Those damn friction strips on DAFs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by vampireuk, Feb 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just taken a tumble and damn near broken my neck back home I'm trying to find something to put on the wooden stairs in our back garden so my parents don't slip and end up killing theirselves.

Has anybody got a clue where I could find those green sandpaper like strips used on DAF wheel arches to prevent people falling off the buggers?

Edit: Cancel that chaps, I've been pointed in the right direction for some of the stuff. :)
  2. its dead easy you varnish/paint the step, sprinkle sand over the wet varnish/paint,alow to dry and then revarnish/paint old boat builders trick
  3. Nail some barbed wire on them in a zig zag pattern using fencing staples. Hammer all the barbs down and it forms a good grippy surface. Chicken wire doesn't work so well.
  4. If you live near to Northampton contact;

BACA (Industrial Safety & Workwear) on tel; 01604 499400, or

They sell a range of anti-slip paint, anti-slip cleat, anti-slip tape in 4 sizes, 25mm, 50mm, 100mm, 150mm all x 18 metres, kumfi tile pvc, ramped edge piece.

One of the above should be sufficent for your needs.
  5. You can have mine mate, they keep falling off my Daf.
  6. Sand/Glasspaper laid down with addhesive make ace non-slip patches, cheap too.
  7. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

8. Spot on, get fine sand, dry in the oven and tape off area of said stairs. Paint a strip of suitable width of clear epoxy, once tacky cover with sand and leave epoxy to cure. When cured, sweep surplus sand and put on a second coat of epoxy. Simples.