Thise who flaunt the poppy on their lapels know they mock the war dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dave8307, Nov 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know what it's like to be a mong, spas, fuzzy-wuzzy, lifeboat or donkey* but still donate to these causes & others...

FFS wear a poppy or don't, it's your choice. To quote, "You can rob me, you can starve me...and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

*well obviously I know what it's like to be hung like a donkey :wink:
    • Like Like x 6
  2. I agree with him about the likes of the BBC - I'd rather see a newsreader not wearing one then know the only reason they are is because the BBC wardrobe department gets a load delivered to them.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mr Fisk might just like to remember that he can spout his views without fear of being arrested because so much blood has been spilled on his behalf.

Big fan of Gadhafi so he´s a bit p*ss*d off at the moment,******!
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Who cares what spakker wears them. As long as they have donated and it goes to the right cause
    • Like Like x 14
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I do have to say (and I can't be arrsed reading the article) that there is a type of rememberance person who seems more like a cheerleader than a rememberer. That said a good old chunk of the population were cheerleading when these recent wars started, even with all the demonstrators who said 'not in our name'. Some years later people have sobered slightly, with maybe enough lads and lasses having died to have that 'wait a moment' epiphany even if they're not directly effected. I have to say it's quite scary how rapidly the reports of KIAs are coming in over the last few weeks/months, it use to be every few weeks or a month, it almost seems weekly at the moment. Perhaps politicians will realise that boots on the ground (other than SF) is a zulu option rather than getting their jollies off at being a 'war leader', and the population realise that our leaders and important people are ****ing psychos.

It's all well and good remembering lads and lasses (and even enemy) sacrifices at the going down and the morning, but how about when it's the middle of the day when there's enough light to see clearly or practice foresight?

I wrote in a card of support recently, and I used a phrase I find myself using quite often 'The British Army doesn't choose enemies, it fights them'.
  6. Anyone know if the Independent is soft and absorbent. If so, I might buy a copy.
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well....maybe you should instead of taking the sub-headline as an accurate reflection.

He is recalling his father - a veteran of 3rd Arras;
    A fellow journalist ( who had covered the Falklands as a young embed) I encountered in Afghanistan earlier this year told me that Fisk had lost the plot. His anti-Americansim ( and virulently anti Israeli) stance has made him a lot of enemies.

But when I read this piece, I recalled what Harry Patch , the Last Fighting Tommy, said about the whole Remembrance Day issue.....look it up. If any man had a right to those views it was Harry Patch.....and Robert Fisk's Dad....

Said it.

Remember the dead.....cherish the living.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Given that he was writing that from his "hotel room in Damascus' where he presumably still is, I don't know how true that is.
  9. Having read it, I think young Fisk needs to get himself in the Army quick, smart. Classic Father issues.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I wouldn't care if Ian Huntley wore one ad long as the RBL got a quid.
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The British Army may be hard up for recruits....but 'young Fisky' is getting a bit long in the tooth for Basic....he was based in Beirut throughout the Lebanese civil war in the 1980s , despite the daily and very real possibility of being kidnapped A La Terry was in Beirut that he picked up the dim view of the IDF after they allowed the Phalange(?) militia into the two refugee camps on the border there.....

Then in the early 90s he made himself a bit of a pain to the US authorities by covering/uncovering some rather careless Warthog strikes on a column of unarmed civilians in Kosovo.....ah how time flies....been around the block and then some....recently covered the Libyan conflict and if he's in Syria its a fair bet it is all about to kick off......a bit like Kate Adie (AKA 'The Angel of Death' ) when he rocks up it's time to keep your CBA within arm's length....
  12. He still hates himself though
  13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Mon Cher Grenouille - a toi le dernier mot ;-)
  14. I read the article and found it to be a tad shite. This Robert Fisk is a journalist and he has used his father and him trying to tell us that he has been to many wars and so his opinion counts (typical journo scum). Well I am sorry it doesn't. He may have been to many wars, but only as a journalist, so in essence he is a war tourist and can get out whenever he wants.

What he does not realise is that the act of wearing a poppy is the act of remembering those that have died for this country and its freedoms. Freedoms he is using to insult the act of remembrance. Wearing a poppy is not trying to imagine what it was like in the trenches as he seems to think, for that is impossible. Soldiers today can't imagine what it was like, only those that were there can.
    • Like Like x 14