Those Frenchies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Awol, Jun 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5054398.stm

Difficult one this. The French government and state railway have been fined 60,000 euros (which is not a lot) for transporting jews in WW2.

On the one hand, I'm thinking they deserved to be punished, but on the other, is this not passing judgement on the past, and where does it stop?

2. It's like punishing the present day government for the British Slave trade from centuries past.

Yes it was wrong, but it had bugger all to do with those in charge today. We can't keep going backwards.

3. What did they fine them for, the Train being late!. And where is the fine going too??????

4. True but have they really started going forwards?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,,1735755,00.html

Modern France has pretty well airbrushed its historical role in this period to only include the Resistance and De Gaulle's Free French. The fact remains that Petain and his buddies jumped on board the Nazi bandwagon, collaboration took place on a massive scale and - unlike the Germans - the French have never really faced and accepted their own past. An official apology for collaborating in genocide might shame the public sufficiently to turn opinion away from anti-semitism and that in itself is worthwhile.

5. I hate this modern way, of someone always having to take the rap for misdeeds of long ago.

It is not about finding the truth it was blately cashing in on those poor soles name and memory.
    Havent read the whole report, but I hope the money is goin to charities.

Modern companies should not be held responsible for anything in the past especially as long ago
    as that and the circumstances that created it.
    Half the World would be bankrupted if you look at companies cv's from history. :eek:

6. Very dodgy ground indeed and quite frankly I'm surprised at the frogs giving the case credence in the first place. I can't abide the current propensity for apologising for history; whilst I can perhaps understand the families of those transported wanting recognition of the injustices suffered and acknowledgement of responsibility I think to seek and accept financial compensation is distasteful. Global acceptance that the holocaust was an indefensible depraved atrocity, to which we all have a moral duty to ensure is never repeated, serves the memory of the slain without resorting to interminable litigation.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If they had to be fined surely they should have been fined in old Francs (not the new ones that preceeded the Euro)! :roll: