Thistle Milk; Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by blonde_guy, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a few weeks time, I have a liver function test coming up that I have to pass.

Now, people have advised that to pass one I need two months off drinking prior to taking it. This alarms me.

I'm not a heavy drinker by any means.....I go out on a binge maybe once a month and normally only drink on Saturday night up at the rugby club. By what the doctors say, that is still probably too much.

I have come accross this vitamin supplement called Thistle Milk which claims to greatly increase liver repair, protection & function.....is this true?

2. A friend of mine who is a pharmacist takes it and she must know what she's doing. Personally i've no idea but maybe I should try some.

3. Its milk thistle and I believe its given to recovering alcoholics for that very reason. However Im not a doctor or in any way medically qualified so standing by to be corrected.

4. I think its one of those things that hasn't been officially researched, but seems to work regardless. I take it before a night out and before bed when i get home, and it seems to make hangovers more bearable. I'm guessing it can't hurt even if you find it doesn't help.

5. In tablet form or liquid?

6. tablets the liquid tastes YAK

7. msr

msr LE

8. Milk thistle seed is the thing you should be looking for. Dandelion is also a hepatic supportive. I will give you a link of a good supplier if you like. Herbalists do not advise you to take the extracts but to take a tincture instead (a few drops in a glass of water three or four times a day). I am of the opinion that the extracts may well be better than nothing but I use tinctures myself as I find it easier to remember to take them when I'm drinking water or fruit juice than tablets which I always forget to take

If you have an underlying illness or are taking other medication do not take these supplements wIthout consulting a herbalist registers with the NIMH. These things can work and you don't want to pissing about with your organs, you'll miss them when they're gone.

9. The seeds of the milk thistle have been used for 2000 years to treat chronic liver disease and protect the liver against toxins.[2][1] Increasing research is being undertaken on the physiological effects, therapeutic properties and possible medical uses of milk thistle.[3]

Milk thistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. msr

msr LE

Just because they have been taken for 2000 years, doesn't mean they work ;)

11. It's amazing what people have believed in for over 2000 years.

12. I'm presuming if they did actually do any damage then they would be unavailable over the counter?

13. Then again some have been taken for 2000 years an they do work :wink:

Aspirin

14. Not true, herbal medicine does not require testing or proof.