Thought Police in action.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you're required by your job to engage in activity that you believe is wrong (as can be plausibly be understood from your post)
What bit are you referring to? I've got my post-work confused and tired head on.

There was a TV programme on telly several years ago called Undercover Mosque. A couple of journos with a hidden camera visited mosques that were known to entertain radical preachers. They filmed imams telling the faithful that gays should be thrown off tall buildings; that Jews are descended from apes (aren't we all?) and that Muslims who renounce their faith should be crucified etc etc.

The police took immediate action - and tried to prosecute Channel 4 for inciting racial hatred.

When the CPS advised the police that there was no chance of a conviction, an Assistant Chief Constable pursued Channel 4 through complaints of racism made to Ofcom. Ofcom rejected all of the complaints.

IIRC, Channel 4 and the two journalists received a six figure compensation package after successfully suing the police and the CPS for libel - an option that would be beyond the resources of individual members of the public.
Investigations by the police and the CPS; Ofcom, libel case - WikiP

Not watched yet:

Dispatches: Undercover Mosque - youtube
"Can Islam ever truly become part of the modern world? Why is a religion that claims over a billion followers across the globe now seen as the worlds greatest .

Undercover Mosque reveals how a message of hatred and segregation is being spread throughout the UK..."

Dispatches - Undercover Mosque: The Return - youtube
"After the first 'Dispatches: Undercover Mosque' witnessed the rise of extremist Wahhabism within UK mosques, 'Undercover Mosque: The Return' explores further the terrifying beliefs of a rising ideology within the UK..."

Thing is though as time goes on we are going to be seeing more and more of stuff like this as older generations die out and the younger (brainwashed) generations take over. Well it's their time and it's going to be their world and like it or not we are going to have to put up with it unless we the people start getting a lot more selective about who we send to govern us.
Those who govern ignore the older generations at their peril, given their increasing demographic and undiminished enthusiasm in exercising their right to vote.
I believe that many people are heartily sick of being told what to say and think, especially living in a society where freedoms of speech and expression have historically been the cornerstones of democracy.
When growing numbers of disenchanted people are suddenly given the opportunity to give the metaphorical finger to the establishment, perhaps at the ballot box by voting against the establishments preferred choices, many of them are going to take it.

Those who govern ignore the older generations at their peril, given their increasing demographic and undiminished enthusiasm in exercising their right to vote.
I believe that many people are heartily sick of being told what to say and think, especially living in a society where freedoms of speech and expression have historically been the cornerstones of democracy.
When growing numbers of disenchanted people are suddenly given the opportunity to give the metaphorical finger to the establishment, perhaps at the ballot box by voting against the establishments preferred choices, many of them are going to take it.
Well as history as shown us, politicians will push so far but there comes a time when folks say enough and do something about it, maybe in the way you said might happen.

The generations coming up though and the ones still to born, they are the ones who will decide if this PC stuff stays or goes. The problem I see is if those generations are brainwashed from a very young age and accept it as the norm then there you have it, it's what it is.

It's not like brainwashing the young is anything new, governments in the past and indeed in the present have and are still doing it, look at the stuff 5 year olds are being subjected to already in school. All it takes is to keep repeating the same old bullsh!t over and over until it becomes accepted.

Best short term solution would be some power cuts. Those of us who lived through them in the '70's would no doubt muddle through in a bit of a grumbly way.*
However...sans power, how long would/could social media last?
*happy to be corrected but land lines wouldn't be affected?

Best short term solution would be some power cuts. Those of us who lived through them in the '70's would no doubt muddle through in a bit of a grumbly way.*
Landline works if house is out of power, one of the reasons I keep it.

Nomad1382

War Hero
Sam the Bam: The way 18USC2511(2)(d) is written, as long as the party making the intercept is a party to the call it is legal as long as the interception is not for the purposes of committing a crime. An example of the "one party consent" would be if you asked me if you could record a call I was making and I give consent. I am the one part of the conversation that is aware of the recording, again, as long as it isn't for the purposes of committing a crime.

endure

GCM
No power, no banks, no ATMs, no cash

Varrich

Swinger
Well as history as shown us, politicians will push so far but there comes a time when folks say enough and do something about it, maybe in the way you said might happen.

The generations coming up though and the ones still to born, they are the ones who will decide if this PC stuff stays or goes. The problem I see is if those generations are brainwashed from a very young age and accept it as the norm then there you have it, it's what it is.

It's not like brainwashing the young is anything new, governments in the past and indeed in the present have and are still doing it, look at the stuff 5 year olds are being subjected to already in school. All it takes is to keep repeating the same old bullsh!t over and over until it becomes accepted.
I really do think our young people will be the ones leading the kickback against it all, as you get older opinions and views change. Everyone is a bit right on and like to rail against the man when they're young but once you have a mortgage and kids then your views change. Mine certainly did. They will be the same, they will start to question things and then impart to their kids. My kids are either gone from the house or will be in a few years and I really do think the younger generation get much maligned and are really a hell of a lot smarter than a lot of us in our middle aged years give them credit for. They are certainly a lot more savvy than I was at their age, back then the news was Trevor McDonald telling you what happened followed by a slightly funny story like a water skiing squirrel or something. Now they are bombarded from all sides and yet I still see lots of analysing whats being said and coming to their own conclusions. And sticking to them too. If someone told me twenty years ago that in 2019 Police Officers would be calling up people and telling them to "check their thinking" I would have found that beyond belief. In another twenty or thirty what are we going to be able to be arrested or questioned for ??

Last summer I caught my then sixteen year old son reading 1984, I asked him why. He said it was because his English teacher told him it was a book he could not recommend. He loved it. I think we can trust the youngsters to step up.

