Thought police slapped down.

exiledblue

War Hero
You know what we should do.

Any time a Vegan tells you off for eating meat call the police and report ot as a hate crime.

Any time a god botherer tells you you will go to hell - report it as a hate crime.

Any time someone tells you your football team is shite - report it as a hate crime.

I feel I can go on here a while

Don't police officers have a certain amount of discretion, all the way from Chief Constable all the way down to Constable?

In other words, there are multiple opportunities for idiotic 'hate crime' complaints to be kicked into the long grass, and the fact they aren't indicates a preference by those officers to be politically correct rather than exercise common sense.
You don’t really understand how a report is taken by a call taker and then transferred to computer and allocated to an officer to progress. It’s already been created and allocated a number and category. Once on the system, it can never be deleted. This leaves an officer having to make a call or a visit and often nothing else to file it.

Why would you? Maybe ask and you would be told.

Hah, the pernicious foreign crime of 'jaywalking'.

Happily, an Englishman may still exercise his jealously guarded and ancient right to be knocked down wherever he so pleases.
Happened round our way recently. The driver was found not to be at fault and (once he'd recovered from his serious injuries) the pedestrian was told 'WTF did you expect, crossing a busy road, on a bend, at night, in the pishing rain, wearing dark clothing, without looking'. Even funnier was the woman who drove past the cones and traffic car with its blues on blocking the road and nearly ran one of the Rats (traffic officers) over. How we laughed as he asked 'Excuse me madam, but what are you doing?' (or words to that effect) I don't know what her reply was but his next phrase was [sniff, sniff] 'Have you been drinking?' She certainly had and I ended up taking her to custody whence she blew way over the limit and has been banned.

Awol

LE
You don’t really understand how a report is taken by a call taker and then transferred to computer and allocated to an officer to progress. It’s already been created and allocated a number and category. Once on the system, it can never be deleted. This leaves an officer having to make a call or a visit and often nothing else to file it.

At no point can someone say "this is bollox" and bin it?

I have actually had to give 'Words of advice' over a spat between ex-partners (isn't it always) where one party had complained that the other had 'looked at me in a funny way' [sic]. I managed to get a sly reference to Constable Savage into the write up but sadly no one noticed, nor had anyone on my code heard of Not the 9 O'Clock News. I am old and the world is mad.

Im not sure of the legality in your neck of the woods but the multi coloured zebra doesn't meet the legal standards either here OZ or in UK. black and white make a zebra. Run over someone on a multi coloured zebra, is it a zebra, do i need to give way as a car driver?

I have no problems with making them multi coloured but im sure a lawyer could have fun with that if the need arised.
When is a Zebra crossing not a Zebra crossing you ask? For the crossing to be lawful, the stripes must comply with Schedule 14, Part 1, paragraph 18 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.

If they fail to comply with aforesaid Statutory Instrument they are an obstruction to the highway, unless the relevant highway authority has received authorisation from the Secretary of State, via the Department for Transport, for such a non-prescribed marking to be authorised for use at a specific location or on a network wide basis within the highway authorities area.

Any highway authority causing or permitting such unlawful marks to be placed on the public highway without such authorisation act beyond their legal powers and those responsible could lay themselves open to a claim for damages.

So there.

In the dim and distant past there was a result code NCFPA (No Cause for Police Action). It was often accompanied by the less official explanatory prefix of LOB (Load of Bollocks).

It would probably constitute a sacking offence today. Certainly a disciplinary.

Yes, and it happens regularly. Often at the call taker stage and often after a quick phone call or house call to the person concerned to establish whether there are any concerns. However if a crime is alleged, it has to be recorded, it may initially be sold to police as a crime but many are downgraded to incident by police as required to do.

I’m not a fan of “Hate Incidents” but they can be a pre cursor to offending and more serious escalations into crime, especially with juveniles and those with MH issues, who may have issues that need intervention by Social Services.

An example would be someone with radical religious views who starts with fairly tame behaviour that escalates over time.

Here is an example of Home Office Crime Recording Standards. Not much left to discretion.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't police officers have a certain amount of discretion, all the way from Chief Constable all the way down to Constable?

In other words, there are multiple opportunities for idiotic 'hate crime' complaints to be kicked into the long grass, and the fact they aren't indicates a preference by those officers to be politically correct rather than exercise common sense.
Discretion was used for a variety of incidents, I honestly believe that today’s modern cop led by direct entry Supts and Ch Insp have little room for discretion as the so called leaders want results in black and white.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
In the dim and distant past there was a result code NCFPA (No Cause for Police Action). It was often accompanied by the less official explanatory prefix of LOB (Load of Bollocks).

