Those In Peril Upon The Sea

NSP

LE
Double edged sword here. I've seen the devastation caused by bottom trawlers - nothing but flat, featureless sand/mud as far as the eye can see.
You should see what the twats do when they ignore the nice lines on their charts indicating the presence of a pipeline...

You'd be amazed/aghast at what a wooden otter board can do to a concrete-weightcoated 36" pipeline.

NSP

LE
Whenever I see the word 'Greenpeace' I automatically think 'Brent Spar'.

They told lies then and they don't seem to have changed much over the years.
They're just another bunch of hypocritical, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou oxygen-stealing thunderc***s. When I'm having fifty flips and want a quick finish I don't replay memorable shags or fantasy shags in my head; I replay watching a couple of the twats try to board us from their Zodiac on the West of Shetland stuff and get a fully charged firehose turned on them by the ABs, and the graceful arc described by the dumb knucklehead who decided it was sensible to stand up and shake his fist at us in a small dinghy on what was basically the Atlantic Ocean when he was struck square on the sternum by the jet. One way to get salt in his beard, I s'pose.

I expect they all drove down to the docks in a knackered Volvo 240 estate trailing a plume of smoke behind it, too. Having come from houses on mains electricity and water and lacking loft insulation, too.

If they drop these massive boulders in the shallower parts of the choke point of the Straits then there's a good chance that they could see the bottom being ripped out of a fully-laden tanker or a container ship. They are effectively reducing the charted depth without informing the HO so that notices and chart updates can be issued and are wilfully hazarding navigation. Why is the vessel not being ordered to port and the captain hauled into court, jaiuled and stripped of his master's ticket thus ending his career? A message needs to be sent: you command a vessel and the charterer's/owners bods break the law and you allow it then you are paying for it, captain.

Besides, in my experience of dealing with their "fleet" the offshore worksite is pollution-free until the Rainbow ****** turns up. Then the water is bright with the trails of leaked oil products and the air thick with smuts from their stack.

Vlad had the right idea when they interfered with one of his drillships: forcibly detain them, take them into the nearest Russian port and then stick them in the dock before jailing the fuckers for a long time.

Although at the time my then captain, a Ukrainian ex-Black Sea Fleet driver, expressed a determination to be more direct and efficient: "Huh. If those idiots hang their tent from my anchor then the order is, 'Bo'sun! Make ready to drop anchor!'"

youre right - where do we prosecute the fishermen for all working on deck and having no-one in the wheelhouse driving?

IIRC they bottom trawl up towards the broad 14s, not in the straight.

Diko

Old-Salt
Christmas Day 1954, just as we were about to open our presents an RAF policeman knocked on the door and asked Dad to report to flight at RAF Wildenrath. A Dutch ship was caught in a terrible storm in the English Channel with no power and Dad was needed to search and find this vessel. He flew the Anson with a Flt lieutenant as nav, found the ship and circled till tugs arrived. For this he was awarded the AFM and we went to London on March 3rd 1955 for the presentation by HM The Queen. Here we are outside the palace.

Attachments

• DA0C5BE3-2AEF-4967-AB45-536D3EF6B34D.jpeg
    DA0C5BE3-2AEF-4967-AB45-536D3EF6B34D.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 62
You should see what the twats do when they ignore the nice lines on their charts indicating the presence of a pipeline...

You'd be amazed/aghast at what a wooden otter board can do to a concrete-weightcoated 36" pipeline.
The otter boards, or trawl doors as they are sometimes called, are mostly made of steel now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
‘catching’ a boat at the end of the season was a very lucrative business.

’honest! Those was my bestest new nets I’d cast’

became a tad more risky when nukillers came along and could tow you under.

There's allegedly areas of Orkney where you are highly likely of snagging old ordnance which requires disposal.

Obviously it's a bit risky to disentangle the nets from said devices in situ. As such net and ordnance is detached from the fishing boat and either destroyed as is or the nets cut to gain access.

Either way, the end result is the same.

There's allegedly areas of Orkney where you are highly likely of snagging old ordnance which requires disposal.

Obviously it's a bit risky to disentangle the nets from said devices in situ. As such net and ordnance is detached from the fishing boat and either destroyed as is or the nets cut to gain access.

Either way, the end result is the same.
I did work on trawlers in my youth. We brought up a torpedo of the west coast of Scotland once. It was aboard by the time we realised what it was. We were told to secure it, and keep it wet. bring it close to shore, but not into harbour. EOD then came and sorted it.