Dredd

LE
Last summer I caught my then sixteen year old son reading 1984, I asked him why. He said it was because his English teacher told him it was a book he could not recommend. He loved it. I think we can trust the youngsters to step up.
Seriously? It was a mandatory staple of English classes when I was at school.

How times change.

And for the record, I re-read it not all that long ago, as well as having watched the film version involving Richard Burton and John Hurt. It remains a classic novel that deserves to be considered as one of the best written in the English language.

D

Deleted 60082

I really do think our young people will be the ones leading the kickback against it all, as you get older opinions and views change. Everyone is a bit right on and like to rail against the man when they're young but once you have a mortgage and kids then your views change. Mine certainly did. They will be the same, they will start to question things and then impart to their kids. My kids are either gone from the house or will be in a few years and I really do think the younger generation get much maligned and are really a hell of a lot smarter than a lot of us in our middle aged years give them credit for. They are certainly a lot more savvy than I was at their age, back then the news was Trevor McDonald telling you what happened followed by a slightly funny story like a water skiing squirrel or something. Now they are bombarded from all sides and yet I still see lots of analysing whats being said and coming to their own conclusions. And sticking to them too. If someone told me twenty years ago that in 2019 Police Officers would be calling up people and telling them to "check their thinking" I would have found that beyond belief. In another twenty or thirty what are we going to be able to be arrested or questioned for ??

Double plus good posting. It is beyond fathoming why a teacher wouldn’t recommend Orwell’s Nineteeneightyfour. It’s a book I too re-read every couple of years and would be my choice to take on Desert Island Discs (if only to cheer me up). *

My kids (20, 14) have traveled widely and are voracious readers - they too, are critical thinkers. My son, reading PPE at a good university, derides safe spaces and triggering My daughter - a county standard full bore shot and an enthusiastic CCF army cadet - is an ardent feminist and environmentalist. Nonetheless, she like my son, would rail against state control of thought. I’ve shared the DM story and they both agreed that this was police over-reaction, but my daughter did wonder why anyone would want to post/retweet/like so many times a crap poem about trannies.

* I read it at school in equivalent of Lower 6th. It wasn’t in my son’s syllabus and probably won’t be in my daughter’s.

One of the reasons the Allies defeated the Germans in the summer and autumn of 1918 was the increased accuracy of the artillery. Try fighting any land battle where your opponent has an advantage in good quality artillery.
OK being serious 'plank' is the insult of choice. And totally undeserved of course.
It seems slightly ironic to me that in a thread about the thought police I'm being castigated for making a small joke about the RA. Proof that we all have our selective intolerances, but are not happy to have the intolerances of others imposed upon us.

Varrich

Swinger
Double plus good posting. It is beyond fathoming why a teacher wouldn’t recommend Orwell’s Nineteeneightyfour. It’s a book I too re-read every couple of years and would be my choice to take on Desert Island Discs (if only to cheer me up). *

My kids (20, 14) have traveled widely and are voracious readers - they too, are critical thinkers. My son, reading PPE at a good university, derides safe spaces and triggering My daughter - a county standard full bore shot and an enthusiastic CCF army cadet - is an ardent feminist and environmentalist. Nonetheless, she like my son, would rail against state control of thought. I’ve shared the DM story and they both agreed that this was police over-reaction, but my daughter did wonder why anyone would want to post/retweet/like so many times a crap poem about trannies.

* I read it at school in equivalent of Lower 6th. It wasn’t in my son’s syllabus and probably won’t be in my daughter’s.
Junior said it was a case of the Teacher saying he couldn't recommend it rather then he wouldn't, my lad is very keen on being a writer and this teacher has been brilliant in encouraging and being constructive with his efforts so far. More a case of the teacher perhaps been worried about being seen to recommend it ?? .. From what my lad said it was a case of "you should check this book out, not that I'm recommending it like"

Heartily agree abut 1984, its a book everyone should read more then once, especially the younger generation. My son was so taken with it and his further readings on Orwell that I bought my lad a set of framed Orwell quotes for Christmas and he has them pride of place on his room.

Varrich

Swinger
Seriously? It was a mandatory staple of English classes when I was at school.

How times change.

And for the record, I re-read it not all that long ago, as well as having watched the film version involving Richard Burton and John Hurt. It remains a classic novel that deserves to be considered as one of the best written in the English language.
Apparently now its not recommended reading here in Scotland, maybe bad wording on my part there as it was more a case of the teacher telling him he should check it out but you never had it recommended from me. I don't suppose its the type of the book the largely left wing teaching fraternity want read by the young.

It seems slightly ironic to me that in a thread about the thought police I'm being castigated for making a small joke about the RA. Proof that we all have our selective intolerances, but are not happy to have the intolerances of others imposed upon us.
I didn't realise I was castigating you.

I can't be arrsed to read the whole thread but it seems to me that modern day policing whereby one informs on one neighbors [or the modern communicative techno equivalent] is no better than the methods employed buy the likes of the communist machinery in Easter Europe of yesteryear. Root and branch revision of the laws governing how policing is conducted is needed so as to protect the majority against easily offended, vociferous minorities with regards to free speech. It really is the tail wagging the dog./

I can't be arrsed to read the whole thread but it seems to me that modern day policing whereby one informs on one neighbors [or the modern communicative techno equivalent] is no better than the methods employed buy the likes of the communist machinery in Easter Europe of yesteryear. Root and branch revision of the laws governing how policing is conducted is needed so as to protect the majority against easily offended, vociferous minorities with regards to free speech. It really is the tail wagging the dog./
Older than Eastern Europe. Block wardens and neighbourhood informants have been around at least since the French Revolution.

The very French history of the word surveillance.

Latest Threads