Those peers and their Champagne Eh!

Meanwhile, while the debate about starving Airmen and Women based in Akrotiri getting stale cheese sandwiches to sustain them while keeping aircraft operational to conduct flights over hostile places rages on, in another place, namely the House of Lords, Their Lordships are refusing to combine their catering facilities with the House of Commons catering bit because they are worried that the quality of the champagne will nosedive!

You really couldn't make it up. Here's the report from the Guardian. Excellent timing my Lords!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/07/champagne-house-of-lords-reform-taxpayer

Give em cheese sandwiches I say! :)

Last edited:
I never thought that I would agree with Peter Hain but it does make a compelling case for reform. 780 of them. A cull is required.

This can't be true, we are all in it together.

Wets.

Jeeze, here we are all tightening our belts, interest rates at rock bottom, pensions a pittance and all the gold plated snouts-in-the-trough are worried about is their catering.

Reform is needed now.

Apparently, you have to get massively obese, shag your secretary, have lousy accounting skills and a selective memory, be an ex-Politician or a multi-millionaire with money available to donate to the party of your choice, or be a pervert. Perm any one or two from those and you have a chance. What you absolutely can't be to join the club is an ordinary member of the great unwashed. Oh no.
Bunch of cnuts the lot of them.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Apparently, you have to get massively obese, shag your secretary, have lousy accounting skills and a selective memory, be an ex-Politician or a multi-millionaire with money available to donate to the party of your choice, or be a pervert. Perm any one or two from those and you have a chance. What you absolutely can't be to join the club is an ordinary member of the great unwashed. Oh no.
Bunch of cnuts the lot of them.
Sounds a tough selection criteria.

Sounds a tough selection criteria.

For those with the right "qualifications" and "connections", it's about as tough as moving from one cosy executive post to another within the Public sector, even if you are totally inept or have dropped a major bollock or two along the way. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
For those with the right "qualifications" and "connections", it's about as tough as moving from one cosy executive post to another within the Public sector, even if you are totally inept or have dropped a major bollock or two along the way. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!
See I'm normally pretty good at my job but I fancy one where I can be truly shite, get drunk, not turn up and still do ok

Before you all get annoyed with the toffs remember the house of lords has been "reformed" and only 92 Hereditary peers are still there. These were elected from all the eligible hereditary peers. The 92 are the only people democratically elected to the Lords. The other 696 are all political appointees who have clawed their way up the greasy pole of self interest.

It takes a generation or two to develop noblesse oblige. As they are all life peers this will never happen which has greatly diminished the House Of Lords.

The UK is a modern inclusive society, so No go away!

The HoL conducts numerous social, diplomatic and cultural receptions each year. I've been to one.

They are not drinking it all themselves. I got the choice of white or red wine at Port Cullus House. It was frightful.

The Lords have a point.