Really, it’s as bad as that is it? Poor bastards.

We had unofficial medical codes,

DIBC - doctor informed, back covered

One Dr would write "dispense ADT" (any damn thing - we usually gave vitamin pills, once laxatives)

We had some more and I can't remember them now.

Royal College of Policing 140 page document on Hate Crime Operational Guidance. Section 6 refers to ‘Responses to hate incidents’. This I understand is the guidance going to the Supreme Court.

Section 6.4 shows the discretion given to officers, albeit probably not granted by line mgt. and even mentions the thread title:
6.4 Opposition to police policy

The recording of, and response to, non-crime hate incidents does not have universal support in society. Some people use this as evidence to accuse the police of becoming ‘the thought police’, trying to control what citizens think or believe, rather than what they do. While the police reject this view, it is important that officers do not overreact to non-crime incidents. To do so would leave the police service vulnerable to civil legal action or criticism in the media and this could undermine community confidence in policing.

The circumstances of any incident dictate the correct response, but it must be compatible with section 6(1) of the Human Rights Act 1998. The Act states that it is unlawful for a public authority to act in a way which is incompatible with a right conferred by the European Convention on Human Rights. Some of these rights are absolute and can never be interfered with by the state, eg, the freedom from torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Some, such as the right to liberty, are classed as limited rights and can be restricted in specific and finite circumstances. Others, such as the right to respect for private and family life, the right to manifest one’s religion or beliefs, freedom of expression, and freedom of assembly and association are qualified and require a balance to be struck between the rights of the individual and those of the wider community.

Discretion was used for a variety of incidents, I honestly believe that today’s modern cop led by direct entry Supts and Ch Insp have little room for discretion as the so called leaders want results in black and white.
That’s when you had shredders and everything was on paper and not fully auditable on a computer system. It was also open to abuse.

All calls to police are now recorded and can be checked through to the stage that an officer files a completed case. You wanted accountability, you got it.

exiledblue

War Hero
When is a Zebra crossing not a Zebra crossing you ask? For the crossing to be lawful, the stripes must comply with Schedule 14, Part 1, paragraph 18 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.

If they fail to comply with aforesaid Statutory Instrument they are an obstruction to the highway, unless the relevant highway authority has received authorisation from the Secretary of State, via the Department for Transport, for such a non-prescribed marking to be authorised for use at a specific location or on a network wide basis within the highway authorities area.

Any highway authority causing or permitting such unlawful marks to be placed on the public highway without such authorisation act beyond their legal powers and those responsible could lay themselves open to a claim for damages.

So there.
Cocky ******, I could have written that from memory 15 years ago.

I do miss the TSR & GD.

Australian regs are so ****

We had unofficial medical codes,

DIBC - doctor informed, back covered

One Dr would write "dispense ADT" (any damn thing - we usually gave vitamin pills, once laxatives)

We had some more and I can't remember them now.
I've heard of some of the ones used by GPs in their notes eg: NFN = Normal For Norfolk and (rather worryingly) TUBE = Totally Unnecessary Breast Examination.

I can't deny it doesn't sit well with me to slag off the coppers.. But, they're make it very very hard not to show frustration from time to time, with the new model police/social workers and I just wish they're would man up and own the job and where the hell is the police union ?

What is worrying, is I still think of the them as on our side most of the time. But, how do they're feel about our side ?

Yes, and it happens regularly. Often at the call taker stage and often after a quick phone call or house call to the person concerned to establish whether there are any concerns. However if a crime is alleged, it has to be recorded, it may initially be sold to police as a crime but many are downgraded to incident by police as required to do.

I’m not a fan of “Hate Incidents” but they can be a pre cursor to offending and more serious escalations into crime, especially with juveniles and those with MH issues, who may have issues that need intervention by Social Services.

An example would be someone with radical religious views who starts with fairly tame behaviour that escalates over time.

Here is an example of Home Office Crime Recording Standards. Not much left to discretion.

:)

exiledblue

War Hero
That’s when you had shredders and everything was on paper and not fully auditable on a computer system. It was also open to abuse.

All calls to police are now recorded and can be checked through to the stage that an officer files a completed case. You wanted accountability, you got it.
Yes accountability - if you call some one a twat make sure you don't do it where it needs to be recorded, emails etc.

Call them a twat but make sure there is no record.

Same in all public service now

Hopefully the pendulum will swing back that allows police officers to call LOB on things that are a LOB.

There's too many targets and not enough common sense being used.

Latest Threads