Those In Peril Upon The Sea

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
To be fair, how many shells worth would that be all being released in one spot? How long would it take a battery to deliver that much?

I was referring to the lack of opportunity for the poor unfortunates in this instance.
Even if they had had access to any sort of respiratory protective equipment, they would never have had time to don it.

I worked for a major chlorine & bromine manufacturer for 10 years.

Chlorine is very nasty in all forms.
  • It boils at -34°C, which means that it can literally freeze the balls off anything it touches.
  • At 20°C it has a pressure of ~6 bar.
  • It's a very strong oxidizing agent - things will burn in it rapidly. Really, really bad in contact with aluminium, magnesium etc.
  • It's heavier than air and so collects in pits and trenches
  • >5 ppm will cause irritation to windpipe and lungs
  • 30-50ppm will cause severe pulmonary oedema (lungs will fill with mucous)
  • 400ppm will kill you in 30 minutes
  • >1000ppm will kill in 2-3 minutes
My very late grandfather was gassed with Chlorine at Ypres. His lungs were badly damaged and he died at age 38 from lung issues.

It's not a good way to go.

Chlorine is also an olifactory desensitizer. I walked into several arena plant rooms over my 23 years in business, where the smell of Chorine was minging. The attendants couldn’t smell it.

Three people died a while back in Fernie BC during (allegedly overdue) servicing of an arena Chlorine system.

HSF

LE
It hangs arround for a long time in the ground.I beleive there are still fome forrest areas in "flanders" which are closed as the stuff still leaches out of the groubnd?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Chlorine is also an olifactory desensitizer. I walked into several arena plant rooms over my 23 years in business, where the smell of Chorine was minging. The attendants couldn’t smell it.

Three people died a while back in Fernie BC during (allegedly overdue) servicing of an arena Chlorine system.
I can smell the damned stuff at <1ppm. Same with bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

Years of being on plants where smelling the stuff meant you had a leak somewhere.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting. You are fortunate to have that gift.
Not really. There were some people on the plant who could smell the stuff before me, but it would barely register on a Draeger tube.

There are other smells that don't really register for me but other people can smell them strongly.

Being stood next to 30 tonnes of mixed chlorine & bromine boiling away and at 12 bars pressure tends to sharpen the mind in regards to safety!

I can smell the damned stuff at <1ppm. Same with bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

Years of being on plants where smelling the stuff meant you had a leak somewhere.

Same here. Made me feel very sick once in a water treatment plant. Personal detector was IIRC alarm at 3ppm and not sounding, so it was less than that.

While looking at a different story, this appeared. Nasty.
1656777441833.png

1656777472760.png

The origin or name of the ship has not yet been divulged, however, crew were contending with a fierce storm at the time of the wreck.

Tropical storm Chaba had unleashed winds of 110km/h (68mph) making it very difficult to navigate for the crew.

The three rescued workers said their fellow crew may have been swept away by waves before the first helicopter arrived on scene.

Massive rescue operation as ship breaks in TWO in South China Sea - two dozen feared dead

View attachment 674451
View attachment 674452
The origin or name of the ship has not yet been divulged, however, crew were contending with a fierce storm at the time of the wreck.

Tropical storm Chaba had unleashed winds of 110km/h (68mph) making it very difficult to navigate for the crew.

The three rescued workers said their fellow crew may have been swept away by waves before the first helicopter arrived on scene.

Massive rescue operation as ship breaks in TWO in South China Sea - two dozen feared dead
RIP poor sods

View attachment 674451
View attachment 674452

A drill ship?

EDIT

Maybe not.

The blue mast thing doesn't seem big enough compared to these.

Chap in the video was very lucky to get off, but given the number of casualties, a bit odd that the lifeboat wan't used.

Chap in the video was very lucky to get off, but given the number of casualties, a bit odd that the lifeboat wan't used.
Lifeboats are a slow way to get off. You have to go through a lot of steps and the ship has to be pretty upright and not banging about. I personally, in a situation like that, would ditch all the liferafts i could overboard and go for one of them. Plus they probably didn't have the most robust lifeboat drills.......

DK27

Old-Salt
Serious question. Under GMDSS and the fact that Radio Officers/Operators are no longer carried and the Likes of Lands End Radio have been long gone. Who monitors 2182 or would be calling on there be pointless?

endure

GCM
Serious question. Under GMDSS and the fact that Radio Officers/Operators are no longer carried and the Likes of Lands End Radio have been long gone. Who monitors 2182 or would be calling on there be pointless?
You're about 30 years too late. Never mind GMDSS will solve all our maritime distress problems :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DK27

Old-Salt
GMDSS - your nearest satellite
500 kHz - any ship within 100 miles
Sorry, looking at your clock with the silence periods makes me all nostalgic. Satcom is good but can fail. If you are in the poo you want to be able to call for help on as many channels as you can. If that means CH16 on a handheld and it saves lives so be it. But technology moves on. I Just wonder when NAVTEXT is going to be binned?