THOMAS MICHAEL (MAD MIKE HOARE) HAS DIED

THOMAS MICHAEL “MAD MIKE” HOARE
17 March 1919 – 2 February 2020
I just received a call from Mike’s daughter to tell me that Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare passed away peacefully this morning, Sunday 2 February 2020 in Durban, South Africa, in his 101st year. R.I.P. Mike.

(also posted in Military Obituaries)

A most interesting accountant. RIP, sir.

Good innings. RIP.

SA govt no doubt breathing slightly easier.

RIP , a very interesting chap, being a Merc doesn't always mean a short life span if you are smart.

JackSofty

Old-Salt
THOMAS MICHAEL “MAD MIKE” HOARE
17 March 1919 – 2 February 2020
I just received a call from Mike’s daughter to tell me that Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare passed away peacefully this morning, Sunday 2 February 2020 in Durban, South Africa, in his 101st year. R.I.P. Mike.

(also posted in Military Obituaries)
Many thanks for posting. It was only on Friday that I was trying to find any contact details of ‘Terry’ an old mate of mine (lost so many ties to people since my stupid brain injury made me even more stupid than before) who was a mate of Mike’s and was with him on more than one of his ‘capers’ and I was looking for any current intel. on the centagenarian himself having met the total gent of an Old Froth Blower a few times.
Larger than life, few of his kind around nowadays and fewer will be produced.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

A friend was saying that he must have outwitted quite a few enemies to have stuck around all this time. Nails!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
An absolute gentleman by all accounts. One of my ex's tried to find him a job in accountancy after his release from clink.

This is well worth a read: The Seychelles Affair

Bad CO

Admin
Hi post WW2 antics don't fit well with modern views on the post colonial period but what a life he led.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Bone question alert. Someone suggested on the Obits thread that any mercenary activity would designate him as a criminal. Does that depend on who he was fighting alongside? E.g. If he was defending people who were being persecuted by an oppressive regime? (Obviously this depends on the "moral" question rather than legality).

Sorry if this is a silly question, genuinely want to learn more.

Oyibo

LE
Bone question alert. Someone suggested on the Obits thread that any mercenary activity would designate him as a criminal. Does that depend on who he was fighting alongside? E.g. If he was defending people who were being persecuted by an oppressive regime? (Obviously this depends on the "moral" question rather than legality).

Sorry if this is a silly question, genuinely want to learn more.
The SA Government got themselves into a tangle on this one in the 'noughties'. PMCs were banned unless they were fighting for a revolutionary cause (to put it rather simplistically). As an extreme, and theoretical, example of how SA law could have been interpreted, Saffers could have gone to Iraq to fight as contractors for the Mahdi Army, but not the allied coalition.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The SA Government got themselves into a tangle on this one in the 'noughties'. PMCs were banned unless they were fighting for a revolutionary cause (to put it rather simplistically). As an extreme, and theoretical, example of how SA law could have been interpreted, Saffers could have gone to Iraq to fight as contractors for the Mahdi Army, but not the allied coalition.
A bit like guys from over here getting sent to prison for fighting alongside the Kurds while there's been talk of tempting jihadis back with free housing?

Oyibo

LE
A bit like guys from over here getting sent to prison for fighting alongside the Kurds while there's been talk of tempting jihadis back with free housing?
Depends on which Kurds.

par avion

War Hero
Wasn't there even questions about it affecting the many White South Africans joining the British Army at the time ?

Sad news. I read his book while I was in Sierra Leone on Op PALLISER. It made for some interesting conversations!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Do you have content ouwith pay wall?
Damn. No. Outline - and bear in mind it's not the most generously-minded obit I've ever read:

Not as good as he thought he was, but brilliant at playing the role of a competent mercenary commander, sufficiently so that the lads went along with it. Gun shy on occasion.

WWII record probably walted up a bit - rather than intense front-line combat, bulk of time spent in finance posts and on personal staff of CinC SEAC.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
RIP Sir! A man who lived life to the full and a true soldier of fortune.

Latest Threads