Thomas Cook and its 3.5 Million blood money

Oh I don't know. Not saying it's right but business is business. All the *big companies would do the same. It's the way of corporate phycopath mentality.

I'll still be using them.

* not limited to just holiday companies. But any big corporation. And as usual it's IMHO.

Last edited:

philc

LE
It's not been a good week for them, they will weather out the storm and it's all smiles in a few months. It's what heartless shits do.

Im not sure what they are supposed to have done, TC are not responsible for the accident and in the corporate world an apology is often akin to admitting culpability

Note
The company has refused point-blank to apologise and instead tried to shift all the blame on to Greek hoteliers and maintenance men.

I rather think they are the guilty partys,

TC can perhaps be held responsible for not ensuring the hotel was of a high enough standard, but would it really have had sufficient access to assess the air conditioning plant.

Another "Nasty business" poor Pleb outrage story.

Edit to add regarding the disparity - I suspect there is a standard figure payable in these circumstances and the company has paid that figure.

Thomas cook however has challenged on different grounds and obviously the amount of compensation is pre determined.
Worth considering that if this incident wrecked their reputation its a lot of jobs lost not just profits in the Boards pockets.

Last edited:
B

Baldricks Batman

Im not sure what they are supposed to have done, TC are not responsible for the accident and in the corporate world an apology is often akin to admitting culpability

Note
The company has refused point-blank to apologise and instead tried to shift all the blame on to Greek hoteliers and maintenance men.

I rather think they are the guilty partys,

TC can perhaps be held responsible for not ensuring the hotel was of a high enough standard, but would it really have had sufficient access to assess the air conditioning plant.

Another "Nasty business" poor Pleb outrage story.
i'd be pretty outraged if it was my kids .

And TC could have waved the offer or handed it to the parents for them to decide what to do with it ,and lastly if they are allowing people to holiday in effectively gas chambers they in the eyes of most sane people ARE responsible ,instead they just kick the can down the road knowing these 'plebs' will end up bankrupting themselves trying to fight them .

The morale of the story here of course is if you want a cheap getaway you get the trappings with it !

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd be pretty outraged if it was my kids .

And TC could have waved the offer or handed it to the parents for them to decide what to do with it ,and lastly if they are allowing people to holiday in effectively gas chambers they in the eyes of most sane people ARE responsible ,instead they just kick the can down the road knowing these 'plebs' will end up bankrupting themselves trying to fight them .

The moral of the story here of course is if you want a cheap getaway you get the trappings with it !
The assumption is that TC knew the bungalow was a death trap - since their employees were cleared at trial I would argue they didn't, in which case no reasonable person could argue they knowingly allowed it.

I don't dispute that TCs attitude stinks.
I agree that the sum paid to the family is a paltry figure, however that figure is paid by the Greek company responsible not TC. So although perhaps my 1st post was a bit full of wibble the point I was trying to make was it appears the paltry figure paid is nothing to do with TC.

Completely agree with the last line, equally applicable to cheap flights.

If TC have any sense they pay the family a million from the compensation they received and an apology as a gesture of goodwill - (but ensure that people understand its not an admission of culpability.

My husband and I took a TC holiday to Praia De Luz and it ended catastophically. I DEMAND compo and whom do I contact?
May I suggest a team of lawyers expert in libel law? Slightly left of field, I know, but when various people suggest that a few simple applications of common sense on your part might have avoided the catastrophe, your lawyers can take them to the cleaners while some tabloids simper in a sympathetic manner. Or something like that.

May I suggest a team of lawyers expert in libel law? Slightly left of field, I know, but when various people suggest that a few simple applications of common sense on your part might have avoided the catastrophe, your lawyers can take them to the cleaners while some tabloids simper in a sympathetic manner. Or something like that.
If I may expand on this with the suggestion that you set up a small business but gently imply that its to assist in rectifying the catastrophe. It helps if you leave people with the notion its a charity - but whatever you do don't say that, just don correct anybody.

Just wait until M**snet wake up to this - TC will suddenly decide to donate £3.5m "to a kids charity"
They couldn't give the money to the family, as it would set a precedent; so giving it to charity is exactly what they should have done. I'm sure their PR mongs said as much.

According to Sky news, their share price has dropped 75 million in the last week . The Twitter storm has been brutal too.

Their PR company is utterly incompetent, made them look like a big uncaring slippery corporation. Which they obviously are.

For future reference, if peoples kids die on your holiday then say sorry, pay money to them and safeguard any repeat of the incident. Do not under any circumstances behave like an 80s American lawyer when pictures of 2 dead cute kids are being seen by the entire world.

They have behaved like high handed scumbags and I hope they go bust.

Latest Threads