• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Thistle Milk; Fact or Fiction?

In a few weeks time, I have a liver function test coming up that I have to pass.

Now, people have advised that to pass one I need two months off drinking prior to taking it. This alarms me.

I'm not a heavy drinker by any means.....I go out on a binge maybe once a month and normally only drink on Saturday night up at the rugby club. By what the doctors say, that is still probably too much.

I have come accross this vitamin supplement called Thistle Milk which claims to greatly increase liver repair, protection & function.....is this true?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
A friend of mine who is a pharmacist takes it and she must know what she's doing. Personally i've no idea but maybe I should try some.

Its milk thistle and I believe its given to recovering alcoholics for that very reason. However Im not a doctor or in any way medically qualified so standing by to be corrected.

I think its one of those things that hasn't been officially researched, but seems to work regardless. I take it before a night out and before bed when i get home, and it seems to make hangovers more bearable. I'm guessing it can't hurt even if you find it doesn't help.

Milk thistle seed is the thing you should be looking for. Dandelion is also a hepatic supportive. I will give you a link of a good supplier if you like. Herbalists do not advise you to take the extracts but to take a tincture instead (a few drops in a glass of water three or four times a day). I am of the opinion that the extracts may well be better than nothing but I use tinctures myself as I find it easier to remember to take them when I'm drinking water or fruit juice than tablets which I always forget to take

If you have an underlying illness or are taking other medication do not take these supplements wIthout consulting a herbalist registers with the NIMH. These things can work and you don't want to pissing about with your organs, you'll miss them when they're gone.

I'm presuming if they did actually do any damage then they would be unavailable over the counter?
From here: Chinese medicine has caused kidney failure and even cancer. So how safe are these popular 'cures' | Mail Online

Under EU rules that came into force last April, by 2011 all medicinal herbs must be officially certified as safe before being sold. The regulations aim to ensure quality control, reporting of adverse effects and proper labelling of contents. All of this is long overdue.

And deadly nightshade is organic and available from hedgerows everywhere....

I had a Liver Function Test for the job I'm in now, I'd been on the piss for weeks (months) before taking it.

I think they are only looking to see if your liver is damaged, I doubt you have very much to worry about.

I take Milk Thistle as part of my routine vitamins, I don't know if it does any good or not.
I do binge it up a bit when I'm on time off from work so it can't do any harm.

I had a Liver Function Test for the job I'm in now, I'd been on the piss for weeks (months) before taking it.

I think they are only looking to see if your liver is damaged, I doubt you have very much to worry about.

I take Milk Thistle as part of my routine vitamins, I don't know if it does any good or not.
I do binge it up a bit when I'm on time off from work so it can't do any harm.
What does a liver function test actually consist of, and what is it genuinely testing for?

I have recently had the same test and am waiting the results, however on speaking to a consultant friend of mine he said that even though the liver does to some extent repair itself that if you have in the past given it a serious kicking that the enzyme tests will always come back poor whether you had stopped on the ale last week or 2 years ago? Until I get my results back I'm not sure what will or will not be found. I had to have mine to get my licence back after disqualification, apparently even though I can at the moment drive this can be revoked on recieving negative results and be challenged only through a magistrates court hearing. Its a very grey area and vague in actual helpful info. Apparently milk thistle does help but top tip is to not drink for about 4 days and drink nothing but water, this will ensure that there is absolutely no alcohol in your system but will not stop the results showing if you have seriously arrse raped your liver in the past.

Latest Threads