Those In Peril Upon The Sea

Yokel

LE
They shouldn’t be bottom trawling in a marine protected area.

fishermen are generally their own worst enemy: it’s nearly always about their catch today, not the maintenance of stocks for generations to come.

Delete 'fishermen' - insert human beings'.

Fishing really ought to be seen less as a maritime form of hunting and more like farming. To test end, I thought fishing vessels carried equipment to record to longitude and latitude of where they put the nets in the water?

I thought that it was a condition of getting a licence?

Last edited:

WALT

LE
What about the poor little crustaceans minding their own business until a bloody great lump of granite lands on their noggin?

Knowing a few fishermen the good ones will obey the law, the venal ones wouldn’t give a toss as long as they thought they wouldn’t get caught.
They WOULD give a toss about loosing/ ruining 9 or 10 K’s of trawl net on a snag though. Green peace are tosser s but they have the measure of the dodgy dicks on this.
nothing to stop them going long lineing.

Double edged sword here. I've seen the devastation caused by bottom trawlers - nothing but flat, featureless sand/mud as far as the eye can see. In a lot of cases fishermen are their own worst enemy, removing everything from an area. So long as the 'boulder field' is well documented, then there should not be a problem.

An anecdote. In northern Spain is a small fishing port called Estartit. The fishing was in dire straits due to over-fishing up to the current time. This was some 40 years ago. Off the coast are a couple of small islands - the Medas Islands. It was decided.decreed that the islands and (say) 200m around them would become a marine reserve, with a total ban on fishing.

Strangely enough the fishermen went ballistic at losing one of their best sites.

However, after a few years the fish stocks had recovered so much that the entire coastline was being repopulated.

The fishermen were very quick to say how clever and good their idea for regeneration had been......
Thus it has ever been. I read that fish stocks in the North Sea were very depleted at the start of WW1. As the North Sea was basically one of the war zones, fishing was very restricted for the duration. Old fishermen couldn't believe how much fish stocks had regenerated in the few years they got the chance to.

Then surely it is up to the authorities to police the area and stop the fishing not Greenpeace to take independent and illegal action which could result in the loss of a ship and the lives of her crew.
Or they could obey the law?

Still have little to no sympathy I’m afraid.

Many moons ago, when I was still serving as a Sonar Maintainer, in the Submarine School, for some reason (now forgotten) I ended up on a working party with fishermen. I think this was after some fishing boats had allegedly been hit/dragged by submarines. The safety of the fishing boats and crews were deemed important.

The plan was for the fishermen to instigate a routine whereby the would place very basic sonar transponders on their nets, so a boat's sound room team could 'see' them. Little 'pingers' if you will.

Bet none of you have heard about there being sonar transponders on fishing nets.

That's because the fishermen wouldn't go along with the suggestion. I'm 100% with Alf above on this one.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Many moons ago, when I was still serving as a Sonar Maintainer, in the Submarine School, for some reason (now forgotten) I ended up on a working party with fishermen. I think this was after some fishing boats had allegedly been hit/dragged by submarines. The safety of the fishing boats and crews were deemed important.

The plan was for the fishermen to instigate a routine whereby the would place very basic sonar transponders on their nets, so a boat's sound room team could 'see' them. Little 'pingers' if you will.

Bet none of you have heard about there being sonar transponders on fishing nets.

That's because the fishermen wouldn't go along with the suggestion. I'm 100% with Alf above on this one.

‘catching’ a boat at the end of the season was a very lucrative business.

’honest! Those was my bestest new nets I’d cast’

became a tad more risky when nukillers came along and could tow you under.

Rab_C

LE
Had the tree hugging cockwombles dropping the rocks right across the planned path of a wind farm export cable last year. Asked them whether they wanted green energy or not?

I was peripherally involved in an incident several years ago where a fishing vessel disappeared one night. It was initially thought she had been in a collision with a tanker. Investigations on the tanker showed that not to be the case. The fishing vessel was found a few days later sunk with a large boulder such as those being dumped by Greenpeace snagged in her nets. Her 3 crew were dead.

endure

GCM
Whenever I see the word 'Greenpeace' I automatically think 'Brent Spar'.

They told lies then and they don't seem to have changed much over the years.

endure

GCM
trawl.JPG

:mrgreen:

Cost? Privacy?

I'd guess an electronic gadget fixed to a trawl would soon break or fall off. Maybe the fisherman knew that.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I know about them on salmon cages to keep the seals away.

NSP

LE
I wonder at the arrogance and stupidity of these people. They want to save the fish but have no concern for the fishermen. A boulder such as these can capsize a trawler in minutes and kill the crew on board. If that were to happen would the "celebs" named on the rocks care? Probably not.

If they drop these massive boulders in the shallower parts of the choke point of the Straits then there's a good chance that they could see the bottom being ripped out of a fully-laden tanker or a container ship. They are effectively reducing the charted depth without informing the HO so that notices and chart updates can be issued and are wilfully hazarding navigation. Why is the vessel not being ordered to port and the captain hauled into court, jaiuled and stripped of his master's ticket thus ending his career? A message needs to be sent: you command a vessel and the charterer's/owners bods break the law and you allow it then you are paying for it, captain.

Besides, in my experience of dealing with their "fleet" the offshore worksite is pollution-free until the Rainbow ****** turns up. Then the water is bright with the trails of leaked oil products and the air thick with smuts from their stack.

Vlad had the right idea when they interfered with one of his drillships: forcibly detain them, take them into the nearest Russian port and then stick them in the dock before jailing the fuckers for a long time.

Although at the time my then captain, a Ukrainian ex-Black Sea Fleet driver, expressed a determination to be more direct and efficient: "Huh. If those idiots hang their tent from my anchor then the order is, 'Bo'sun! Make ready to drop anchor!'"