Those gems that may not be classics, but raise a smile

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by crabby, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite by chance I happened upon "Operation Amsterdam" on film4 today. It is by no means a classic; but I thought some bits were absolutely cracking. I'd forgotten it even existed (is it just me, or did they show more 1950s/60s war films in the early 90s?).

It followed on after "Carrington VC", which was also a reasonably good film, if less blowing shyte up.

So, what other little gems are out there, waiting to be re-watched? I own most I've remembered on DVD, because I'm a sad and lonely individual, but there's always more than one to miss, or that hasn't been released on DVD.

2. What Crabby said.

Saw Tunes of Glory starring Alec Guiness recently.

This made me think of another film (b&w?) the other day but can't think of it's title...

I'm sure Gordon Jackson played a PTI in it and it was about a Canadian Scottish mob going through basic in WWII.

Anyone remember the title?...

3. 'The Way Ahead' is another Niven classic. One of those cheery 'it'll be alright, you'll see' films we used to do so well.

'The Foreman Went to France' is another good one for a Bank Holiday weekend.

4. Away from the military theme for a second,but I love David Lynch's version of Dune.

An absolute mess of a film but I find it really appealing for some reason.

Am I alone in this quirk?

5. 'Went the day well', possibly the inspiration for 'The Eagle Has Landed' except it's the villagers that nobble Jerry not Larry Hagman and co.(and much better for it).

6. Tunes of Glory

Gets my vote every time. Absolutely classic post-war British film.

Another good one, IMHO, is The Hill, starring Sean Connery.

He also made a bw film in which he played a truck driver. One of his first films I think.

7. That one with Dirk Bogade as a RA WO2 POW who helped organised some big jail break. B&W jobbie, which is a shame.

8. I thought it was pretty good too - 'Dune' the book is weird, so a weird film adaptation was fine by me - though the 'weirding modules' bit was, oddly enough, just dim, IMHO.

Was it Gerd Fobe that played Baron Harkonnen? He was great - and I liked the Mentats, too.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Password is Courage'

And some none military ones were good too. 'The Fast Lady' is one I like

10. Yup a strange book indeed,and the sequels only got weirder.

And no it was Kenneth Mcmillan who chewed the scenery as the Baron (thank you IMDB).

I loved the sarduakar in it.Creepy,creepy fuckers.

11. Hell Drivers (1957), respectable attempt to make quarrying look exciting.

12. How strange that this film is mentioned, I was trying(badly) to describe this film to a mate the other day.

13. Sailors Three......

[​IMG]

Actually it might qualify as a classic :?