Those In Peril Upon The Sea

I presume whatever distress process they went through was partially successful: all the photos we have have come from the SAR asset.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I presume whatever distress process they went through was partially successful: all the photos we have have come from the SAR asset.
I don't know the time frame from the urgency call (if any,) or the distress call until the first arrival of assistance, but it would seem sensible to transmit to any local assets as well as a centralised, automated rebro system.

Still, at least GMDSS saves the shipping companies a bit of money to rescue them from almost certain bankruptcy.

This incident reminds me of the loss of the DB29 in 1991, same area similar circumstances:

Ship lost to fire at Dubai docks.

"Fourteen crewmembers working aboard the vessel were able to escape the fire but failed in their efforts to extinguish it before it spread to engulf the vessel."

"The vessel and its cargo are reported to be a total loss. Media reports are indicating that the vessel was owned by an Indian business and concerns were being raised because it was the Bhaya family’s second vessel to be destroyed by fire in a matter of days."

Video: Cargo Ship Transporting Cars from Dubai Catches Fire

Iceberg stops cruise: Video: Norwegian Sun Curtails Cruise After Hitting Ice in Alaska

Yesterday I couldn't find the "Fujing 001" because various press had joined two words and made a new name.
Fu Jing 001 was involved in two offshore wind installations prior to it's break up in tropical storm Siamba. Fu Jing 001 is variously described as a construction / engineering vessel and as a floating crane.

Only 3 crew were rescued. 27 are missing. According to FleetMon, thirty crew abandoned the ship in liferafts, though that has not been substantiated as far as I can tell. Indeed, according to newsrnd.com, the The Guangdong Maritime Search and Rescue Center said "the ship has sunk and 27 people fell into the sea and lost contact". The newsrnd article has much more detail about the ship and it's operations. Link below.

According to Dimsum Daily, all of the Government Flying Service SAR aircraft, 6 helicopters and 3 aeroplanes were deployed. The existence of over 100 wind turbines in the incident area is very hazardous for SAR helicopters. A plane reached the scene first but visibility was difficult in the conditions. The first helicopter arrived in "25 to 35 minutes".

Teller Report has an English translation of an article in China Daily which precedes the rescue attempt and details various assets to be involved in the rescue and orders to the ships crew, in regards of life jackets and self rescue.

Resources:

27 crew missing: Typhoon sinks offshore wind vessel in South China Sea | Upstream Online (Headline and first paragraphs only - full article requires subscription)

FU JING 001 (Ship)

Offshore ship sunk by typhoon off Hong Kong, 27 people missing UPDATE

Government Flying Service deploys entire fleet of helicopters and aircraft to participate in rescue operation of missing crew members of doomed engineering vessel - Dimsum Daily

Siamba Typhoon | Guangdong Maritime Search and Rescue Center: 27 people missing

"Fujing 001" was in distress in the waters near Yangjiang | tellerreport.com

Government Flying Service - Aircraft

TractorStats

War Hero
The ship looks like it has been modified at some point in its life into to an engineering support vessel from its original purpose of being either a bulk carrier or oil tanker. It looks to have had a catastrophic failure which gave the crew no chance to deploy life rafts. Its makes me wonder if the modification had either weakened the structural integrity or perhaps they were partly using some of the holds and were not careful about how the load was distributed.

An interesting development in offshore rescue. A system to track and recover multiple people from the water, the article says in all weather conditions, I shall reserve judgement on that point but a step in the right direction perhaps.

News: Zelim successfully completes trials of its sea rescue system
Interesting. My first thought was perhaps using similar techniques to OSCAR OSCAR Navigation > smart vision safe navigation Zelim uses the FLIR M364. The camera can use ClearCruise to present AIS and other overlays, which is quite smart. The Zelim system's AI presumably adds object recognition.

Marine Thermal Cameras with Active Gyro-Stabilization
M364 | Teledyne FLIR

There seems to be a lot of activity in this area. From Australian Government Defence News:

Potential of Ai to save lives at sea put to the test
An artificial intelligence (Ai) project run by Defence personnel in search-and-rescue (SAR) trials has the potential to save lives. The project, dubbed Ai-Search, aims to apply modern Ai to help detect small and difficult-to-spot targets, such as life rafts and individual survivors.
https://news.defence.gov.au/technology/potential-ai-save-lives-sea-put-test

Ship lost to fire at Dubai docks.

"Fourteen crewmembers working aboard the vessel were able to escape the fire but failed in their efforts to extinguish it before it spread to engulf the vessel."

"The vessel and its cargo are reported to be a total loss. Media reports are indicating that the vessel was owned by an Indian business and concerns were being raised because it was the Bhaya family’s second vessel to be destroyed by fire in a matter of days."

Video: Cargo Ship Transporting Cars from Dubai Catches Fire

Iceberg stops cruise: Video: Norwegian Sun Curtails Cruise After Hitting Ice in Alaska
Those things are designed to burn - all wood construction dressed with fish oil as anyone who has ever been downwind of one will attest. They are the lifeblood of the Gulf and Arabian Sea though.

