Those In Peril Upon The Sea

The RNR manned minesweeper HMS Fittleton sank with the loss of twelve men in 1976 following a collision with the frigate Mermaid.

Went out round Portland bill once in a sea kayak

It was windy when we set off but the waves looked tiny in the distance

Turned out it was the Father Ted effect, they were tiny because they were miles and miles away

Once we were round the race and in huge atlantic rollers it wasn't so funny

And we ended up landing on some beach below some sort of folly that has a very dangerous rip tide

I remember despite having a decent buoyancy aid on being pulled underwater just as thankfully people pulled me out

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Remember when I said I would like to be at sea in a storm, but in a really big boat? I might have changed my mind, having seen the horizon in this video...

Vomit Comet

Remember when I said I would like to be at sea in a storm, but in a really big boat? I might have changed my mind, having seen the horizon in this video...

Vomit Comet
Maiden voyage 2017. It should still be under warranty ;) .

The freighter seems to be in worse trouble :( .

More "footage", details . . .

'We were told mayday mayday!'

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Vomit Comet
I do question the sanity of people who book cruises in places that are known to have honking weather.

It’s like booking a beach holiday in Scotland.

Stick to the med and the Caribbean.

My missus used to sell cruises to the South Atlantic.

Gen, rich people used to pay her a shit ton of money so they could spend a relaxing fortnight in a washing machine, stopping occasionally to see bits of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia.

I got paid to do that shit and it wasn’t enough.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why aren't they in their cabins on their bunks? Why sit around in a place that's full of flying debris?
Easier to account for everyone, make sure they aren’t dead, move them all in a hurry if needs be etc.

Duty of care and all that.

Why aren't they in their cabins on their bunks? Why sit around in a place that's full of flying debris?
If the onboard cinema had been showing Poseidon Adventure there may have been a few trying to make their way to the engine room in readiness for the thing turning turtle....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Much greater chance of injury though.
Not really. If you leave the passengers to their own devices, they’ll inevitably wander round the ship, move shit around and be a danger to themselves.

Seasickness also makes people seek fresh air, which means you’ll get some **** trying to access the upper deck.

All their cabins will have their stuff strewn around, suitcases all over the shop etc.

Stick them all in one place where you can keep track of them and restrict movement. Easier to secure one massive room for sea than a thousand cabins.

Edit: also if and when the time comes to evacuate, everyone is already in one place ready to go and wearing life jackets. If they have to ditch in a hurry it’s fuckloads easier than a few thousand people panicking, running around a ship they don’t know their way round, trying to bring luggage and generally just doing what fuckwits do in situations like that.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Much greater chance of injury though.
That's the fault of the designers and crew.
The first for not ensuring tables are fixed and chairs can be secured, the second for neglecting to make ready for weather.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The RNR manned minesweeper HMS Fittleton sank with the loss of twelve men in 1976 following a collision with the frigate Mermaid.
Commemorated in London Division with a stained glass window. Both the killick bunting and the RS on my first sea fortnight had been aboard when it happened....

If I remember the dits I was told , they were doing a RAS exercise...Fittleton got sucked under the stern of the Mermaid as they broke away.

Last edited:
That's the fault of the designers and crew.
The first for not ensuring tables are fixed and chairs can be secured, the second for neglecting to make ready for weather.

Many years ago when I was a young lad, I remember having a look around the Bergensfjord before she left Swan Hunters on handover to her owners. Every table and chair in the public saloons was bolted to the deck. My father, who was shipwright at the yard, said that was standard practice for passenger ships.

That said, the tables and chairs were weighty pieces made of wood and metal - none of the plastic crap that is much in evidence toady.

Stupidity, a lot of Viking customers are aged Septics.

I've had bigger goffers in my tot.

Of course the fly boys have it rough as well. Imagine you are in the middle of the ocean and no divert.

This one is the RCAF who operate on the Canadian Navy ships. The aim is to get close to the centre of the flight deck and fire in the bear trap (a harpoon that sticks the grid and then you can winch yourself on deck). I take the piss out of the pilots but they are quite good at what they do.
Holy shit ! Now that is hardcore .

^^^^ It does tend to concentrate the mind when you have limited options as to where to land.

Well done to the pilot as I am crap and have managed to crash every simulator I have flown.

I can fly a real Seaking straight and level and carry out turns etc with stabs out but landing and hovering not a chance.

Latest Threads