thought police at Oxford

Oxford students suspended over sexist emails
Times Online and agencies

Fifteen students at an Oxford college have been suspended pending an investigation in to claims that members of a drinking society sent a series of sexist emails.

The male students, all thought to be members of the Penguin Club at Hertford College, drew up a "list of fitties" which graded female students, it has been alleged.

Comments and derogatory descriptions were attributed to photos of the young women, which included "only if we're desperate" or "buy condoms".

The emails came to light after an anonymous whistleblower posted them on college notice boards overnight.

They also revealed the club's initiation rituals, which include forcing new recruits to perform a naked streak smeared in goose fat and eat raw squid.

It is understood members of the club, which was formed last year, wear maroon ties with gold penguin logos.

A university spokesman said: “We take these allegations, and that’s all they are at this stage, very seriously and the matter is currently under investigation.

“The students have been temporarily suspended as part of that process but that is not to say that it is a punishment or a judgment against them at this stage.

“It’s part of the process of the investigation. We are still trying to get to the bottom of it all.”

He added that concerns were raised about the behaviour of the Penguin Club members before the emails surfaced.

The college’s notable alumni include former home secretary Jacqui Smith, newsreaders Natasha Kaplinsky and Fiona Bruce, and author Evelyn Waugh.

In a stern letter, the college Dean said students should "reflect on the privilege of College membership and focus on the main purpose of being at Oxford.”

Horrific to think that men are allowed to be attracted to women nowadays isn't it.

According to NuLabour only homosexual relationships are allowed.

:roll:

Oh dear. This is a truly sad reflection of the abysmal standards of our brightest and best educated youths? Have they learned nothing about acceptable conduct. I mean, e-mail - asking for trouble.

The Daily Mail (I know) suggests it wasn't the lists themselves but the discovery that the students were inviting a number of 17-18 year old, A-level girls from a nearby school, with the intention of getting them very drunk and having sex. Fatal flaw in the plan was a number of the girls being daughters of the College staff.

codbutt said:
It is understood members of the club, which was formed last year, wear maroon ties with gold penguin logos.
Dunno about thought police, someone wants to call the fashion police 8O

ninja-lewis said:
The Daily Mail (I know) suggests it wasn't the lists themselves but the discovery that the students were inviting a number of 17-18 year old, A-level girls from a nearby school, with the intention of getting them very drunk and having sex. Fatal flaw in the plan was a number of the girls being daughters of the College staff.
in which case probably a good idea to educate these boys about the possible consequences of such actions - for their sakes as well as the potential victims'
Difficult to believe so called "educated" people would be so stupid in this day and age

Student drinking club? Fcuk off. What are they going to do next? Pi$s on a war memorial?

Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
in which case probably a good idea to educate these boys about the possible consequences of such actions - for their sakes as well as the potential victims'
Difficult to believe so called "educated" people would be so stupid in this day and age
What STDs? A hangover?

Last time I checked drinking and f*cking was still legal.

mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
What STDs? A hangover?

errrrmmmmmmmmm possible rape allegations???????????

Poppy said:
mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
What STDs? A hangover?

That can happen anywhere, any night , to any bloke out on the p1ss who shags a drunk bird, it won't stop me and I'm sure it won't stop others.

Why are these girls anymore likely to make allegations than any others, or are you just being a bit prudish?

mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
What STDs? A hangover?

That can happen anywhere, any night , to any bloke out on the p1ss who shags a drunk bird, it won't stop me and I'm sure it won't stop others.

Why are these girls anymore likely to make allegations than any others, or are you just being a bit prudish?
not ready the story but just making comment on what is posted here - if anyone is going out with intention of getting young girls sloshed then having sex they need to be aware of the possible consequences- no comment on liklihood of girls in this neighbourhood being any more likely to make allegations then anywhere else

mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
What STDs? A hangover?

It is being implied that the list was a rape-list. Very much on the seedy side of shagging drunk birds v premeditated rape.

ninja-lewis said:
mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
mark1234 said:
Poppy said:
ninja-lewis said:
What STDs? A hangover?

It is being implied that the list was a rape-list. Very much on the seedy side of shagging drunk birds v premeditated rape.
It must be a slow news day over there.

When you have hormonal little rich boys being sent down for being plonkers, it does make you wonder as to the quality of entrants in higher education! Quite apart from academia, Uni is about life skills, something it would appear this bunch of morons lack. They should have invested in a blow up doll, its low maintanence, passive, and won't cost them an arm and a leg in beverage bills. Obviously they lacked the intelligence to think outside the box! I do so hope none of the male runts were studying medicine with a view to gynecology!