Those things are designed to burn - all wood construction dressed with fish oil as anyone who has ever been downwind of one will attest. They are the lifeblood of the Gulf and Arabian Sea though.
Imagine my joy at boarding and clearing them, day in, day out, for six months.

Genuinely some of my most enjoyable time in the RN!

Imagine my joy at boarding and clearing them, day in, day out, for six months.

Genuinely some of my most enjoyable time in the RN!

An agent tried to get me to hire a former dhow AB as a watchkeeper. He seemed to think that being shipwrecked 9 times was a strong selling point.

80 years ago, at 2136 0n 4th July 1942:

Pound now believed the worst—Tirpitz was at sea, streaking right for PQ-17. If that was the case, the convoy would have to scatter. Based on wholly negative evidence, Pound overruled his men in London and at sea. At 9:11 pm, he signaled, “Most immediate. Cruiser force withdraw westward at high speed.” At 9:23, he signaled, “Immediate. Owing to threat from surface ships, convoy is to disperse and proceed to Russian ports.” Then at 9:36: “Most immediate … Convoy is to scatter.”

Any professional opinions on this evening's incident?

This just popped up on my Linkedin feed:

Jordanian Chemical Process Safety Engineers Society
Jordanian Chemical Process Safety Engineers Society2,853 followers1w • 1 week ago

Follow

On July, 3rd, 22, the head of the #Aqaba_Port incident investigation committee, the Interior Minister, held a press conference where he announced the initial findings. The unfortunate #accident resulted in the death of 13 and the injury of more than 250 people, 8 of whom are still receiving medical treatment.
The committee examined the #incident scene, evaluated the status of the lifting equipment, and inspected the lifting slings to verify their durability and specs. Additionally, the committee interviewed more than 120 concerned individuals, reviewed the available container’s handling procedures, assessed the #competency of employees, and evaluated the level of compliance with safety standards and procedures, especially those concerned with the handling of #hazardous_chemicals.
The primary accident cause was identified to be the use of improper lifting slings designed for 8.6 tons load, while the actual lift (the #chlorine container) weighed 28.9 tons; i.e. about 3 times the sling design load, which eventually led to the sling failure. A total of 18 containers were supposed to be loaded onto the freighter, while the failure occurred during the loading of the fifth container. Noting that this is the second time lane 4 is used to transport such containers.
Other contributing factors identified were the deficiency and noncompliance with the #safety_procedures concerning the handling of hazardous chemicals, poor and informal #hazard_communication practices, lack of #training and competencies, unavailability of #safety_officers during hazardous operations, improper follow-up of daily #operations and #maintenance reports, poor #leadership, and unclear #roles_and_responsibilities. Noting that several of the interviewed concerned personnel stated that they were not aware of the weight nor the content of the containers. Moreover, a clear administrative slack and negligence were noted, where over 713 laborers were employed since 2016 without need, increasing the number of employees to over 2,300, which formed a considerable burden on the company.
It is worth mentioning that a report prepared by the Social Security Corporation about two months before the accident underlined major weaknesses in the safety conditions, and that some lifting equipment panels were out of service and required maintenance.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Environment, Royal Scientific Society, and the Civil Defence Department have carried out several air and water analyses to ensure that there is no chlorine contamination. On the other hand, the damaged container was safely transported to the hazardous waste storage facility (Swaqa).
The investigation committee press conference (in Arabic) on the below link:
وزيرا الداخلية والدولة لشؤون الإعلام يعلنان نتائج التحقيق في حادثة العقبة

F6 1.jpg

F6 3.jpg

This just popped up on my Linkedin feed:

Jordanian Chemical Process Safety Engineers Society
Jordanian Chemical Process Safety Engineers Society2,853 followers1w • 1 week ago
Follow

On July, 3rd, 22, the head of the #Aqaba_Port incident investigation committee, the Interior Minister, held a press conference where he announced the initial findings. The unfortunate #accident resulted in the death of 13 and the injury of more than 250 people, 8 of whom are still receiving medical treatment......

The primary accident cause was identified to be the use of improper lifting slings designed for 8.6 tons load, while the actual lift (the #chlorine container) weighed 28.9 tons;.......

Noting that several of the interviewed concerned personnel stated that they were not aware of the weight nor the content of the containers....

View attachment 679427

Quick work on the investigation.

Do the remains of the slings look like hand made splices?

And "not aware of weight or contents", I thought both should be marked on the tank?

Quick work on the investigation.

Do the remains of the slings look like hand made splices?

And "not aware of weight or contents", I thought both should be marked on the tank?

They do look like they may have been hand made but note the splice did not fail it seems to be the sling which has parted. Weight and contents should be marked on the tank but incorrect reporting of both weight and contents is not uncommon

Latest Threads