NSP

LE
youre right - where do we prosecute the fishermen for all working on deck and having no-one in the wheelhouse driving?

IIRC they bottom trawl up towards the broad 14s, not in the straight.
I think they'd struggle to find room to trawl through the straits but Ringpiece are not known for stopping to think these things through, as a rule.

Rab_C

LE
Here:

It seems of the 2 prosecutions involving f/v's in 2020 the same ship was involved in both!
I see one of the charges was not having AIS on. The wind farm project I am involved in at the moment is on Dogger Bank non of the fockers has their AIS on. We’ve paid compensation and issued notices to mariners to keep them clear, but do they? I don’t agree with what Greenpeace are doing but the fishermen aren’t little angels.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
The otter boards, or trawl doors as they are sometimes called, are mostly made of steel now.
Yes, I know - that was the point of highlighting the mess a wooden one can make (I've been on jobs where the board is present and clearly wooden - presumably having been cut free 'cos it snagged instead of bouncing over). Imagine, then, when they clout something with one somewhat less forgiving in structure...?!!!

NSP

LE
I see one of the charges was not having AIS on. The wind farm project I am involved in at the moment is on Dogger Bank non of the fockers has their AIS on. We’ve paid compensation and issued notices to mariners to keep them clear, but do they? I don’t agree with what Greenpeace are doing but the fishermen aren’t little angles.
That was the one advantage of that ex-Qinetiq trimaran testbed thing Gardline had for a time - because the terms stopped them repainting it it would bowl along painted grey and warship-looking and be assumed to be the patrol, thus seeing trawlers scattering to the the cardinal points before us. None of this breaking off line, going around and restarting malarkey. Coming down from Orkney to G. Yarmouth at 23kts was quite fun, too. Otherwise, it was entirely crap and not suited to task at all.

Only topped a couple of years ago when I went to Jersey from Poole and did 40kts all the way...!

I see one of the charges was not having AIS on. The wind farm project I am involved in at the moment is on Dogger Bank non of the fockers has their AIS on. We’ve paid compensation and issued notices to mariners to keep them clear, but do they? I don’t agree with what Greenpeace are doing but the fishermen aren’t little angles.

I'm not suggesting they are, I have known several occasions over the years where they have been rightly stopped and prosecuted for breaches of the regulations but that is a matter for the courts. It is not for Greenpeace to take their own irresponsible action which could lead to the loss of a vessel and the lives of her crew.

Rab_C

LE
I'm not suggesting they are, I have known several occasions over the years where they have been rightly stopped and prosecuted for breaches of the regulations but that is a matter for the courts. It is not for Greenpeace to take their own irresponsible action which could lead to the loss of a vessel and the lives of her crew.
I totally agree but as this is basically a non maritime site I just wanted to let people know that although the ends do not justify the means the fishermen can be cnuts as well.

Is this an acute case of being obtuse?

I did work on trawlers in my youth. We brought up a torpedo of the west coast of Scotland once. It was aboard by the time we realised what it was. We were told to secure it, and keep it wet. bring it close to shore, but not into harbour. EOD then came and sorted it.
It has been known, on a 'good' fishing day, to lower the snagged munitions back to the seabed, mark the location on the Decca plotter (it was a few years ago) - and continue fishing. On a 'bad' fishing day - return and snag it again and put in a claim for damage to gear and loss of fishing time.

Looking at the videos it seems the boulders being dropped are about one metre in height, what possible threat, among all the other detritus both natural and man made that litters the sea bed, could such boulders pose to shipping?

I know all our hearts swell with pride when we see our Great British fishing fleet and we all hate the Greenies, because well they're Greenies basically, but I happen to think the boulder droppers are on the right side of this argument. If the only way you can make a quick buck is by turning the sea bed into a lifeless, watery Sahara then get a different job.

Looking at the videos it seems the boulders being dropped are about one metre in height, what possible threat, among all the other detritus both natural and man made that litters the sea bed, could such boulders pose to shipping?

I know all our hearts swell with pride when we see our Great British fishing fleet and we all hate the Greenies, because well they're Greenies basically, but I happen to think the boulder droppers are on the right side of this argument. If the only way you can make a quick buck is by turning the sea bed into a lifeless, watery Sahara then get a different job.

What do you think they should be dropping instead of harmless boulders then?