Those bloody stupid shades.....

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Goatman, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference

2. Leave it up to the individual

3. Eye contact is essential - leave them at base

4. You in the Army or auditioning for Hollywood ?

5. Any Hajii wants my shades he can try an' take 'em...

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So, which of these two would you go up and speak to voluntarily?

[​IMG] it TRUE that the" ballistic protection eyegear " is MANDATORY for some USFOR in theatre ?

tell me it ain't so, bro..... :cool:
  2. I was under the impression that the yanks ware shades to protect their eyes from eye injuries caused by shrapnel, splinters, dust, etc.
  3. You,ve never seen the british shades though now I'm told they get similar goggles and glasses .
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yes I have - got issued some but they were so pants I left them in my sturdy footlocker in Sultan Lines.....had to give the finestkind motorbike goggles back though.

GOKU - yeah....did you read to the foot of the post ? I'm rather hoping one of the Cousins with braid on his hat could give us the definitive word on this and we can stop sledging the pore Ground Recon Unit (Non Trainable) who is only following orders.

Befehl Ist befehl, nicht waar ?

Lee Shaver
  5. I dont see any problem in wearing them for driving or patrolling away from the hoi polloi, but once you're "in amongst it" and trying to create the right impression with the locals, stick em in your pocket.
  6. That's exactly the approach that I used. When in vehicles, wear them so that you can see all around. When on the ground, take them off, so that you can make eye contact with the locals.
  7. I've read a linked article (from ARRSE) on a US military website where a US Army Captain bemoans the force protection policy, including the mandatory wearing of goggles/ shades to protect the eyes as described.

So basically they are simply following their SOPs.

He was talking about the inherent nonsense of having to wear body armour, lid, leg protectors (if issued) and shades to run across the compound to go for a dump! He was saying that some Yank OCs are very snotty about it and will charge people for not doing so.