parade on 10 May.

Many of them have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and on peacekeeping duties overseas in recent years.

"We wanted to recognise the service of the borough's troops to their country and to thank them for the sacrifices they and their families have made," said Cllr Ross-Tomlin.

"The parade will enable both the council and the borough's residents to join together to show our gratitude.

Reigate and Banstead council said the free parking in the town centre car parks was a goodwill gesture for people attending the event.

But it said it wanted as many people as possible to walk into the town or use public transport to ease congestion.

The Town Hall car park will be closed until 1500 BST and motorists are warned to expect delays because of road closures and diversions.
  2. Pity they got the number of Units in Surrey wrong, Kingston and Coulsdon are missing! IIRC there is one in Ewell/Epsom too.
  3. I hope they get a good turnout. The TA took on a massive increase in demands of deployment within my lifetime. I doubt the regular army could cope without these guys now.

That is a two edged sword though. Current deployments have little relevance to defending our borders. The fact that the TA are a vital part of current military operations should be sounding alarm bells off in MOD/UK Govt.

Having said that, I do wish the TA and all it's members well and they do deserve recognition for their services/sacrifices. Happy 100th birthday.