If the powers that be do want to pursue the case, they may have good grounds in terms of premeditation. I can imagine this bunch come from 'good homes' lol, so the daddies would have the money to bail their boys out! The way the world is they will in all likelyhood get away with it, after all no crime was committed.....and well, boys will be boys! :roll:

I'm wondering if this bunch were planning on hunting in a pack? I'd love to see a good prosecutor get their teeth into that one.

'They should have invested in a blow up doll, its low maintanence, passive, and won't cost them an arm and a leg in beverage bills.' - You seem to know a lot about this subject, do you have a puncture kit to go with it?

Perhaps I could give a few words of advice on this matter (and it'll be better than you get from the duty solicitor should you be lifted for s1 Rape as a result of this sort of thing).

There's a difference between mutually consensual drunken sex, and apparently publishing a list of people that are fit and you want to get them drunk, presumably in the hope of having sex with them.

Now if you're stupid enough to put it on a list and send it around, you're probably stupid enough to put it on facebook or something similar. Now when the youg lady sees that (or more likely when she sees her parents see that ), what do you think is going to happen?

Regardless of what happened at the time, the thought process is liable to run thus; "God, I didn't do that did I? I wouldn't have done that would I? I didn't do that, I must have been drunk or drugged to do that." And assuming you can find a nick that's open or any CID left, a rape'll be called in.

Now after arrest (with the charming collection of forensic samples from your old boy), there'll be a bit of explaining to do.

Firstly, self inflicted intoxication is no defence to a persons actions.

Secondly, consent is taken to many having the capacity and the will to choose to do something. In R v Bree it was taken that capacity to consent can be missing even prior to loss of consciousness. So if you're the one who's got a girl lashed up, you're gonna have a rather difficult time in interview.

Thirdly, s 75 of the Sexual Offences Act establishes evidential conclusions about consent. The effect is that should one apply at the time of sex, it reverses the burden of proof of consent. That means, you the defendant have to prove what reasonable steps you took to establish consent.

(a) any person was, at the time of the relevant act or immediately before it began, using violence against the complainant or causing the complainant to fear that immediate violence would be used against him;
(b) any person was, at the time of the relevant act or immediately before it began, causing the complainant to fear that violence was being used, or that immediate violence would be used, against another person;
(c) the complainant was, and the defendant was not, unlawfully detained at the time of the relevant act;
(d) the complainant was asleep or otherwise unconscious at the time of the relevant act;
(e) because of the complainant’s physical disability, the complainant would not have been able at the time of the relevant act to communicate to the defendant whether the complainant consented;
(f) any person had administered to or caused to be taken by the complainant, without the complainant’s consent, a substance which, having regard to when it was administered or taken, was capable of causing or enabling the complainant to be stupefied or overpowered at the time of the relevant act.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030042_en_5#pt1-pb20-l1g76

I suggest plying someone with drinks (especially if they are younger than you, physically less able to handle drink and less used to it's effects-and that's what the prosecution barrister would say) would trigger this presumption.

Fourthly, I would suggest that a chap needs to be careful about even turning up to this sort of thing as it would only take an imaginative DC to shut the whole thing down by turning up and lifting a chap (should there be reasonable suspicion, etc) under s61 Sexual Offences Act 2003

61 Administering a substance with intent
(1) A person commits an offence if he intentionally administers a substance to, or causes a substance to be taken by, another person (B)—
(a) knowing that B does not consent, and
(b) with the intention of stupefying or overpowering B, so as to enable any person to engage in a sexual activity that involves B.
(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—
(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;
(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years.

I know that I'm a killjoy, but follow some simple rules, behave decently and you'll avoid a embarrassing trip down custody (or worse the Crown Court) and you'll also save me more bother sweeping up the remains of Saturday night when I'm on shift on Sunday morning.

I've enough problems with those stupid “all you can drink nights” in clubs already, thank you.

(Declaration of interest; I'm a plod. Yes, I do know that some women lie and regret turns into rape. Avoid the loonies, and predatory sharking/shagging like that isn't cool and can quickly become highly suspect)

codbutt said:
“It’s part of the process of the investigation. We are still trying to get to the bottom of it all.”
Smacks(!) of hypocrisy to me. Surely, that's exactly what these poor innocent lads were doing?

You are most definately not a killjoy Needle Point. I hope people heed the information you have posted, as it may serve to give some here food for thought!

I work with youth, so like yourself I have a vested interest, and the usual excuses that hormonal males make to me in an attempt to wriggle their way out of an 'incident' and be placed on a programme to appease the court do not wash!

Personally I always insist on a video consent "form" being completed, with a paper version in triplicate with five witnesses' signatures. I then routinely invite witnesses to watch the actual sex act. Finally I require a "declaration" once again on video from the woman.

Frankly the wife is getting a little annoyed but as I always explain, these days I cannot be too careful...

Latest Threads