Those strange yellow viewing devices

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by hong_kong_fuey, Nov 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are those yellow viewing devices, on tripods, that civil engineers/architects use on the street from time to time. And what is the function of these devices? I know, it's a bone question. :oops:
  2. They called Theodolites. Functionwise, haven't got a clue !!!!!
  3. Cheers, saintstone.

According to that great bastion of impartiality and objectivity, Wiki:

"A theodolite is an instrument for measuring both horizontal and vertical angles, as used in triangulation networks. It is a key tool in surveying and engineering work, but theodolites have been adapted for other specialized purposes in fields like meteorology and rocket launch technology. A modern theodolite consists of a telescope mounted movably within two perpendicular axes, the horizontal or trunnion axis, and the vertical axis. When the telescope is pointed at a desired object, the angle of each of these axes can be measured with great precision, typically on the scale of arcseconds."

You learn something new everyday.
  4. Very droll. You couldn't resist it could you, Knocker? That twisted sense of humour will get you in trouble with the PC fascists, you know. :twisted:
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You would probably get more info on these in the Gunners forum.

Theodolites, or directors as they were also know were used extensively before GPS came into general use. Each Battery had a Survey Sgt who would use a director for laying on the Guns. There was also a dedicated Survey Troop based at RSA Larkhill, although I believe that nowadays they are laid up and largely defunct, with the associated knowledge of their use rapidly dissappearing.
  6. no. :D :D :D :D

i know but who gives a feck. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  7. THEODOLITE, not THALIDOMIDE, but what do you expect from a wedgehead, but very funny though.
  8. i don't think so fella, it is a proper trade within the corps. :x :wink: :x :wink:
  9. (My bold). Where have I heard that before?
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I meant more as in further info, not better Knocker!

It used to be a proper trade with us as well but is now saddly disappearing.

All hail GPS, and let's hope that the satellites are never switched off!
  11. I think you'll find every field regiment in the artillery had a dedicated survey troop. That was the case up to the late 1980s, but I'm not too sure of the state of play today.
  12. It still is a proper trade within the corp and despite the introduction of GPS theodolites are still used by surveyors of the corp.
  13. I thought this guy was SASC!
    Small Arms etc etc
  14. i can see & like your train of thought. :D :D :D :D